Author Topic: DMB  (Read 4599 times)

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
Re: DMB
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2014, 10:55:24 AM »
DMB is one of those polarizing bands that you either get, or don't. Much like the Dead or Phish. They've been good customers of mine for over 12 years, and make boatloads of money every summer. They have a semi trailer that's a playroom for the kids. They have another that's a workout room. I can go to any DMB show I want. I went once (Buddy Guy was the opener). I left a few songs into their set.  8) Just not for me. Killer musicianship though.

You hit two really important points: you either get it or you don't, and the killer musicianship. I had forgotten that when they opened for Aquarium Rescue Unit before they were big, ARU had the drummer sit in on "Time is Free" one of the most intense songs, and he tore it up! Very few people could have sat in with ARU, this was around 1992 or 3. I think that musicianship angle is an important aspect of DMB, something that sets them apart from other mainstream stuff. But also, the musicianship wasn't enough for me personally in the case of DMB.

I do agree though - non-musicians listen to music with a different set of ears entirely. It`s not just about the songs - it`s about the vibe, the fact that their friends are into the music too, the concert experience, the airplay, the videos ..... there`s alot of variables at play there. Who are we to judge?

I think it's important to remember that there are still some non-musicians that still appreciate good musicianship, and to me that seems to be part of the appeal of DMB, though once a band gets HUGE maybe it's less of a factor?

I'm not putting it down, lots of people like that stuff because they somehow consider it deep and non-childish. I can listen to music like that too (quote Frank Zappa: "I can take about an hour of the Tower of Power as long as I get some golden shower ..."), but after an hour or so I need something adolescent and escapist again!

I believe the quote is actually "I can take about an hour ON the Tower of Power as long as I gets a little golden shower ..." and I don't think he was referring to the band...  ;D

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2014, 10:58:58 AM »
One of my friends says this is the DMB song which she thinks is possibly her favorite.  I can't listen all the way through, just like I can't listen all the way through any of his songs.  In my mind, the people marketing this are geniuses who could sell snow to an Eskimo. 

It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2014, 11:08:29 AM »

I believe the quote is actually "I can take about an hour ON the Tower of Power as long as I gets a little golden shower ..." and I don't think he was referring to the band...  ;D

Shucks, I should listen more often to Uncle Frank.

Note to self: Bands that have their living rooms on stage (in part or in whole) are generally not very "rawk". That is another thing to watch out for - besides whether they smash Strats.  :mrgreen:

Flash thought: People who think DMB rocks probably think that Radiohead rocks too. Now I feel, sigh, miserable again, time for another dose of Mud ...
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 01:23:43 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2014, 02:31:49 PM »
Radiohead.  That's another band I've never figured out.  I remember hearing about the hoopla, people raving about them.  I tried listening to them, watched videos, even saw a good part of a concert on TV.  I remained puzzled even after hearing quite a big chunk of their music. 
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 07:40:37 PM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2014, 08:14:13 PM »
One of my friends says this is the DMB song which she thinks is possibly her favorite.  I can't listen all the way through, just like I can't listen all the way through any of his songs.  In my mind, the people marketing this are geniuses who could sell snow to an Eskimo. 

I didn't make it through the first minute. Good lord, that's awful. Even worse than having to listen to Jason Mraz.

OTOH I shouldn't have tried to listen to it right after listening to a Mitch Ryder playlist on YT. Makes DMB sound even worse by comparison.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2014, 08:37:15 PM »
A lot of musicians pale next to Mitch Ryder Good lord, that man can still cook....

Here's 2008...

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2014, 10:12:28 PM »
I didn't make it through the first minute. Good lord, that's awful. Even worse than having to listen to Jason Mraz.

OTOH I shouldn't have tried to listen to it right after listening to a Mitch Ryder playlist on YT. Makes DMB sound even worse by comparison.

I hardly know what to say.  Obviously, there are plenty of people that like the music and are surprised that other people don't like it.  I speak from experience.  But give me Mitch Ryder, please. 

--Blaise Pascal

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2014, 11:25:50 PM »
Acid helps.

Hydrochloric...? :o :mrgreen:

Spinning off in another direction, musically, but in the muzak form... Jackie's a C&W fan and when she was younger saw many of the legends from Cash and the Carters to Dolly, Loretta, Tammy, etc, but took in "new-country" only reticently - admittedly, her present fave, Alan Jackson, is more old-school than new - but much of it is in that same vein - slick, clean, generic...

Would Garth Brooks be an equivalent to DMB in that genre...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2014, 07:08:54 AM »
Hey, no knocking Garth here!!! I love some of the stuff he did, whenever I hear this here (original version unfortunately not available on youtube), a film starts running in my head and I get goosebumps (of the nice kind!).

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2014, 10:47:45 AM »
Hydrochloric...? :o :mrgreen:

Spinning off in another direction, musically, but in the muzak form... Jackie's a C&W fan and when she was younger saw many of the legends from Cash and the Carters to Dolly, Loretta, Tammy, etc, but took in "new-country" only reticently - admittedly, her present fave, Alan Jackson, is more old-school than new - but much of it is in that same vein - slick, clean, generic...

Would Garth Brooks be an equivalent to DMB in that genre...?

I don't see even a remote correlation. Sure, Garth isn't old fashioned country but his music and his outlook are about 180 degrees from Dave Matthews.

OTOH compared to the current crop of poseurs, some people think Garth is old fashioned country.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2014, 06:48:21 PM »

I too didn't make it a minute. I like most kinds of music, maybe it's just that I prefer music with bass and drums. I am certainly not a DMB fan, but there is one song that I really like. It does have bass and drums and a nice assortment of styles, and offers a nice balance of hope and despair.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2014, 12:26:33 AM »
In the immortal words of the Family Stone, "Different strokes for different folks, and so on and so on and scoobie doobie doobie."

I've always found DMB terminally boring, but it doesn't offend me that so many people love them.  Likewise, you guys aren't into Radiohead, but I loves me some Radiohead.  They haven't cared about "rock" per se for at least 15 years, they're just making the music that interests them - and, usually, me.

And several people in this thread referenced the Doors, who I think of as another one of those polarizing bands - people are either fans or hate them and I haven't run into a lot of people who are indifferent to them.  I've long been in the "hate" camp, but I certainly won't waste time arguing with someone who enjoys Mr. Manzarek's noodling for reasons that continue to escape me :)  If you love it and I don't, or vice versa, it doesn't make me respect you less.

Hmm. Did I actually say anything?
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2014, 06:27:00 AM »
I just saw Mitch Ryder on the Happy Together tour that Flo and Eddie (Turtles and Frank Zappa singers)headline. He was super cool and told the story about how his song Sock it to me got banned on radio because of being too sexually suggestive forcing him to change the lyrics. He sang the original version at the show and I don't know what the fuss was about.

Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2014, 07:59:43 AM »
the fuss was that fifty years ago radio was a wee bit different than it is today. never a DMB fan,i do like the fact that he plays an acoustic guitar. really cuts down on mindless solos and gives the other guys a chance to get the spotlight. :o
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2014, 09:04:46 AM »
But couldn't he smash it once in a while at least?  :mrgreen:

I never "got" the Doors in the sixties, seventies and eighties. Things changed in the nineties and today I'm a card-carrying fan - especially of Manzareks "noodling".