Author Topic: New Ampeg V4-B ?  (Read 17678 times)

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
Re: New Ampeg V4-B ?
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2013, 04:39:14 PM »
The V-4BH would have been better marketed under a different name. It really was very little like the old V-4B. SLM's products didn't have the best reliability, but they were worlds better than what came after. If they had gone the route that Loud is now following but made the amps in the US with the same quality they had then, they would have been more successful, but it seemed that most of their design innovation was used in the Audio Centron and Crate brands. They treated Ampeg like what it was: a reliably selling stage standard, but only Gibson can get by with making 70% of their production Les Pauls.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2013, 08:04:21 AM »
I run mine paired with an Ampeg SVT-LGS (Simmons cab with JBLs, 4 ohms) and it really booms.

That's gotta sound great! I might build myself a 2x15 one of these days.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2013, 08:42:16 AM »
Here's an alternative: 225 watts, 6 EL34, 57 lbs, Made in USA, 5 year warranty, $900.

https://www.peavey.com/products/index.cfm/item/811/116722/Tour%26trade%3B%26nbsp%3BVB%26%238209%3B2

Whoops, appears to be discontinued.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 08:48:24 AM by dadagoboi »

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2013, 06:38:25 PM »
Here's an alternative: 225 watts, 6 EL34, 57 lbs, Made in USA, 5 year warranty, $900.
Whoops, appears to be discontinued.

It's a damn shame, too. Peavey introduced that amp in 2007, just in time for the economy to crash. It is one KILLER bass amp and hits well above its weight range in tone and volume. A couple of bullshitting shillers on TB ran a smear campaign against that amp and it worked. I'd take one in a second, but I'm not one of the legions of teenaged beginners and late-middle-age professional amp shillers, so I don't count. It just goes to show that for the money one would have to spend on Loud/Ampeg's new "V-4B" there are many superior alternatives in both quality AND price.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2013, 02:24:20 AM »
There's a NOS VB-2 on eBay right now from an authorized dealer, full warranty and all. No affiliation, just passing along a great amp.

dandood

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2014, 02:10:36 PM »
I actually just bought a new V4-b reissue.   I was hesitant to get it because of threads like this, but I'm incredibly glad to have it.   It sounds amazing!   

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2014, 03:35:23 PM »
I've heard demos of the new V4. It DOES sound good, but don't expect it to still be chugging along after 40 years like the originals. I would certainly invest in a padded road case if I had one and intended to play out with it at all.

dandood

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2014, 05:20:47 PM »
Well, I don't expect that I'll be chugging along in 40 years either, and I bought it to record with.     So far it's been very reliable and the sound is exactly what I wanted.    I'm really glad to have it !!!

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2014, 06:37:16 PM »
There's a NOS VB-2 on eBay right now from an authorized dealer, full warranty and all. No affiliation, just passing along a great amp.

Musicians Fiend claims to have them in stock also, both new & used.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/peavey-tour-vb-2-tube-bass-amp-head

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2014, 05:36:18 AM »

Musicians Fiend claims to have them in stock also, both new & used.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/peavey-tour-vb-2-tube-bass-amp-head

I think I started the rumor they were out of production.  I almost bought a used one on TB a few months ago but lost interest when the owner wouldn't answer any questions.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2014, 07:36:10 PM »
I think I started the rumor they were out of production.  I almost bought a used one on TB a few months ago but lost interest when the owner wouldn't answer any questions.

They WERE out of production for a few years. I wonder if the newer ones are still made in the USA?

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2014, 08:25:58 PM »
They WERE out of production for a few years. I wonder if the newer ones are still made in the USA?

I read a user review somewhere that they're made in China.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2014, 08:50:55 PM »
Peavey VB-2 Made in USA, Ampeg V4-B Made in China

http://www.peavey.com/products/index.cfm/item/811/116722/Tour%26trade%3BVB-2

I've been an Ampeg guy since 1966.  Haven't been very happy with them after my PF 500 crapped out.  It goes to ThunderBucker tomorrow to see if it can be salvaged.

stiles72

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2014, 12:45:21 PM »
I like my Ampegs as well, and never had any problems with SLM era gear. The new PF cabs seem to be built well enough and they look and sound nice, but the head is too unreliable for me. I realize new products may need to have the bugs worked out of them, but I've smoked three PF500's just through normal use (not abusing them) and just dont trust it enough to gig with it as my sole amp.

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2014, 09:52:56 AM »
Re the PF cabs: I have a friend who also smoked a PF 500 amp and he has the 15" cabinet left. He went ahead and bought a new GK combo after trying out mine as he was fed up w/ the new Ampeg. I' m thinking of taking the 15" off his hands as The cabs seem to have no inherent problems from what I am gathering. Any bodybhave anynprobs with the PF cabs?