Author Topic: New Ampeg V4-B ?  (Read 17673 times)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: New Ampeg V4-B ?
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2013, 11:57:41 PM »
Errm... guys... The old seventies V4B's were partly PCB wired too...
At least mine is. And the wiring has never been a problem.
Of course over the past forty year some components had to be replaced; blew the output transformer once, and a few resistors.
But other wise it's pretty indestructable.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2013, 11:14:27 AM »
Mine once took a dive from atop a 4x10 onto a paved parking lot with no ill effects. Since then, the only work it has needed was a cap job and a grounded AC cord.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2013, 01:10:49 PM »
Errm... guys... The old seventies V4B's were partly PCB wired too...
At least mine is. And the wiring has never been a problem.
Of course over the past forty year some components had to be replaced; blew the output transformer once, and a few resistors.
But other wise it's pretty indestructable.

That's my point: the new ones CANNOT be serviced at the component level. The pots are attached directly to a board and are low quality parts that cannot be removed without causing major damage to the whole assembly. Likewise, there are several surface mount resistors and capacitors which cannot even be tested without removing entire pcb's, and even then, that's only IF there are circuit access test points on the bottom of the board, which I seriously doubt. All of these issues are cost-cutting measures. There's nothing wrong with a circuit board, and if you'll note, nobody said old Ampegs lacked them.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2013, 01:25:39 PM »
Good! So we agree  ;D

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2013, 03:07:21 PM »
Good! So we agree  ;D

But do you understand that should any of the new amps have the same issues as the old ones, most of which are simply results of age and use, they can NOT be repaired AT ALL in many cases? For what Loud Tech is charging for their new Ampeg tube amps, buying a vintage version is the much smarter investment simply from the perspective of reliability.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2013, 12:10:38 AM »
buying a vintage version is the much smarter investment simply from the perspective of reliability.
Isn't that the case with almost any product you can think of these days?  :o :mrgreen:

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2013, 03:34:06 AM »
Isn't that the case with almost any product you can think of these days?  :o :mrgreen:

I have for about a decade tried to figure out how to make high quality, simple, handwired, cost effective guitar combos.
Small scale high quality production - with clever service plans so that guitarists (or bass players) come by for a periodic control.
But finding supplier deals for all parts needed is quite time consuming, it's not really survival of the fittest in this world - it's survival
of the biggest! What i did find out, to my surprise - is that a search for local parts manufacturers supplied me with amazingly
fine parts. Thats the goal, really - good for the environment too - and it seems that medium sized manufacturers have a different view
now. Most of the bigger industy in town are gone (glass, paper etc.) and the finance crisis some years back left the smaller ones shaking - thus making them more flexible perhaps.

But it's clear of course that making good quality, servicable amps at reasonable prices in vast numbers is near impossible these days.
Marshall did well for a long time, at least the stuff that moves through my shop has been quite serviceable - with
the possible exeption of one or two iffy valvestates.. but people tend to get rid of them instead of taking them to service.

Most pre-70's stuff is a joy to service.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2013, 08:14:03 AM »
lots of action on the TB sight.  I think Ampeg will have another big seller on their hands.  Hopefully the QC will be better than the PF heads they put out last few years.   Just back my mid 70's V4 from my tech guy who took 6-7 months to replace the guts of the midrange rocker as he wanted to find original parts (coils)..... it does sound sweet thru a 4 12 cab i have but weighs so damn much....

I would think about this reissue in a few years when the issues get worked out,    assuming it sounds close to an original  mainly because of the 41 pounds versus probably 65 for the 70's ones.   then again for this pricepoint i may just go and get an older SVT (pre asia)   as I have regretting selling mine since the day after i sold it.....
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2013, 03:12:53 PM »
I doubt there will be any issues worked out unless this is a runaway seller and they have to make more. Ampeg's amps are made in huge runs in contract factories. The same factory that made them a few months ago is probably making toasters or blu-ray players now. Ampeg has a certain amount of intentional parts overruns (pcb assemblies) that they use for warranty repairs, but there is NO "Ampeg" factory.

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2013, 04:18:08 PM »
assuming it sounds close to an original  mainly because of the 41 pounds versus probably 65 for the 70's ones.   

Or, you could buy a Traynor YBA-200 at the same weight as the V4B reissue, but with double the watts and at half the price.  The Traynor does the V4B thing very nicely.  Granted, it doesn't look as sexy as the Ampeg, but it's a great amp.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2013, 01:54:28 PM »
Or, you could buy a Traynor YBA-200 at the same weight as the V4B reissue, but with double the watts and at half the price.  The Traynor does the V4B thing very nicely.  Granted, it doesn't look as sexy as the Ampeg, but it's a great amp.

That's a MUCH better suggestion. Traynor actually MAKES and supports their products.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2013, 03:08:58 PM »
OUCH!

I have no problem with any of my 70's ampegs.   Don't ask about any of the newer stuff,  though the SVT 7 has been fine ,  so far.......fingers crossed.
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2013, 04:25:58 PM »
I just saw the V4B pricing at Thomann (due in stock on 4 October) - around US$1500.  Not cheap at all.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2013, 08:38:23 AM »
I wouldn't buy a new Ampeg. I'm a huge fan of their 70s stuff, and the SLM era seems pretty darn decent too. Plenty of excellent used ones out there. I sold my '74 V-4B 2 years ago for $595. 65 pounds is a lot for a 100 watt amp, but it was a sweet little tone machine!

stiles72

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2013, 11:50:05 AM »
Let's hope it is not as disappointing as the V4BH they made a few years ago.

I've been using a 2000 V4BH as my main amp for close to a year now, and think it's great.  The preamp section is basically the same as the SVT-CL, just half the power and weight. I've had many soundmen tell me they can't beleive it's only 100 watts - this thing is crazy loud - and I don't go for a grinding distorted mid range tone either. I'm going for a clean and deep tone.  I run mine paired with an Ampeg SVT-LGS (Simmons cab with JBLs, 4 ohms) and it really booms.