Author Topic: Boston  (Read 9936 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Boston
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2013, 07:22:20 PM »
I will omit comments on a couple of my own "hot button items above...

Just to say that it was REALLY interesting to drive home tonight (I hosted a conference in Denver) and listen to NPR covering the Boston situation from the time they identified the suspect hiding in a stored boat to the time he surrendered.  There was a neighbor (Keith something...) who spoke with the news host three times.  Keith did a fantastic job describing the scene and his observations, without getting into hyperbole.  He did as fine a job of reporting as any professional I've heard.  Love to meet the guy and complement him on his presence of mind and clear communication.

Anyhow, it was quite a drive to be able to listen while this was unfolding.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2013, 07:26:24 PM »
Kudos to the Boston PD for persevering in the pursuit and apprehension of the remaining Tsarnaev brother.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2013, 08:01:39 PM »
Fantastic police work!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2013, 08:45:08 PM »
Kudos to that eagle-eyed homeowner who went outside for a smoke and spotted the ripped tarp on his boat.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2013, 05:51:33 AM »
Kudos to that eagle-eyed homeowner who went outside for a smoke and spotted the ripped tarp on his boat.

For sure.  I think he's lucky there wasn't a confrontation with the bomber.  That could have ended badly for him as well.

Now we'll see how things unfold.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2013, 06:34:30 AM »
  While watching this unfold on network TV last night my daughter was monitoring the police scanner and reddit on her phone, she was way ahead of the network news. It was almost painful watching Diane Sawyer trying to keep the ball rolling on live TV. Congratulations to all involved. We can as a nation sleep a little better. Happy Gilmore had a great tweet "Boston is probably the only major city that if you f**k with them, they will shut down the whole city.....stop everything....and find you."
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 07:51:42 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2013, 06:43:30 AM »
Don't f**k with Boston.

That's a good one. 

:mrgreen:
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2013, 07:47:25 AM »
Man did you ever hit the nail on the head regarding our pathetic education system.  Right on.

I wish I were wrong.  But I've seen too many things with my own eyes, up close and personal. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2013, 09:03:16 AM »
I'll just dip my toe in this....

I think our education system works very well doing what it is designed to do - provided it's operating in an area with a decent social structure, families that care about education, lack of rampant crime and gangs.

It doesn't work as well where kids come from families that don't value education, where crime is rampant and where society is unstable.

I think that the failures of our education system are based more in the social setting around them than they are in the system or the curriculum, and I don't think that schools can fix what's wrong outside the school.

And as Forrest Gump said, "that's all I have to say about that" since I don't want to start a multi-page thread on the topic.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2013, 11:58:52 AM »
I'll just dip my toe in this....

I think our education system works very well doing what it is designed to do - provided it's operating in an area with a decent social structure, families that care about education, lack of rampant crime and gangs.

It doesn't work as well where kids come from families that don't value education, where crime is rampant and where society is unstable.

I think that the failures of our education system are based more in the social setting around them than they are in the system or the curriculum, and I don't think that schools can fix what's wrong outside the school.

And as Forrest Gump said, "that's all I have to say about that" since I don't want to start a multi-page thread on the topic.

Without going into too many specifics, I do seem to be able to help my friends recognize their true talents.  Because of that I've got one close friend who is currently working on her second degree and liking the idea of being involved in her true calling.  I may be doing the same thing with a second friend.  So, education itself can be wonderful sometimes.  However, I'm bothered by a lot of things, too, but also don't want a discussion on problems in education here.   
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 12:40:35 PM by westen »

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2013, 03:32:47 PM »
Fair enough, Westen - thanks.  And I hope you are able to help your friend.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2013, 03:38:23 PM »
Fair enough, Westen - thanks.  And I hope you are able to help your friend.

Thanks

--Blaise Pascal

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2013, 06:58:48 AM »
our education 'system' blows, being number 14 worldwide according to some studies. with all the resources available here, both monetary and otherwise this is a disgrace. truth is much of school age america is a fat, lazy trash culture with more interest in new cell phones than new books. societal disparities alone can't be blamed for this mess. i have no answers unforunately, just an opinion like everyone else. :sad:
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2013, 08:14:58 AM »
our education 'system' blows, being number 14 worldwide according to some studies. with all the resources available here, both monetary and otherwise this is a disgrace. truth is much of school age america is a fat, lazy trash culture with more interest in new cell phones than new books. societal disparities alone can't be blamed for this mess. i have no answers unforunately, just an opinion like everyone else. :sad:

You're correct, of course, but like most big problems, this one has its roots in a myriad of little problems that have been allowed to fester over the years. It's like the car where nobody bothered to figure out that the musty smell was caused by water leaking into the passenger compartment (just hang another air freshener), and settling under the carpet. Suddenly it's like "Hey, the floorboards are rotted out! How did that happen?"
The thing about America is that there are plenty of stories of those who have risen above adversities of all kinds, whether they be physical, social, financial or whatever. It all comes down to the individual, and as the parent of two teenage boys, it is a constant struggle to get the message across that we aren't really entitled to anything. I work with a younger (20s) guy who told me that his role model was Tony Montana (Scarface) because he came from nothing to be rich and powerful. I told him he might want to rethink that one.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2013, 10:52:15 AM »
Some interesting and relevant comments by all.  I especially agree with Nofi's comments.  However, I have unintentionally derailed this thread with my comments on education.  I understand that getting off the topic is usually okay.  But in this case I think it would be better to reserve discussion to Boston. 

--Blaise Pascal