Author Topic: Music Man HD-130 and Ampeg cab review  (Read 45826 times)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: Music Man HD-130 and Ampeg cab review
« Reply #75 on: May 13, 2013, 02:04:42 PM »

guys i was only saying to  take them out once so he knows whats in there in case they will not let him open it up to see.   not like GC is run by people that have a clue....

i would probably replace then anyway as they are already almost 40 years old and are probably loose already...  mine is somewhat iffy and is overdue for a good plate and new jack anyway...

Silicone seal, contact cement or superglue gel will all do the job on loose jack cups in speaker cabs.  Superglue gel is the easiest, fastest and least messy.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 16, 2013, 10:56:16 PM »
love my 115rh but has a newly reconed 4 ohm EV 400 watt  pro in it so it probably sounds nothing like the
the 115RH been using it lately around the house under a 1976 fender super twin head.  180 watts of pure fender cleanness.  what a sh#tty guitar amp but makes a great bass amp.  great with passive basses.  think of the old black face amps nugent used....

Super Twin= guitar head version of the Studio Bass

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2013, 05:38:05 AM »
Well, I'm free today and might hit the Guitar Center and pick up the MM 130 and cabs.  I just love the sound I'm getting out of the first one I got.  It would be cool to have the full all matching stack instead of the cobbled together unit I have now.  Sure is tempting.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #78 on: May 17, 2013, 04:28:42 PM »
Go for it!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 18, 2013, 08:45:33 AM »
Super Twin= guitar head version of the Studio Bass

I know plus the useless distortion channel.  Maybe the worst i ever heard.    but the foot swithable extra eq is a nice feature.  Also for some reason the studio bass was a  8 ohmn  versus the 4 ohm on the guitar version.  I will not get technical on why or how or if it makes a difference because i don't know....
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 18, 2013, 11:12:06 AM »
Go for it!

I couldn't get everything done Friday, so next Friday I'll be in town for a meeting and check it out then.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 23, 2013, 02:40:21 AM »
I know plus the useless distortion channel.  Maybe the worst i ever heard.    but the foot swithable extra eq is a nice feature.  Also for some reason the studio bass was a  8 ohmn  versus the 4 ohm on the guitar version.  I will not get technical on why or how or if it makes a difference because i don't know....

If they used the same OT, which I'm sure they did, Fender probably just left the 4 ohm tap unconnected in the Studio bass to discourage trying to use it in a stack. BTW, the Super Twin's distortion channel is only slightly worse than the Ampeg V-9's, which sounds like a REALLY weak fuzz pedal, but gets helped out by having better overall EQ. The V9's distortion is pointless anyway. By the time you turn it up enough to get any volume out of it, the "clean" channel has more grunt, grind, AND volume. 

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 24, 2013, 06:09:41 PM »
Got it, more to follow!

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #83 on: May 24, 2013, 08:22:15 PM »
Now you are just being selfish  :mrgreen:
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 24, 2013, 08:24:40 PM »
score!!!
JIM

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 25, 2013, 03:56:37 AM »
It's got one replacement speaker and one might be original.  I'll pull them this weekend and post pics for discussion/input.  So far, they sound great except one cab has an audible rattle whenever I play a G, low or high.  Guess I found its resonant frequency!  Or the speaker has a flaw.  We'll see.

The condition for a 40 year old unit is really good, very few nicks and just a little rust on one handle.  Taking it to practice on Wednesday.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 25, 2013, 09:30:33 AM »
It's got one replacement speaker and one might be original.  I'll pull them this weekend and post pics for discussion/input.  So far, they sound great except one cab has an audible rattle whenever I play a G, low or high.  Guess I found its resonant frequency!  Or the speaker has a flaw.  We'll see.

Tracking down frequency rattles can be very challenging. Loctite has a product that is great, use it on every screw and bolt in the cabinet, inside and out. Little rubber washers can do wonders too. Every piece of sound equipment I have ever open up is loaded with Loctite and has a rubber washer any place I can use one.
Rick

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 25, 2013, 09:41:27 AM »
remember  to check the ohms of the individual cabs .  stock shoud be 8..  and the head speaker out is series so you would need to go cab to cab and 4 ohm setting.  both into head  would be 16 ohm which is not one of the choices.
JIM

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 25, 2013, 12:08:32 PM »
Tracking down frequency rattles can be very challenging. Loctite has a product that is great, use it on every screw and bolt in the cabinet, inside and out. Little rubber washers can do wonders too. Every piece of sound equipment I have ever open up is loaded with Loctite and has a rubber washer any place I can use one.
Rick

Great idea, will try that.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 25, 2013, 12:09:32 PM »
remember  to check the ohms of the individual cabs .  stock shoud be 8..  and the head speaker out is series so you would need to go cab to cab and 4 ohm setting.  both into head  would be 16 ohm which is not one of the choices.

Will do Jim.  I'll post some pics too when I have a chance. 

Hope all is well with you!