Author Topic: A new first - fired for my age  (Read 8004 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: A new first - fired for my age
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2013, 04:10:39 AM »
Neither Catholic nor Rob Halford. 

That's a bad mix then.

I wouldn't hold it against anyone, but burning the church down - German reprisal style - seems to be in order.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2013, 04:14:17 AM »
That's a bad mix then.

I wouldn't hold it against anyone, but burning the church down - German reprisal style - seems to be in order.

Well, I suppose I could summon my German/French heritage, and nail my outrage on the front door of the church.   :mrgreen:
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2013, 11:06:57 AM »
Might I suggest something "new" for the congregation to ponder upon...?

I had a guitarist friend who totally out of the blue wanted to play and sing that and "Angie" the other day.  Pretty cool, especially since I wasn't aware of the fact that she cared much about the Stones at all. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2013, 03:23:51 PM »
Well, I suppose I could summon my German/French heritage, and nail my outrage on the front door of the church.   :mrgreen:

But then you'd need to adopt mluther as a screen name.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Spiritbass

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2013, 06:24:02 AM »
Moves like that are made from vanity, not servitude.

This.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2013, 08:49:47 AM »
Here's the update.  I was there this morning (I help set up chairs), and the "new" band starts showing up.  I was talking with the drummer, who doesn't know me, he said they were putting together a new band, and were starting practice at 10:00.  I got to working on the bass. What a MESS!  The G saddle was not only missing a screw, and bottoming out, but the one saddle screw there was had been mounted upside down.  I found the same thing true about two other string saddle screws.  I fixed all but one for lack of time.  The spare bridge I had was fine thread, and I think his MIM Jazz has coarse, so I simply swapped out one whole saddle assembly.  I set it up as best I could in 5 minutes, and did a quick intonation.

When I left around 10:30, the bass player still hadn't showed up, and they were practicing for tomorrow's service without him.  The last time he played, he was out in the parking lot when the band came back up to play after the sermon.  I sense a pattern.  I don't know this kid, and I'm sure he's good guy, but he's obviously not focused on the times when he's asked to play.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2013, 10:19:41 AM »
Not always showing up to play is most likely the only characteristic he shares with Jaco. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2013, 11:01:43 AM »
I don't know this kid, and I'm sure he's good guy, but he's obviously not focused on the times when he's asked to play.

I think you're being much too kind.  He sounds like a medium flake with little sense of responsibility.  I predict that he will have a very short run as the bass player.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2013, 02:04:36 PM »
You should really rehearse a new song with them, Gary, something light and worshippy me thinks.

And I have good ideas for that priest too.

I believe I could get all creative with him. We haff ze vvvays to make you repent, Pfaffe ...

« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 02:10:11 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2013, 03:31:26 PM »
I think you're being much too kind.  He sounds like a medium flake with little sense of responsibility.  I predict that he will have a very short run as the bass player.

And then Gary will get a call: "Hey Gary, yeah, I'm sorry to bother you, but would you mind filling in tonight? And tomorrow? And next weekend?"
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2013, 03:49:32 PM »
I'll report how tomorrow went.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2013, 04:00:59 PM »
Don't forget to say your prayers and wish your replacement well... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2013, 10:47:21 AM »
Well, it went about as well as I had figured.  It's a new band, so they were a little stiff.  I've worked with the guitar player on other services, and he's pretty good.  The drummer is OK, but lacks the finesse and experience of the main drummer.  The bass player was good.  The sound was bad, but the bass sounded the best it's been for a long time.  I was looking over the settings at the sound board yesterday and made some adjustments.   8)

The worst moment came when they decided they were going to get down and funky, sort of an improv intro.  It was a little painful.  The bass player led off, and needs to listen to real funk.  The drummer was clearly weak, and couldn't lay down that solid back beat.  The fact that he could barely be heard made it worse.  They finally found the pocket about halfway into the song, partially because the bass player realized that playing fewer notes, with better placement, was the key.  I can't wait to see what unfolds at the mandatory meeting this week.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2013, 11:49:56 AM »
Geez, good luck Gary I quit my church band a few years back.  Too much drama for nothing.  The blue hairs in the pews didn't appreciate it any way!  Several members only came to church to play and show off.  A lack of connection to the theme makes for a hollow experience.  I hope yours turns out better!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 05:50:17 PM by drbassman »
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2013, 01:34:26 PM »
I've heard this story a million times.  Politics, power struggles, gossip and back stabbing - all in church!  These folks really need to look inward and remember they are in church and not junior high!

Case in point - My 81 year old mother has been playing the "traditional" service at their Baptist church for several years and she is damn good at it.  She's played for most of her life and a large portion in church.  The "music director" insists that every one that plays, and the choir, show up for Thursday night practice.  She's elderly and doesn't care to drive at night AND she knows just about every Baptist hymn ever written like the back of her hand.  She tells the director she is happy to play but she's not coming to rehearsal any more - the guy has a fit and tells her that she doesn't "get" to play if she won't.  She's playing for free and still tithing and they're still not happy.

The cure for this kind of BS in a church setting is to pay the musicians for the services and rehearsals.  It helps if you're not a member either.

My mom has a friend that plays the organ for a church and she's getting $100 per service every Sunday and she's done at noon.  She's paid when they want to rehearse as well - which is rare.  Seems like she's picking up at least $250 or so to play a wedding - rehearsal and ceremony.