Author Topic: A new first - fired for my age  (Read 7980 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: A new first - fired for my age
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2013, 06:11:59 AM »
Loved the BB clip!  I miss Belushi.  My dad was raised Catholic and told tales of old fashioned discipline.  Bill O'Reilly talks a lot about the nuns in his childhood in his book.  Pretty funny stuff, except when it was happening to you as a kid, I'm sure.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2013, 07:58:50 AM »
having done time in a catholic military school i can say preists hit just as hard as nuns. add in some slap happy officers and your in for a wonderful day. :rolleyes:
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2013, 12:21:20 PM »
When my daughter was in Jr. High they had a costume day - she went dressed as a nun.  At this time, she was doing a lot of skeet shooting and outdoor stuff.  She carried about a Smith & Wesson folding knife much of the time, and that day she had left it in her jeans pocket.

Someone had a birthday cake, and the teacher needed a knife - he said "Look, I know one of you guys has a big pocketknife.  If I can borrow it, nothing will be said and it's just between us."

So who immediately outs with the 3" folding knife?  My daughter, the nun!  The teacher was blown away.

Ever since then, I've told her that if she starts a band, it MUST be called "Nuns With Knives".
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2013, 01:15:36 PM »
When my daughter was in Jr. High they had a costume day - she went dressed as a nun.  At this time, she was doing a lot of skeet shooting and outdoor stuff.  She carried about a Smith & Wesson folding knife much of the time, and that day she had left it in her jeans pocket.

Someone had a birthday cake, and the teacher needed a knife - he said "Look, I know one of you guys has a big pocketknife.  If I can borrow it, nothing will be said and it's just between us."

So who immediately outs with the 3" folding knife?  My daughter, the nun!  The teacher was blown away.

Ever since then, I've told her that if she starts a band, it MUST be called "Nuns With Knives".

I love it, Nuns with Knives.  Kinda makes a ruler sound pretty tame!

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2013, 09:13:02 PM »
A buddy of mine was sent to Catholic boys boarding school in upstate New York in the late fifties and early sixties.  He said that they played hockey out doors all winter and it was always students against the brothers.  The brothers hated to loose and played very dirty to ensure a win.  It was always the new kids that wound up pounded into the ice evidently.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2013, 04:14:49 AM »
I'll bet everyone didn't get trophies either.

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2013, 03:07:25 PM »
The brothers hated to loose and played very dirty to ensure a win.  It was always the new kids that wound up pounded into the ice evidently.

Better to be pounded into the ice by the brothers, than pounded in the ass by them.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2013, 09:10:27 PM »
I'll bet everyone didn't get trophies either.

Nope, according to my friend keeping your teeth sounded like an award.  It does sound like they got a good education.  ;)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2013, 05:48:58 AM »
Better to be pounded into the ice by the brothers, than pounded in the ass by them.

Fortunately not all of them are pedophiles.  As a good Presbyterian, I always thought priests should be allowed to marry.  That would set them straight!!!  ;D

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2013, 05:49:46 AM »
Nope, according to my friend keeping your teeth sounded like an award.  It does sound like they got a good education.  ;)

The good is often overshadowed by few bad apples or behaviors.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2013, 08:37:16 PM »
I'm sure you've all been waiting for the update.  We all got there at 7:00.  Pastor Tom set the mood with a prayer, and the group went into 45 minutes of spontaneous a capella singing.  It was a little difficult at times, since I really don't know all the songs.   For a little background, there is a core group of musicians that have been part of the worship team for several years, and it shows when they play.  Solid as you can get.  It was one reason I was hesitant to start playing again, because I could tell that the rhythm section was the foundation of all of it.
So, he finally starts talking about how we should take it to the next level. We should embody the music and spirit of our faith when we play.  As he unfolds his vision, he tells us that we are splitting into 3 permanent musical groups, dedicated for the songs and rehearsing.  Then, he tells the worship leaders to pick their team.

In the end, it boiled down to something that I expected, and wasn't surprised by.  The bands are going to be - the old A listers, us new B listers, and the young kids.  Each band has to rehearse on their own, which is badly needed.  I've been winging it the whole time, and the few rehearsals I've been to have been less focused than bands who drank and smoked dope more than practice.

There was a lot of discussion and prayer over what seems to be nothing but an organizational meeting. It wasn't even a re-org.  Just a confirmation of what was already pretty clear.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2013, 07:18:02 AM »
Sounds like an interesting mix.  So, your church can support 3 different groups?  We had one group and it floundered.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2013, 11:56:53 AM »

In the end, it boiled down to something that I expected, and wasn't surprised by.  The bands are going to be - the old A listers, us new B listers, and the young kids.  Each band has to rehearse on their own, which is badly needed.  I've been winging it the whole time, and the few rehearsals I've been to have been less focused than bands who drank and smoked dope more than practice.

It will be interesting to see how well those three groups survive.  It would be unusual if they exhibited the same levels of interest and energy.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2013, 12:55:13 PM »
'Tis the Holy Trinity me thinks then. Father, Son and that other guy.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2013, 01:14:39 PM »
It will be interesting to see how well those three groups survive.  It would be unusual if they exhibited the same levels of interest and energy.

Well, here's an update.  For a number of reasons, primarily my shoulder and pressure at work, I have pulled out of playing.  It's tough playing when you can't feel your arm for 10 minutes while you play.  In the past couple months, it has been what I expected - nice people, good musicians, but not very organized, and not a solid sense of commitment to getting the music tight.  The drummer and I were starting to mesh pretty well, but I don't see this getting better and I need to focus on work right now.  My last service was this morning.  I wasn't able to confirm I was playing until yesterday and I didn't get a song list until after 10:00 pm last night.  I think you get the idea.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty