Author Topic: SG RI Scale Length  (Read 6332 times)

westen44

• View Profile
SG RI Scale Length
« on: January 31, 2013, 10:09:57 AM »
Does anyone know if they are planning to make any SG RI basses also in long scale?  I have an American friend living in Denmark who has heard a rumor about this.  He would buy two immediately if such a thing as an SG RI 34 inch bass existed.  I've looked on the Internet and found nothing about this.   
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: SG RI Scale Length
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 11:50:19 AM »
The rumor comes from a remark made by the Gibson salesman at NAMM just after the 2:40 remark in this video. I've seen nothing else about it anywhere. Uwe wondered if he might have been referring to the Epi EB-3; seems unlikely though, since he's only been talking about the Gibson brand. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 12:07:56 PM »
Rückkehr des SG-Z ...

With proper pups this time.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 01:33:35 PM »
The rumor comes from a remark made by the Gibson salesman at NAMM just after the 2:40 remark in this video. I've seen nothing else about it anywhere. Uwe wondered if he might have been referring to the Epi EB-3; seems unlikely though, since he's only been talking about the Gibson brand. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

I checked and that's where he heard it.  Certainly, he is taking the guy at his word and really wants a long scale SG RI; that's for sure.  I'd say it's GAS and beyond. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 02:09:57 PM »
He's saying, "We got the long scale (all the other basses), we got the short scale SG bass."  He's just recapping the lineup, NOT referencing a long scale SG.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 03:48:03 PM »
Of course, they could...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 05:35:26 PM »
He's saying, "We got the long scale (all the other basses), we got the short scale SG bass."  He's just recapping the lineup, NOT referencing a long scale SG.

Go back and listen again. He says "we got here the SG Standard bass, once again classic SG Bass that you know and you love, we got it in long scale, we got it short scale, we got that nice cherry as well..."

Despite that, I won't believe it unless I see something official. He's excited and trying to cover a lot of ground in three minutes, so we can't take this as any kind of confirmation.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 06:05:42 PM »
Of course, they could...

I'd buy that.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 06:10:14 PM »
I'd buy that.

If you did, you'd be disappointed in the tone.

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 07:49:48 PM »
I guess the G-3 did not stand a chance. Thats the one that interests me. Uwe should have his by now.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 07:51:50 PM »
No, he wouldn't (be disappointed I mean)! Because that is a picture not of a lame SG-Z, but of George's former one-off SG Bass built in the late nineties (not by the Custom Shop though) with a fat Les Paul Standard neck, a fatter body than the SG-Zs (or the SG Standards/RIs of today) and not Z-pups, but (chrome or even nickel) TB Plus pups. It sounds as forceful as a Les Paul Standard with lots of oooomph. I should know because I talked George into selling it to me! The only drawback to this bass is that it has nothing of the lightness, sleekness and playability of a sixties EB-0 or -3, it's a chunker of an instrument, even more massive than the maple neck seventies EB-0L or -3L. More RD than SG!

To bring some light into this matter, I have asked my Gibson contact about this mysterious SG long scale.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 08:04:04 PM by uwe »

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 08:16:58 PM »
George's former one-off SG Bass built in the late nineties (not by the Custom Shop though) with a fat Les Paul Standard neck, a fatter body than the SG-Zs (or the SG Standards/RIs of today) and not Z-pups, but (chrome or even nickel) TB Plus pups.

I'd hit something that for sure.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 10:07:12 PM »
Sorry, I glanced at it and thought it was the lame SG-Z. The chrome, three-point and lack of a pickguard should have been dead giveaways.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 01:46:57 AM »
A long scale EB3 isn't as unlikely as it may seem. Epiphone has been making them for years.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 03:49:38 AM »
It'll never balance though, but then non-neck-heavy basses are for girls anyway. With all due respect to Fräulein Mark of course who is Kramer-alu-neck schooled I believe.