Author Topic: SG RI Scale Length  (Read 6333 times)

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
Re: SG RI Scale Length
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 04:54:12 AM »
Gibsons are not known for their balance.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2013, 05:22:14 AM »
 And it's not a bad bass for 299.00 I actually like them.
A long scale EB3 isn't as unlikely as it may seem. Epiphone has been making them for years.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2013, 05:38:50 AM »
Gibsons are not known for their balance.

I like to be imbalanced.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2013, 05:34:57 AM »
I'm known for it, so I'm told by my analyst; don't believe a word of , mind you...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2013, 03:35:49 PM »
It'll never balance though, but then non-neck-heavy basses are for girls anyway. With all due respect to Fräulein Mark of course who is Kramer-alu-neck schooled I believe.

When it comes to the SG-body, I shall remain a neck-heavy-bass-free zone!   :P  My one foray into EB-3 territory ended after ONE practice. Wrestling the neck and balance on that thing for three hours just once convinced me that someone else needed to give a home to that bass.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2013, 03:46:23 PM »
When it comes to the SG-body, I shall remain a neck-heavy-bass-free zone!   :P  My one foray into EB-3 territory ended after ONE practice. Wrestling the neck and balance on that thing for three hours just once convinced me that someone else needed to give a home to that bass.

But are you talking about Epiphone or Gibson?  Several years ago I tested a 60s Gibson EB-0 side by side with an Epi EB-0.  the Epi had a lot of neck dive, the Gibson had none at all. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2013, 03:48:46 PM »
But are you talking about Epiphone or Gibson?  Several years ago I tested a 60s Gibson EB-0 side by side with an Epi EB-0.  the Epi had a lot of neck dive, the Gibson had none at all. 

Good point - it was the Epi.  However, the simple answer for me is stay with the 30" scale SG basses.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2013, 03:54:55 PM »
Good point - it was the Epi.  However, the simple answer for me is stay with the 30" scale SG basses.

I'm expecting neck dive on an Epi.  But after reading some of the comments on this thread, it seems to me than a mere $300 for an Epi EB-3 may be worth it, not that that's what this topic is supposed to be about.  I started it about SG scale length.  But some of the other comments have interested me quite a lot.  To elaborate a little on this--the guy who was asking about the possibility of an SG RI long scale has played Gibsons for years.  I don't even know what all he has.  But a lot.  He is quite an experienced and accomplished bassist, just like a lot of other people on here.  However, for whatever reason, he does seem to have preference for the SG body.  He had a Gibson EB-3 long scale for years, but sold that not long ago.  Probably didn't like the pick ups.  He has various other Gibsons--like I said--but keeps coming back to a modest Epi EB-3 as a beater bass.  The bottom line, obviously, is that some people (including myself) might be interested in an SG RI long scale. 
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 04:26:33 PM by westen »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2013, 07:17:34 PM »
Fair enough. Just don't count me in.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2013, 08:16:35 AM »
I want an SG body bass doublenecked!!! Long scale fretless and short scale fretted with the D and the G doubled on octave strings. Is that asking too much? It may even be neck-heavy ...
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 02:33:25 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2013, 01:00:39 PM »
I could go for a 35 inch SG body 8 string bass.  In fact, I would even settle for a 30.5 inch or 34 inch in that.  I'd also like a bass with the automatic Hendrix tuning like the guitar Henry was demonstrating the other day. 

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2013, 01:10:09 PM »
I want an SG body bass doublenecked!!! Long scale fretless and short scale fretted with the D and the G doubled on octave strings. Is that asking too much? I may even be neck-heavy ...

You'd have to learn to play it from underneath the treble side while the headstocks were pointing almost straight to the floor.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2013, 04:22:27 PM »
You'd have to learn to play it from underneath the treble side while the headstocks were pointing almost straight to the floor.

It could be a new style!  The upside-down doubleneck!

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2013, 05:09:18 PM »
I want an SG body bass doublenecked!!! Long scale fretless and short scale fretted with the D and the G doubled on octave strings. Is that asking too much? It may even be neck-heavy ...
:o

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2013, 05:48:51 PM »

I'm trying to imagine that.  Pretty funny, actually.  Yet, Rinus Gerritsen's double neck is kind of strange and it's something for real.  I never could understand why he was so interested in continuing to play that thing.  Yet, he's the famous guy, so he must have been doing something right.  Certainly, it would take a lot of dedication to put up with something which--at least to me--appears to be unwieldy. 
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 11:14:58 PM by westen »

--Blaise Pascal