Author Topic: Mike Lull NRT  (Read 8473 times)

vates

• View Profile
Mike Lull NRT
« on: January 23, 2013, 01:02:23 AM »
OMG

« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 01:19:46 AM by vates »

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: Mike Lull NRT
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 05:17:47 AM »
Wow, that's never been done before!   ;D
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 05:34:52 AM »
 Hahahahaa! Save your money buy a Cataldo.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 06:04:00 AM »
Welcome to the party, Mike!

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 06:21:50 AM »
I know it is such a minor detail but the pick guards on these basses just looks wrong except the Cataldo 5. The Lulls are too close to the edge on the top, similar but opposite to the third series Bach's. The Cataldo 5 has it centered correctly.

I suspect it is because on the Lulls the neck sits furthur into the body, probably to counter neck dive, but personally I just don't like the look.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 06:27:22 AM »
It's clear that some basses are marked up more than others!  As we've seen, high price doesn't guarantee high quality or value.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 06:33:37 AM »
;D
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 06:37:09 AM »
Cataldo 3 plus 2 headstock eliminates neck dive and the NR51 fits in a standard gig bag.

It's clear that some basses are marked up more than others!  As we've seen, high price doesn't guarantee high quality or value.

Very true, Bill.  Mike Lull has a bricks and mortar operation and employees to pay.  Add to that are suppliers who make and finish all his components, plus a dealer network and a NAMM booth.  IMO his prices are reasonable, they're all custom basses and he has a lot of overhead.  He's getting a fair return after many years of hard work.  My hat's off to him.

vates

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 06:38:32 AM »
Oh, I see: wrong forum :)

Lull basses are of exceptional quality. I have/had three Lull basses and all of them were top-notch.

Welcome to the party, Mike!

now that looks nice. what are the specs? (cataldo site is down at the moment)

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 06:45:56 AM »

now that looks nice.

Now there's an understatement. I don't like 5 strings or green basses but that picture is giving me GAS in a big way.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 07:24:36 AM »
Quality, price and value are what separate average products from excellent products. I don't doubt that Lull basses are excellent quality, however, the price doesn't always promise that it's better value and quality than a less expensive one made by someone with lower overhead and and markup.  That's the free market!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 07:27:03 AM »

now that looks nice. what are the specs? (cataldo site is down at the moment)

Here's the build thread
http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=6241.0

Bodies are Honduras, not African, mahogany.  Nitrocellulose lacquer finishes, not polyurethane.  EX5 ThunderBucker pickups (single or twin) in 63, 66 or MAX spec.  God of Thunder original NR spec pick guard wityh finger rest.  Top mounted jack.  21 fret AP neck, Hipshot Ultralite tuners.  Original NR spec control cavity cover, CTS pots, etc.

vates

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 07:33:17 AM »
Here's the build thread
http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=6241.0

Bodies are Honduras, not African, mahogany.  Nitrocellulose lacquer finishes, not polyurethane.  EX5 ThunderBucker pickups (single or twin) in 63, 66 or MAX spec.  God of Thunder original NR spec pick guard wityh finger rest.  Top mounted jack.  21 fret AP neck, Hipshot Ultralite tuners.  Original NR spec control cavity cover, CTS pots, etc.

Thank you. And what are other specs: nut width, fingerboard radius, string spacing at bridge? Are generic allparts necks reshaped? What is the average weight of such bass? How do these balance on a strap?
And I assume these come with maple necks, right?

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 10:43:54 AM »
Quality, price and value are what separate average products from excellent products. I don't doubt that Lull basses are excellent quality, however, the price doesn't always promise that it's better value and quality than a less expensive one made by someone with lower overhead and and markup.  That's the free market!

I've owned about 70 basses, without question my Lull is hands down the best bass I've ever owned. All I can say is I never knew how good an instrument could be until I tried one of his - sometimes the reason things cost more is quality and that's certainly the case with one of Mike's basses, I think Mr. Vates understands as he owns a Lull, the naysayers ought to try one before critisizing, especially just for price.   
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 11:34:45 AM »
Lull makes a great bass I'm sure but I can't get down with the truss rod rout at the neck heel. Makes the bass look like it has a belly button. Lull's NR is bolt on too right? Isn't set neck construction a big part of what makes an NR sound like an NR? Same with the T bass, why should bolt on be better than 9 ply neck through?
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.