Author Topic: Mike Lull NRT  (Read 8472 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: Mike Lull NRT
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 11:44:29 AM »
I think my Club is the best bass ever made.  Partly because I paid an arm and a leg for it.   :toast:
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2013, 12:36:05 PM »
Lull makes a great bass I'm sure but I can't get down with the truss rod rout at the neck heel. Makes the bass look like it has a belly button. Lull's NR is bolt on too right? Isn't set neck construction a big part of what makes an NR sound like an NR? Same with the T bass, why should bolt on be better than 9 ply neck through?

If you're comparing a 7ender bolt on neck to an original Gibson NR I's agree with your conclusion, but a modern multi bolt neck with the ferrules (or what ever you call them) like Mike's or Carlo's is virtually the same. My case in point would my BaCH NR's vs the Lull, both single pup bass using those two different methods of construction and sounded identical.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2013, 01:12:53 PM »
I guess the sound diff is probably negligible. It just seems so antithetical to the spirit of the original design, like if someone made Les Paul guitar copys with bolt on necks, I have a feeling guitarists would not be impressed. Graphite bars also seem unnecessary, if not an outright sham, and add extra synthetic material where wood could be.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2013, 01:18:11 PM »
 Sorry Mark I will never buy  Lull.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2013, 01:38:02 PM »
Sorry Mark I will never buy  Lull.

No need to apologize Bro, there's plenty of things I won't buy too!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2013, 01:41:45 PM »
 To be clear I have never criticized his product. The whole Lull /Hipshot thing has put me off.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 05:32:54 PM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2013, 02:04:19 PM »
To be clear I have never criticized his product. The whole Hipshot /Lull thing has put me off.

I'll PM you what I know about it a bit later today  :)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2013, 05:10:41 PM »
I've seen a Lull and it was very nice, but nothing I would lust after and pay a premium for. 

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2013, 05:52:39 PM »
I would love to play one, but as far as ownership is concerned, these things are well out of the league of a working stiff in Cincinnnati. And I generally gig a lot.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2013, 08:15:31 AM »
I don't doubt it's an excellent bass for a minute, but I despise the "boutique bass looking like a classic"-concept. If I play a Precision I want it to be from Fender, and a Ric shape has to be from Ric and a TBird shape from Gibson. I'm old-fashioned that way. And if I'd buy a Lull, I'd want it to look like a Lull, just like my Parker Fly looks like no other bass made by anyone else.

But of course there is a market for boutique classics, but it eludes me why. I'd feel more comfortable on stage playing a MIM Fender P than a boutique jewel aping that shape/look. But that's just me. 

At the same time I'm not a "'design captured in amber for posterity"-nerd (no, we don't have any of these here!), if Gibson brought out, say, an active TBird with a neck heel truss rod cavity today and called it 21th Century Thunderboy, I'd be perfectly fine with that.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2013, 11:49:03 AM »
I have to say that Uwe has a point.  How many versions of a P bass or TB can there be out there?  The implication from bass builders is their boutique version is somehow superior to a Fender or Gibson mass produced instrument.  I've played a couple Lull and other boutique basses (traded in at the HOG for something else) and I didn't see or hear that they were that special, especially in light of their price.  Something mass produced is not inherently inferior to something made by hand and vice versa.  A bolt on is a bolt on and while the material quality is key, a P bass has only so many ways to improve on the original design and execution.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2013, 12:36:42 PM »
The BaCH is a no-regrets purchase especially since original NRs are way out of my price range and scarce as hell at that. Besides, Scott buys them all!  ;D

I'm certainly not knocking Lull's basses, or anyone else's for that matter (other than hideous looks-like-every-other-boutique-bass-out-there basses).
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 02:10:26 PM by Denis »
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2013, 01:41:01 PM »
I don't doubt it's an excellent bass for a minute, but I despise the "boutique bass looking like a classic"-concept. If I play a Precision I want it to be from Fender, and a Ric shape has to be from Ric and a TBird shape from Gibson. I'm old-fashioned that way. And if I'd buy a Lull, I'd want it to look like a Lull, just like my Parker Fly looks like no other bass made by anyone else.

But of course there is a market for boutique classics, but it eludes me why. I'd feel more comfortable on stage playing a MIM Fender P than a boutique jewel aping that shape/look. But that's just me. 

At the same time I'm not a "'design captured in amber for posterity"-nerd (no, we don't have any of these here!), if Gibson brought out, say, an active TBird with a neck heel truss rod cavity today and called it 21th Century Thunderboy, I'd be perfectly fine with that.

There have of course been many Thunderbird clones.........Greco, Epi, Orville etc. Boutique issuses as well including Lull and Hotwire, of which you have one Fenderbird IIRC. Some of us may indeed be purist about it, I'm not. There are many very good Thunderbirds out there that don't happen to have the Gibson name on the headstock, some are more expensive, some less.   

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2013, 02:47:25 PM »
If the product were as good as the original, but cheaper, then I'd see the point for the budget buyer...

I'd been after a Jazz for some time and was considering a copy but a Squier came up for silly money and I went for it - the fretless licensed neck cost more than the whole instrument...

I can understand the Gibson/Epi - Fender/Squier market, perfectly, and my wallet can appreciate it too...

The Bach idea is a great concept; Carlo's option is also bang-for-the-buck from what everyone has said so far... if I ever find myself in the market for another instrument, even if it were just a body to go with my spare Jazz neck, Carlo would be the one getting my greens...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2013, 03:30:00 PM »
a P bass has only so many ways to improve on the original design and execution.

There is this Lull creation"

It should have a truss rod cover though.