Author Topic: Rolling Stones warm up gig  (Read 22200 times)

patman

• View Profile
Re: Rolling Stones warm up gig
« Reply #135 on: November 16, 2012, 11:07:44 AM »
Miss you is brilliant...should be taught in school...groove 101.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 16, 2012, 11:13:20 AM »
Stu, sigh, I'm an agnostic, no bible, I don't even believe in what's in the real one.

OK, IMHO the musical evidence of Bill Wyman wishing to or being able to play like John McCoy

is so scarce to be statistically irrelevant. But: We simply don't know whether Bill Wyman, in the comfort of his many mansion's many closets, is an aggressive high-speed bassist with a strong tendency to be ahead of the beat. So don't take my word for it.

And Stu: If you fly over and emulate my style of playing (not very technical at all) using the same bass and amp setting within, say, a couple of hours so that someone who knows me mistakes your playing for mine, I'll pay for the flight ticket and a fine Frankfurt hotel where we can have a drink afterwards!  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 11:36:41 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Big_Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 16, 2012, 11:18:05 AM »
Sounds good; but while we're waiting - to the best of my knowledge only two people on this whole forum have a recording of the aforementioned Midlands Beat Combo doing "Smoke On The Water" at a sound-check.
Dave Hill is so awesome at it it's what made Ritchie Blackmore leave DP.......... whether that's fact or IMHO is not debatable.  :mrgreen:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 16, 2012, 11:44:42 AM »
I wanna hear it!

But I bet Dave played the riff with his pick and did not pluck it with his fingers so in his version the lower fifth came before the root and not both notes simultaneously which makes all the difference ... That said, 10,000 Dave Hills playing SOTW could not have bugged the Man in Black more (ooops, sneaky, huh?) than one Ian Gillan just being there. Dave Hill is innocent and cannot be blamed for Steve Morse playing guitar with DP today.

And while this thread is now veering dangerously close to mentioning Ritchie Blackmore, we should give a listen to how a Deep Purplite and a Stones member sound together, albeit before both joined their respective bands and became rich and famous, make way for Ronnie and Jon:

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 16, 2012, 12:33:35 PM »
I have the Writchy Blakmere connection: A mate of his by the name of Bob Daisley actually owns Bill Wyman's "Humbug" Framus Bass. Not only that Bob played with Jon lord and ian Gillian in the Hoochie Coothchie Men and used the Hombug on 'Heart of Stone'.
Now the Stones cut their teeth on Delta Blues, Chicago R n' B etc. AND the funky stuff from New Orleans where the name of the game is behind the Beat way back. Bill's style was developed very naturally as they all learned to put it together and call themselves the Rolling Stones. When Bill left part of the heart and soul of the bband was finished. And as bass players we all know about that and what it means. The bass is the one instrument, hard to 'put your finger on' so to speak because it is so much about feel. In certain situations it works and in others it falls apart. In the Stones it worked for Billy boy but after that the chemistry exploded and you got the Rhythm Kings.

Big_Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 16, 2012, 01:03:48 PM »
10,000 Dave Hills playing SOTW could not have bugged the Man in Black more

On the contrary; Johnny Cash was a huge fan! He only covered a U2 song or two because they once supported Slade. Well known fact!

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 17, 2012, 07:28:19 AM »

A favorite of mine with lyrics sounding more current than you might expect. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 17, 2012, 08:01:13 AM »
really? johnny cash a fan of slade. 'well known' fact or not i find that hard to believe. ever since cash made that album with rick rubin, all of a sudden he likes all kinds of rock and roll people. ???
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 17, 2012, 04:02:04 PM »
Proof conclusive of the Cash-Slade connection - cover photo to prove it... ;D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RECORD-COLLECTOR-58-JOHNNY-CASH-SLADE-THOMPSON-TWINS-JOHNS-CHILDREN-/290798586851
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #144 on: November 17, 2012, 04:32:39 PM »
 Awesome Kenny, just awesome!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Big_Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 17, 2012, 04:56:10 PM »
Proof conclusive of the Cash-Slade connection - cover photo to prove it... ;D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RECORD-COLLECTOR-58-JOHNNY-CASH-SLADE-THOMPSON-TWINS-JOHNS-CHILDREN-/290798586851

See the seller is on the Isle of Lewis in the Scottish Hebrides; I bet he only had that magazine delivered last week!

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 17, 2012, 11:01:13 PM »
according to this logic where can i find the awesome cash/thompson twins collaberation.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 18, 2012, 08:45:08 AM »
When I read this all I can think is hold me now ...

I kinda liked the Thompson Twins, they had a hook or two.

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 18, 2012, 09:23:55 AM »

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 18, 2012, 10:23:43 AM »
... where can i find the awesome cash/thompson twins collaberation.

Forsooth, but surely the same publication, Lord Nofi; tis that not their visage upon said cover...? ;D

See the seller is on the Isle of Lewis in the Scottish Hebrides...

Must be family; either that, and/or the sheep... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...