Author Topic: Rolling Stones warm up gig  (Read 21986 times)

Big_Stu

• View Profile
Rolling Stones warm up gig
« on: October 26, 2012, 03:33:29 PM »
I seriously love the Stones; far far more a Stones over the Beatles guy & they've made some timeless classics....
......but surely Keith especially is not looking a well guy here?..........

He's always played fast & loose with the riffs during live shows, but every time he goes for it here it just looks like he couldn't play it if he really had to any more?

Watcha say?

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Rolling Stones warm up gig
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 04:43:47 PM »
He really moves like an old man in that clip. Sharp contrast with Mick and Ronnie.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 08:06:31 AM »
So much for going out on a high note.  :-\ Somebody call Dr. Kevorkian!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 08:13:18 AM »
I can't blame 'em for touring again, the demand is there.

Keith really hasn't been the same since falling out of the coconut tree.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 12:59:35 PM »
Does a nice job of being Johnny Depp's dad, though... ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 07:48:26 AM »
Except that he no longer dyes his hair dark, I don't see much of a dif, he's been toppling like that on stage since the nineties and probably even earlier. Same about his sparse and sometimes random playing, it's part of the Stones charm not to overcrowd everything with guitars - spare me the onslaught of the E-Street Band of three guitars strumming all the time. The Stones have so much instrumentation on stage, you have to restrict yourself. I also notice that compared to the seventies and eighties, their Jumping Jack Flash has been de-hard-rocked again and sounds more sixties than in a long time. That is not a bad thing.

On the last tour there were respectable rumors that there were two guitarists behind the stage to cover for both Ronnie and Keith who were ailing from their respective demons. That might be so, but in truth I believe that both of them have been doing it for so long they can tour another 20 years before they become unable to play their parts. It's not the Mahavishnu Orchestra you know.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 08:06:26 AM »
I wasn't talking about his playing, that hasn't changed. It's his stance and movements. Made me think of an old Richard Belzer comedy bit where he does an 80-plus-year-old Bob Dylan singing Like a Rolling Stone.

Big_Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 09:54:24 AM »
I would say it has changed, there's less of it - he's more static, no fluid flourishes of his playing arm like he used to and he barely looks up, maybe having to focus on what he's doing more? I know it was only a couple of minutes but so far that's all there is to go off.
I was stood about 10ft from him on the No Security tour & he stalked that stage area like the big cat who's coat he was wearing, I remember thinking to myself "you just took your hero Chuck Berry's "King" crown and you know it".
I saw Chuck Berry when he was 68 & he could still play, it was a great gig; now I hear his son does the solos & much of the playing for him & Chuck's just the name on the bill. I hope the Stones don't Fade Away.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 10:08:36 AM »
People age in all kinds of ways. The former Deep Purple guitarist, name escapes me for a moment, is 68 yet still nimble on the fretboard and agile on the feet. Plus took active part in the conception of two small children in the last two years.

With Keith I believe it is a natural progression that he plays less and less - sort of how far can you go and still have a song. I remember a DVD from the Vodoo Lounge Tour - or was it Bridges to Babylon? - where he played a solo during Satisfaction that would have gotten you kicked out as a lead guitarist in most auditions I know.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 10:59:38 AM »
Age catches up to all of us.  If you listen to that last Johnny Cash album, it's very bare, and you can hear that his voice was getting a little tired, but he still found the way to come out with a strong performance and record.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 02:17:00 PM »
hell, he's looked worse.
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 03:24:28 PM »
On the last tour there were respectable rumors that there were two guitarists behind the stage to cover for both Ronnie and Keith who were ailing from their respective demons.

True - Blondie Chaplin covered a lot of Keef's rhythm parts on the last tour while pretending to be there as a backing vocalist
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 03:26:12 PM »
If you ever see a recent closeup photo that shows Keef's hands, you'll understand why his playing isn't as fluid as it once was LOL

Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 03:37:24 PM »
 Did someone mention Dr. K ?

So much for going out on a high note.  :-\ Somebody call Dr. Kevorkian!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 09:42:00 PM by Dave W »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2012, 09:54:03 PM »
Sure, some people age better than others. But not everyone is in that shape by his age, not by a long shot. I saw Tony Bennett on TV last week. He's 86 and still seems to be going strong. Ray Price is 86 and still touring. I see he still has eight dates between now and the end of the year. If Keith lives to 86, I doubt he'll be in shape to tour.