Author Topic: Rolling Stones warm up gig  (Read 22450 times)

Big_Stu

• View Profile
Re: Rolling Stones warm up gig
« Reply #75 on: November 07, 2012, 09:37:25 AM »
And if Macca and Lea play the way they do because they were guitarists, then I wished all bassists were former guitarists!

And Lemmy too now that I think of it, there again he still sees himself as a rhythm guitarist who just happens to play on a bass.
as the Godawful M'loaf song says "two outta three ain't bad".

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 07, 2012, 09:56:45 AM »
Lemmy was quite a melodic bass player in Hawkwind daze, just listen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A99nU5UkhFI&feature=related

I don't know what came over him afterwards. On the Space Ritual live album his chordy bass playing is omnipresent, but melodic and largely undistorted as well, he still plays bass there, sort of in a Peter Hook (Joy Division, New Order) vein. Pleasant, actually.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Big_Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 07, 2012, 10:32:01 AM »
There was someone else in the 50s or 60s who was known as a bass chord player, but I can't remember their name, there may well have been more than one.
I used to have a lot of M'head i'views and articles. He went to that style to thicken up the sound and to add an aggressive edge to it, it worked! I think it's in his movie that he said the only time he tried M'head as a four-piece he was never happy with it.

I'm not as keen on seeing them now, they're more "corporate" than Rock n Roll - the day I saw Lemmy "liaising with his PA" (and I don't mean talking to his speaker columns) was the day I knew the old ways had gone.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2012, 12:05:06 PM »
I said a few things on here which were misinterpreted.  However, other posters came along and made statements which addressed those misinterpretations eloquently.  So, there was really no need for me to respond further.  Also, as I've stated, I'm not even a Beatles fan, but I do appreciate the enormous contribution they made to music.  I do sometimes get irritated at critics of the Beatles who come along from time to time and seem to think their taste in music is superior and they want to reprimand an entire generation for even liking the Beatles in the first place.  But I can now clearly see that Big Stu does not fall into that category.  He is just speaking his mind, displaying his preferences, and doing so from the standpoint of someone who is just as well-informed and capable as anyone I've ever met. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 08, 2012, 01:02:49 PM »
ah warrrior on the edge of time i remember buying that when it was released ,darn good record i thought.i thought lemmy was great and its probably his fault i use so many chords to this day.
Louder bass!.

Big_Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 08, 2012, 01:22:20 PM »
I said a few things on here which were misinterpreted.  However, other posters came along and made statements which addressed those misinterpretations eloquently.  So, there was really no need for me to respond further.  Also, as I've stated, I'm not even a Beatles fan, but I do appreciate the enormous contribution they made to music.  I do sometimes get irritated at critics of the Beatles who come along from time to time and seem to think their taste in music is superior and they want to reprimand an entire generation for even liking the Beatles in the first place.  But I can now clearly see that Big Stu does not fall into that category.  He is just speaking his mind, displaying his preferences, and doing so from the standpoint of someone who is just as well-informed and capable as anyone I've ever met. 

Thanks mate! I respect anyone's opinion - and as I've said on a few other forums it works wonders for every poster to remember that all posts regarding tastes & viewpoints, everyone's - even their own, do actually have an unseen, invisible "IMHO" behind everything that's said.

i thought lemmy was great and its probably his fault i use so many chords to this day.
Not that I think they guy is incredible, unique and a whole list of adjectives, would it be too soon since the last time to remind the world that I got to play with his new signature amps at Marshall before even he did? Damn, damn, thought so! Ah well.....

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 08, 2012, 01:26:45 PM »
mmmmmmmmmmmm loud.i think i put my back out just looking at that rig though.
Louder bass!.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 08, 2012, 02:55:24 PM »
Some impressive looking Marshalls.  Absolutely beautiful!
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Big_Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 08, 2012, 03:45:03 PM »
I was actually told to play them as loud as I wanted; I said "If they're new speakers don't you want them run in a bit first?" and the answer was "Don't worry, if one goes we've got plenty to replace it with".  :P

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 08, 2012, 06:37:23 PM »
wowee.was that at the marshall factory  in milton keynes?i took my 9005 power amp there and had it fixed by paul marshall.
Louder bass!.

Big_Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 09, 2012, 01:43:58 AM »
wowee.was that at the marshall factory  in milton keynes?i took my 9005 power amp there and had it fixed by paul marshall.

Yeah, I was invited down for a full factory tour - long story - met them all, autographed copy of Jim's book to go home with (they don't do free samples!  :sad:  :mrgreen: ) and at the very end I was taken to a theatre they have on site, which has a copy of every classic amp they ever made lining the walls (if I'd been there the day before I would have been in there with Slash).
Danny said......
"You play bass don't you?"
"Yeah",
He pulled back the curtains and there were the amps all fired up and he said,
"These are being shipped out to Frankfurt tomorrow to meet up with the Motorhead tour, Lemmy's not heard them yet, would you like to try them out for him?"  :P When I met Lemmy a year or so later we had a laugh about it while he poured me about a half-pint of Jack Daniels  :o ......... since I don't smoke!
If I'd known they were going to do that I'd have taken my bass - or borrowed a Rick, but it was a vintage plank Fender I suppose.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 09, 2012, 05:07:53 AM »
There is a connection to all this, too.  Lemmy, Marshall, Hendrix.  Hendrix loved Marshalls.  Lemmy used to be a roadie for him when he was a room mate with Gerry Stickells and Noel Redding.  I hope Lemmy stays alive and well and continues playing Marshalls for a long time. 

--Blaise Pascal

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #87 on: November 09, 2012, 06:19:10 AM »
 Impressive Stu! I thought that bass look a bit odd on you to bad you didn't have the JB  For years my main amp was a '72 Marshall Major paired with a long line of cabs. I still have it and the JCM 800 2x15 and 4x12 cabs. Though it has been replaced onstage by my Hiwatts :) ;)
Thanks mate! I respect anyone's opinion - and as I've said on a few other forums it works wonders for every poster to remember that all posts regarding tastes & viewpoints, everyone's - even their own, do actually have an unseen, invisible "IMHO" behind everything that's said.
Not that I think they guy is incredible, unique and a whole list of adjectives, would it be too soon since the last time to remind the world that I got to play with his new signature amps at Marshall before even he did? Damn, damn, thought so! Ah well.....

Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #88 on: November 09, 2012, 06:35:07 AM »
 My Major onstage in '0 9with my growing Hiwatt family.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 09, 2012, 07:39:57 AM »
Don't forget that Hendrix covered Sgt. Pepper!   8)  Count me in as a big Beatles nut.  I was born in '61 so I grew up listening to my older sisters albums and 45's.  When I was seven I transferred many of these records to reel to reel.  I still have all of the 45's but they are well worn.  Lots of British Invasion stuff. (Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Tremeloes, The Honeycombs, and many more)  Did not get into Slade until hearing Quiet Riot covers.  I did like the 80's record they had out with Run Runaway.