Author Topic: NEW!! Squier VM Tele Bass Special  (Read 11216 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: NEW!! Squier VM Tele Bass Special
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2012, 11:06:26 AM »
My dad used to tell a corny joke about Chief Running Water and his three sons, Hot, Cold and Luke ("him not so hot"). IMHO medium scale is like Luke - not so hot. Worst of both worlds. Lacks the short scale richness and ease of playing, lacks the long scale cut, boom and punch. Bleah.

An exception to that rule: Gretsch 5123, proudly 32" scale....

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2012, 11:23:41 AM »

I finally got to play one at my local GC last week.
They're gorgeous.
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2012, 11:51:02 AM »
That's because it's a standard sized neck with a deeper body joint to make it short scale.

??? ??? ???

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2012, 02:07:04 PM »
Medium scale is indeed limp, neither here nor there. Like Dave says, the E already sucketh the big one, but the D and G do not yet make up for it.

But that aside, I like the Tele guitar shape - no doubt genetically stamped by Status Quo - and always thought the Tele Bass shape dilutive.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2012, 02:10:19 PM »
I prefer the Tele bass head to the present "standard" format on the P or J...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2012, 06:17:18 PM »

It's beautiful, all right. It's still medium scale though. Some basses of a certain scale will always sound better than others, and yours might be the best medium scale money can buy, but you can't escape the physics of scale length.

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2012, 01:41:04 AM »
and always thought the Tele Bass shape dilutive.

There's an exception to that rule ....... [Maxwell Smart modus] would you believe it's from dzjermanie [/Maxwell Smart modus] ......  :mrgreen:

Experience is the ultimate teacher

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2012, 07:46:07 AM »
It's beautiful, all right. It's still medium scale though. Some basses of a certain scale will always sound better than others, and yours might be the best medium scale money can buy, but you can't escape the physics of scale length.

Fair enough. Personally, I don't hear anything lacking in the sound generated by the scale lengths of any of the 30, 32 or 34" basses I have.  I just consider any differences in sound to be part of the character of that instrument.  But to me it's the difference between chocolate and caramel - both are great, just different.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2012, 02:41:13 PM »
My 32" Gretsch 5123 sounds great and has plenty of low end.  I'm really happy with it.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2012, 02:57:53 PM »
It's not about lack of low end, and I don't think Uwe meant that either when he said the E sucks. For lack of a better word, it's about the presence.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2012, 04:38:32 PM »
Presence? I accept all presents with open arms; sometimes they're firearms.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2012, 05:00:03 PM »
??? ??? ???

Rather than make a different neck for the shorter-scale bass that would have proper upper fret access. Fender used the same neck and body as its standard 34" Squiers and simply joined the neck deeper into the body to facilitate intonation. I have a "second" Mexi-Fender Precision that is a 35" scale because the neck joint was cut 1" too shallow at the factory. In the case of these basses, the body cutaway is 2" deeper than normal.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2012, 07:19:39 PM »
Rather than make a different neck for the shorter-scale bass that would have proper upper fret access. Fender used the same neck and body as its standard 34" Squiers and simply joined the neck deeper into the body to facilitate intonation. I have a "second" Mexi-Fender Precision that is a 35" scale because the neck joint was cut 1" too shallow at the factory. In the case of these basses, the body cutaway is 2" deeper than normal.

If they use the same length neck, they'd have to fret it at different places to accommodate the different scale - right?

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2012, 01:45:13 AM »
^ Of course. But still the 32" Tele neck has the same number of frets as a standard 34" scale P neck. If it were a standard long scale neck there would have been 2-3 more frets there.

Plus, you can't use a long-scale neck and simply sink it 2" deeper into the body: you would have to shape the back of the neck so that the heel starts before it joins the pocket.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 01:58:48 AM by ilan »
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2012, 08:17:46 AM »
It's certainly possible to use the same size neck blank for different scale lengths, but as Ilan says, they would have different numbers of frets. On a 34" scale 20 fret neck, it's 23.291" from the nut to the 20th fret. On a 32" scale neck, it's 23.020" from the nut to the 22nd fret. This new bass only has a 20 fret neck, so in this case it can't be the same size neck blank as 34" scale neck.

For any given scale length, anytime the neck is sunk further into the body (to improve balance or for style or any other reason) either the bridge has to be moved back or the neck has to be longer and have more frets. For example, a 32" scale 20-fret neck is 21.921" from nut to the last fret. That means there has to be 10.079" between the last fret and the bridge. You move that neck pocket deeper into the body, you have to move the bridge toward the butt end of the bass by the same amount because you have to maintain that 10.079" difference. But if you used a 32" scale neck with 22 or 24 frets, the distance you need between the last fret and the bridge will be shorter, so you wouldn't have to relocate the bridge as much or maybe not at all.

Hope that makes sense. The caffeine hasn't completely kicked in yet.