Author Topic: NEW!! Squier VM Tele Bass Special  (Read 11215 times)

lowend1

• View Profile
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

nofi

• View Profile
Re: NEW!! Squier VM Tele Bass Special
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 09:24:18 PM »
well, that's friggin' ugly. i wish fender would stop these combo platter basses. they must be under the illusion that they are creating something totally new. :sad: :rolleyes: :bored:
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 09:28:13 PM »
A mudbucker and J combo on a Tele guitar body doesn't work for me. And medium scale? Bleh.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 12:07:24 AM »
A mudbucker and J combo on a Tele guitar body doesn't work for me.
How about this then?

Personally I was never a huge fan of the Tele guitar body. But I predict a success - especially with guitarists.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 07:18:14 AM »
That's better. You're probably right that it will be popular with guitarists, although not as much as a 30" scale would.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 07:55:37 AM »
I differ.  I like the new models, and because I'm a cheapskate, I'll be watching for one of the single-pickup models to hit Ebay used.  At about $200 I'll grab one and check it out.  I've had a yen for a tele-style bass for some time, and those look just right.

I don't really need the double-pickup model with the humbucker, so I'll watch for the classic single pickup version.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 07:57:33 AM »
I like it except for the jazz pup.  They never look right, or sound that good, on basses other than a j bass.  I've always had a soft spot in my heart for the tele body shape.  if I were to buy a guitar, it would be a tele.  I would buy the black one!  I don't have a problem with the 32" scale.  I'm playing my short scales more and enjoying them.  For gigging, I've moved to the Hoffy Club and the Gretsch ThunderJet.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 08:03:36 AM by drbassman »
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 08:54:08 AM »
That's an odd creature, but kind of cool. Definitely like the single pup version better, but a mud/P (split) combo might be cool. Seems like the neck is sunk pretty deep into the body.  :-\

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 11:59:26 AM »
Seems like the neck is sunk pretty deep into the body.

That's because it's a standard sized neck with a deeper body joint to make it short scale. I finally got to try some of the new Squiers last week. The Frank Bello signature model is just killer, and while I initially dug the single mudbucker VM longscale, after awhile, it became apparent that it was more low mids than actual big bottom like a Gibson mudbucker. This thing, was a blast to play, so much so that I would not even plug it into an amp and made in China to boot. It's neck is on par with a Lakland, no joke. The only bad part is that its finish is a gorgeous transparent black and not the weird brown it looks like online, and it needs a light colored pickguard.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 12:19:14 PM »
  I like 'em they look a little weird but I like weird stuff ;) I agree the J pup would not have been my choice, now the single coil and the muddy would have been cool! Don't see to many 32 inch scale basses these days. I can't wait to try one!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 12:20:55 PM »
I'll be interested to see whether it balances at all....
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 12:27:04 PM »
I play a NR Thunderbird what would I care?  ;D
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 11:01:41 PM »
Strap button above the 13th fret and some significant body mass behind the bridge, this could actually balance well if the body is not too light, or with Hipshot Ultralites.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 08:34:47 AM »
Strap button above the 13th fret and some significant body mass behind the bridge, this could actually balance well if the body is not too light, or with Hipshot Ultralites.

You are already making my bank account nervous.   ;)

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 08:47:37 AM »
My dad used to tell a corny joke about Chief Running Water and his three sons, Hot, Cold and Luke ("him not so hot"). IMHO medium scale is like Luke - not so hot. Worst of both worlds. Lacks the short scale richness and ease of playing, lacks the long scale cut, boom and punch. Bleah.