Author Topic: Epi Thunderbird Classic-IV Pro now on their site ...  (Read 38077 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Epi Thunderbird Classic-IV Pro now on their site ...
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2012, 07:36:52 AM »
Carlo and I had speculated before that Gibson might be using plantation-grown mahogany from the Pacific Rim, since they don't specify Honduras mahogany in their catalogs. Wouldn't surprise me. But plantation-grown mahogany is still a lot more expensive than mahogany substitutes.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2012, 08:58:53 AM »
Carlo and I had speculated before that Gibson might be using plantation-grown mahogany from the Pacific Rim, since they don't specify Honduras mahogany in their catalogs. Wouldn't surprise me. But plantation-grown mahogany is still a lot more expensive than mahogany substitutes.

I'm using genuine mahogany these days, buying it at $8 a board foot, retail if you will.  Takes about 5 b.f. to make a JAEbird.  This stuff looks, works and weighs the same as the mahogany used in my vintage Gibsons.  So a true mahogany blank costs ME less than $50.  How cheap does genuine mahogany have to be for Gibson to use it in a $1500 bass?  They should probably be paying about half what I pay.

Then there's American made TB+ pickups.  How cheap do THEY have to be to put on a $500 bass?

As far as the new Epi TBird:  the quality/finish on my ProIV are excellent and the bridge adjusts in 3 dimensions.  The 3 point bridge on my bolt on Epi TBird is a real P.O.S. from a quality standpoint.  It's made the usual way that cheaper Asian knockoffs are, reduce the amount of metal and use the tooling until it's completely worn out.  A Gotoh 3 point retails for $75.

iamthatguy32

• View Profile
    • Cab 20
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2012, 10:43:58 AM »
I pre-ordered a white one from Sweetwater over a month ago and I can't wait to get this thing in the mail. I'll definitely let you guys know how it turns out. Sweetwater has a ship date of the week of 8/19.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2012, 11:33:31 AM »

Ditto........ :)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

iamthatguy32

• View Profile
    • Cab 20
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2012, 11:47:48 AM »
Now to muster up the will to spend $300 on gold hardware, and to figure out how to keep the wife from finding out about it.  :-X

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2012, 11:48:39 AM »

Did you find pup covers in gold?
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2012, 03:17:00 PM »
I think that German seller on Ebay offered them in gold?? Can't remember for sure.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2012, 04:27:47 PM »
Bunch of gay pimps you guys are. Gold hardware!!!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2012, 04:58:47 PM »

If they're German they are likely made of chocolate..........

iamthatguy32

• View Profile
    • Cab 20
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2012, 05:58:45 PM »
Nope, no gold. The German guy offers just about everything else in gold, but not the bridge or neck covers. I found a bridge cover in gold, so now I just need someone to make a neck cover... or I'll have to buy Carlo's and have it plated.

On my list is a $100 bridge, $100 set of clover tuners, and $90 for the pickup covers and rings. I still have to track down the right screws for the pickup covers and rings, too. For now, I think I'm just not gonna have the fancy hand rests.  ;)

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2012, 04:00:49 PM »
Aren't most Epis made in China nowadays? Korea has become too expensive, so it's either Nam, Indonesia or China.

If I was Henry J, I'd regard these as a bit too close for comfort to Gibson's current TB IV. Same wood, same pups, same construction, same hardware, same fins. That is asking for cannibalizing sales, not everyone will pay three times as much for a Gibson trc as opposed to an Epi one if everything else is that close. My hunch is that these models will either disappear quickly (like the Elitist TBird did) or that Gibson will give its TBird a facelift in the near future.

Fender is doing the same thing right now. I played a Chinese-made Fender Jazz the other day that was much better quality than its triply-priced US made counterparts. If Gibson is indeed taking the same tack, look for even more Epi quality and innovation. Even the Squier-badged Fender basses made in Indonesia are on par or better than Fender's Mexican made instruments of the mid 90's. Sales are sales, and selling six Epi's to every one Gibson T-bird still keeps Nashville's balance books just into the red until they figure out how to smuggle raw materials again.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2012, 05:42:10 PM »
The Epi Casady I have is fully the equal of any other bass I own in terms of fit and finish, including the Gretsch 5123.

I have nothing but good to say about the Epis I have played.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2012, 05:44:11 PM »
 :mrgreen:

"figure out how to smuggle raw materials again"
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2012, 11:19:01 AM »
Bunch of gay pimps you guys are. Gold hardware!!!

JAE just spun over in his grave... :P
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

planetgaffnet

• View Profile
    • Nancy Johnson
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2012, 04:21:33 AM »
I know I'm new here etc. but I took a look at the Epiphone and Gibson website blurbs and pulled images down of both Thunderbirds and the basses are identical barring headstock tweaks to accommodate the Epiphone (or Gibson) trussrod cover.  Don't believe me?  Take a look.  The little white dot on the lower horn, the identical reflections on the control knobs and the end of the headstock.  This is soooo lazy!

...also the NAMM shot shows <shudder>chrome hardware</shudder>.

P
The future I come from no longer exists.