Author Topic: Epi Thunderbird Classic-IV Pro now on their site ...  (Read 38076 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Epi Thunderbird Classic-IV Pro now on their site ...
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 07:45:54 AM »
Expected 9/1 (white) and 10/1 (sunburst) at American Musical. Pre-order price is still shown as $499.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 08:31:59 AM »
Made in China???

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 08:45:13 AM »
Would have to be I would think.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 08:59:36 AM »

It needs CHROME!  ;D
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 09:10:52 AM »
Aren't most Epis made in China nowadays? Korea has become too expensive, so it's either Nam, Indonesia or China.

If I was Henry J, I'd regard these as a bit too close for comfort to Gibson's current TB IV. Same wood, same pups, same construction, same hardware, same fins. That is asking for cannibalizing sales, not everyone will pay three times as much for a Gibson trc as opposed to an Epi one if everything else is that close. My hunch is that these models will either disappear quickly (like the Elitist TBird did) or that Gibson will give its TBird a facelift in the near future.

The Zenith bass did not last long with Epi either, they are kinda quick in kicking things out if the sales aren't right.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 09:20:49 AM by uwe »

wagdog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 09:37:36 AM »
If I was Henry J, I'd regard these as a bit too close for comfort to Gibson's current TB IV.

Shhhh... you're going to jinx it.  These are potentially the bargain of the year.

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 03:58:13 PM »

It needs CHROME!  ;D

+1

Any pricing?
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 05:23:18 PM »
Aren't most Epis made in China nowadays? Korea has become too expensive, so it's either Nam, Indonesia or China.

If I was Henry J, I'd regard these as a bit too close for comfort to Gibson's current TB IV. Same wood, same pups, same construction, same hardware, same fins. That is asking for cannibalizing sales, not everyone will pay three times as much for a Gibson trc as opposed to an Epi one if everything else is that close.

Not the same wood. This is legally imported rosewood in compliance with the Lacey Act.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 05:34:01 PM »
I sincerely doubt that the Epi mahogany is a genuine mahogany species.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 05:39:04 PM »
+1

Any pricing?

$499.95 USD.

It really appears to be a steal at that price, I'm very curious about the neck and how it feels at the nut - other Epi 'Birds don't work well for me. Not that I need another white Thunderbird  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 06:04:44 PM »

They have to make money somewhere. If it sounds similar, then that is good enough for me. The active TBird Pros of a few years ago didn't sound bad with ther maple/walnut necks and the mock maho wings.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 06:17:04 PM »
They have to make money somewhere. If it sounds similar, then that is good enough for me. The active TBird Pros of a few years ago didn't sound bad with ther maple/walnut necks and the mock maho wings.

I'm not criticizing their wood choice in that price range, just saying that it may not be as close to a Gibson as it appears.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 04:36:20 AM »
By and large, Epi is value for little money. I haven't played an Epi bass from the last twenty years yet which I would have to describe as unusable. I would have certainly been over the moon with the look and sound had my first bass been something of similar quality. Unfortunately, the "Johnny Guitar" Jazz Bass Ho I bought in 1977 for 250 Deutsche Mark new was nowhere near as good.

And it turned me into the Fender hater I am!!!  :mrgreen: I was totally distraught at the time that I could only afford something that looked like a - of all things! -  Fender. I would have preferred the Burns Flyte that hung in the same shop, but that cost 10 times as much. It was only 15 years later that I bought my first real Fender, a sixties reissue P, because it was the best sounding bass in that forlorn Dallas suburbs guitar shop (I needed a bass for an impromptu reunion of my old band at a wedding I had been invited to).

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 05:39:59 AM »

But it could be. After a little searching I found this:

"Shortly after World War II, The British began planting Genuine Mahogany (Swietenia macrophylla) in plantations.  Over the last 60 years the plantation owners have been shocked with how fast the stock grows and more importantly how aggressive the natural replanting spread is."

This was referring particularly to Fijian Mahogany but I would guess they started plantations wherever the climate was similar to the Caribbean. Southeast Asian Mahogany is not in short supply, not endangered, and is Genuine Mahogany. (as opposed to Phillipine Mahogany which isn't mahogany at all, but to confuse things Genuine Mahogany is plantation grown in the Phillipines)

From http://www.mcilvain.com/the-best-alternate-to-a-mahogany-alternate-is-mahogany/