Author Topic: 2012 Non Reverse Cataldo Basses  (Read 21482 times)

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
Re: 2012 Non Reverse Cataldo Basses
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2011, 10:04:38 AM »
Thanks!  On the JAEbird Custom, definitely.  I may go to a one piece on the Standard to keep prices down.

Thanks!  I've thought about doing a short scale 4 but the demand doesn't justify the R&D time and $$.  I think 34" scale is the minimum for 5 strings.  I don't build my necks and don't know of any short scale 5 string necks that are available.

I really appreciate the interest! I was shooting JAEbird #0026 this AM before sending it out.  The light was great so I shot the NR4 again.  I hope we can work something out so I can supply your P/Gs as an option, Scott.

just noticed the extra fret.  eventually all of my wishes will be incorporated..  IMHO they all made sense to bring the birds to  modern day acceptable/excepted features of a bass. 
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2011, 11:03:53 AM »
just noticed the extra fret.  eventually all of my wishes will be incorporated..  IMHO they all made sense to bring the birds to  modern day acceptable/excepted features of a bass. 

That 4 string neck is a crap Chinese one I hacked up.  Unfortunately Allparts only sells LH Jazz 21 fret necks.  I know that's not your thing, Jim...but I am talking to a neck builder who can supply me with whatever a customer wants, including scale, shaft and fret board wood, profile, frets, fretboard radius and a tilt angle headstock of any design.  I'm looking forward to that.  We've also discussed a full on through neck '64 Reverse replica.

The Fiver does have the extra fret.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2011, 06:38:35 AM »
Reversed the reversed headstock in Photoshop

popp

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2011, 08:33:44 AM »
The brigde and tailpiece looking pretty awesome.
Some girls are bigger than others...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2012, 04:34:53 PM »
Got an order for a Fiver over the holidays.  I'm using a Scott pick guard and ThunderBucker EX5.  This one is going to be seafoam with matching headstock and Hipshot clovers.  Weight is 8.8 lbs.  B string has that Thunderbird sound, very healthy and piano like.  21 fret neck.

Rear control cavity cover is same as my '67 EBO, Scott sent me a tracing of one of his NRs for confirmation

Six bolts for extra grip

I'm still waiting on the new 4 string bodies with angled neck pocket to work with the new bridge.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 04:45:36 PM by dadagoboi »

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2012, 08:00:36 PM »
 Very nice! I like the six bolts!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2012, 09:03:10 AM »
Thanks, Scott.  The strap button will go on the top bolt closest to the nut.  Should balance pretty well with the 3+2 headstock (1t's 2.5 inches shorter than an original NR4) and fits in a standard gig bag (Warwick RockBag).
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 09:28:30 AM by dadagoboi »

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2012, 12:12:55 PM »
after my bonus i think i see a 5 in my future.  5 string  thunderbuckers also???

what is the string spacing?
JIM

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2012, 01:06:58 PM »
after my bonus i think i see a 5 in my future.  5 string  thunderbuckers also???

what is the string spacing?

I've been testing the ThunderBucker EX5 for the last 6 weeks or so, it definitely fills the bill.

String spacing is 2 11/16" (17mm string to string) at bridge, neck is 34" scale, 1 3/4" wide at the nut.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2012, 03:10:41 PM »
the old warmoth 5 string spacing before the gecko and new line.  always thought it was too close but as i get older `17-17.5 seems about right....
JIM

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2012, 03:23:50 PM »
the old warmoth 5 string spacing before the gecko and new line.  always thought it was too close but as i get older `17-17.5 seems about right....

It's the same as my G&L 2500 and Ibanez GWB-1.  I like it better than my Yamaha BB-605 which is 19mm.  The Thunderbird club thread on TB has some recent posts on the EXVs installed in an Epi Pro V.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2012, 02:54:15 PM »
JFC stop already your giving me gas! Things are tight right now (but good) The missus still works at Kodak but for how much longer who knows. Once things settle down I am in for a Cataldo NR. :)
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2012, 03:05:30 PM »
JFC stop already your giving me gas! Things are tight right now (but good) The missus still works at Kodak but for how much longer who knows. Once things settle down I am in for a Cataldo NR. :)

I've been hearing about Kodak all week.  Sure hope everything works out, Scott.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2012, 06:39:48 AM »
 Thanks Carlo, time will tell. She is a para legal and handles filling of patents, pretty specialized stuff. She has been very busy lately and there are only three people left who know the intricacies of the job and Cath is THE go to person. Who knows what awaits. Kodak lured her from the private sector almost 20 years ago, she will always be in demand somewhere. Her yoga studio is doing very thankfully and I have plenty of work.
I've been hearing about Kodak all week.  Sure hope everything works out, Scott.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2012, 11:24:47 AM »
From what I've heard, patents are about the only value left in Kodak.  Sounds like she couldn't be in a better position.  Great that her yoga business is doing well also.