Author Topic: RIP Steve Jobs  (Read 4073 times)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
RIP Steve Jobs
« on: October 05, 2011, 06:57:09 PM »
Steve's products determined my career path since I worked at my college newspaper. Thanks for all the incredibly cool Macs over the years, Steve. RIP. :sad:

http://news.yahoo.com/steve-jobs-dies--apple-chief-created-personal-computer--ipad--ipod--iphone.html
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
Re: RIP Steve Jobs
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 09:13:15 PM »
As a former Apple qualified tech I have a soft spot for Mr Jobs. I started working on Macs when they were headed down the path to obvivian under the old school corporate leadership of Gil Amelio. The effect of Jobs coming back to the company was felt all the way to the smallest tech rooms in Australia. An amazing man. RIP
Digresion our specialty!

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.brooksbassguitars.com
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 10:42:15 PM »
Ouch.
I've been a Mac user since 1990.

RIP Steve Jobs

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 12:45:54 AM »
A name that has always remained synonymous with Quality...

I had been expecting this for quite a while but it doesen't make the news any easier...

Rest in peace, Sir... :sad:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 02:15:25 AM »
Obviously, an Apple a day did not help here ...

I'm on the fence between Apple and Microsoft - with Apple the reborn christian fervor in their shops bothers me big time, Microsoft otoh is techno nerd utalitarian to me, but then I'm no computer guy anyway.

It's good though that there is not only Microsoft and not only Appple and for that we have to thank both Bill Gates and Steve Jobs who have both left a huge imprint.

Yeah, and I'm even prepared to forgive Steve that he killed the CD, rest in peace, with whatever extra applications you might need in the eternal Apple orchard.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 04:32:21 AM »
RIP, have always been a Mac users & the experience has been a positive one all these years.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 05:33:43 AM »
Likewise - After cutting my teeth on a Windows machine, my first encounter with an Apple product was akin to a religious experience, kinda like playing my Thunderbird through an old Ampeg for the first time. RIP Steve, ya done good.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 05:39:38 AM »
he killed the CD

He didn't.
The music industry did that.
Music industry had no answer to download sites like Napster etc. They only thing they could come up with was complaining and suing.
Jobs did the music industry a huge favor by inventing iTunes. A Dollar per song. Brilliant.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 05:58:07 AM »
I didn't say he killed music, just the CD as a media!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 06:53:55 AM »
Never been a Mac guy but I still respect his huge contributions and influence.

RIP.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 07:18:32 AM »
I didn't say he killed music, just the CD as a media!

Which he didn't.
The music industry did it themselves. 
Asking way too much money ever since the CD was introduced. Initially they said they had to keep the price high because they couldn't produce enough for the high demand of the market.
And they kept the prices way too high ever since.
No wonder people started sharing via peer to peer sites.

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 07:25:05 AM »
He was one of those peculiar computer nerds that were always so fun years ago, when they were few in number and knew they were ahead of the curve.  I made an ok living off the tech world for a while, and always dug the apple stuff even when all I was dealing with were pcs.  Anytime a pioneer dies it is tragic, but more so when they are young and really on top of their game.

For me, if he killed CDs, then he did the world a favor.  But he didn't - he just did what he did with the Apple computers.  By getting itunes and the ipod out there he exposed the archaic and limited nature of cds that other tech people were already running around explaining by using burners to copy CDs.  I loved that CDs rivaled reel to reel tapes for quality, and were more durable and compact, but all of that was down the tubes once the same computer nerds let the cat out of the bag that it was just a digital file on a piece of plastic.  Now I split my listening time between my ipod and my vinyl.  I don't know how things are around the world, but as far as taking stuff to the local used shop to sell, CDs have become virtually worthless in just the last couple of years (they can't get enough used vinyl).  The thrift shop near me was getting so overloaded with them that they gave up and priced all CDs at 39 cents.  And they still can't get rid of them!  Thanks, Steve Jobs!!!!
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 07:33:19 AM »
Haha, no one has mentioned the demise of the cassette, which I always liked.

When I worked at the college paper as a layout artist, the editors and copyeditors used to print articles on a Compugraphic machine. It was our job to cut those sheets into strips, run them through the waxer and stick them onto lined paper. Eventually, a negative was made of that sheet, then used to print the paper.

One day in 1988, we got in a new Apple Mac and I was asked if I wanted to learn how to lay out pages on it instead. It literally changed my life and determined my career path.

Steve's death probably personally affects me more than any "celebrity" death I can think of at the moment. He'll be missed.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 08:15:20 AM »
If you are a serious pro (am) musician or work in publishing or photography then your path was always going to end with a Mac...

If you are a writer then a Mac was only for show as solo WP work can be done with any old WP package...

I still have a typewriter and the 286 processor from my first PC (mod'd some parts for my daughter to make jewellery from ZIF CHIPS), but my (writing/drinking) buddy still nurses his CUBE (and his G4 and I know he still has his pre CUBE MAC... all of which still work...) ;)

Haha, no one has mentioned the demise of the cassette, which I always liked.

Who killed the eight-track, and lets hear a word for the 78, 45 and 33...? :o
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2011, 08:57:45 AM »
in spite of who killed what millions of used cds  are sold online and in used record shops every year. i can't remember the last time i bought a new one. vinyl just ebbs and flows and will always be sought after, thank goodness.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead