Author Topic: RIP Steve Jobs  (Read 4102 times)

Barklessdog

• View Profile
Re: RIP Steve Jobs
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2011, 01:23:09 PM »
in spite of who killed what millions of used cds  are sold online and in used record shops every year

CD's do not last forever. I went back through my Cd collection several years ago and many early CD's I bought no longer are readable by multiple players.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2011, 04:49:59 AM »
CD's do not last forever. I went back through my Cd collection several years ago and many early CD's I bought no longer are readable by multiple players.

Try doing a radio show where three cd players are constantly in use. It's typical for one of the players to absolutely refuse to play a particular cd which one of the other two will gladly play. This usually happens during a surf or punk set which contains songs of about 58 seconds.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2011, 06:12:59 AM »
I never was a fan of Apple or Jobs for this reason (from the NYT today)

"...All of Apple’s iDevices — the iPod, iPhone and iPad — use operating systems that deny the user access to their workings. Users cannot install programs themselves; they are downloaded from Apple’s servers, which Apple controls and curates, choosing at its whim what can and can’t be distributed, and where anything can be censored with little or no explanation."

1984 indeed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/06/opinion/jobs-looked-to-the-future.html?hp

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2011, 06:29:05 AM »

"...All of Apple’s iDevices — the iPod, iPhone and iPad — use operating systems that deny the user access to their workings. Users cannot install programs themselves; they are downloaded from Apple’s servers, which Apple controls and curates, choosing at its whim what can and can’t be distributed, and where anything can be censored with little or no explanation."

1984 indeed.

Regarding the comment that Apple uses "operating systems that deny the user access to their workings" I'd have to agree this is true. I'd also have to say this is largely the reason Apple products work and work well and reliably. Their software and operating systems are clean, not cobbled together over the years like Windows. This is also partly the reason (along with the low overall market share Apple has always had compared to Windows) why hackers and malware creators rarely create software designed to screw up Apple computers.

Regarding the comment that "Users cannot install programs themselves; they are downloaded from Apple’s servers, which Apple controls and curates" I must say that is utter bullshit. I can download any software I want from cds or downloads. This includes Apple's own OS and other Apple software, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Quark Xpress and anything else designed for the Mac.

Regarding this one: "choosing at its whim what can and can’t be distributed, and where anything can be censored with little or no explanation." I suppose this has to do with iTunes and music, but since I don't download music, I can't say anything about it.
Clocks.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2011, 07:04:24 AM »
Regarding the comment that "Users cannot install programs themselves; they are downloaded from Apple’s servers, which Apple controls and curates" I must say that is utter bullshit. I can download any software I want from cds or downloads. This includes Apple's own OS and other Apple software, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Quark Xpress and anything else designed for the Mac.

The quote is addressed only to the "i" devices:

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2011, 07:12:33 AM »
Oops, I missed that! iStand Corrected.  ;D
Clocks.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2011, 07:22:23 AM »

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2011, 07:26:02 AM »
The residents posted this-

http://www.dangerousminds.net/comments/the_residents_pay_tribute_to_steve_jobs_plus_new_live_3-d_video/

I wasn’t going to say anything. After all so many people are covering his accomplishments. But I thought it would be important to note how Steve Jobs has helped change and create The Residents.

Apple computers had a perspective that regular people should be able to do remarkable things that they would not normally be able to do if assisted by computers. Technicians should not be the exclusive controllers of that world.

The Residents have always been masters of using technology on a human scale. Ralph Records in the late ‘70’s ran on an old Apple II. The software used was custom written by Cryptic. That system meant that Ralph could operate cheaper and cheaper meant it could exist on smaller margins.

Macintosh arrived in 1984 and went to work immediately creating graphics. Album covers from 1984’s George & James to 2011’s Coochie Brake have been done on Macintosh computers.

Cryptic and Ralph launched a bulletin board on-line system (BBS) on an Apple II in 1984 named Big Brother. It is the Big Brother which this site honors as our first venture into on-line interactivity. You can read more about Big Brother in The Last Word.

The Residents ran MIDI live on an old Apple II at the Snakey Wake in 1988. The following year they toured CUBE E carrying their entire studio which centered around a Mac II, the most powerful personal computer that existed at the time.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2011, 09:31:54 AM »

1984 indeed.

You have captured the reason I feel the same way. 

Apple fans seem to feel that this is not an issue - I have never liked the total control approach that Apple has taken to their product line and related content.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2011, 11:31:49 AM »
You have captured the reason I feel the same way. 

Apple fans seem to feel that this is not an issue - I have never liked the total control approach that Apple has taken to their product line and related content.

For they record, they weren't my words.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2011, 01:06:57 PM »
For they record, they weren't my words.

That's cool....but I'll second them.

That's not an insult to Jobs, who was a visionary and one helluva salesman.  It's an observation about the way Apple set up their business model, which happens to be a model I dislike.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2011, 05:04:40 PM »
I always felt that Microsoft is more "bottom up"/"give the people what they want, who cares if it looks good or makes sense" in offering what the market demands while Apple is "top down", they create a longing for their product first, then satisfy it (which in itself is no mean feat). I also find that Microsoft is much more prepared to learn from mistakes and even discard a whole software program if it just doesn't satisfy while Apple is more staunch in its views what you need and what you don't need, anything else is heresy.

Did I tell you that as a Blackberry man how much I hate touchscreens?  :mrgreen:
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2011, 05:10:57 PM »
I useta be a Blackberry guy, but my HTC Evo has made me a believer in the Droid system and touchscreens.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2011, 05:25:44 PM »
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2011, 06:24:01 PM »
I've been a Mac user for almost 15 years, but I don't consider myself particularly rabid, and Steve Jobs passing hasn't really affected me. However, I once heard this expression and it resonated with me: "Windows is for what you have to do, Mac is for what you want to do."