Author Topic: Has anybody seen one of those?  (Read 7475 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Has anybody seen one of those?
« on: August 29, 2011, 05:43:25 AM »
Yes, I know, it reads Tobias, but they are made by Gibson in Nashville and even listed on the official site as Gibson USA basses.

"One of the Most Resonant Basses in the World

One of Tobias’ main concepts from the very beginning was that all instruments are first and foremost an acoustic instrument. Over the years, the company’s experimentation with different combinations of tonewoods produced a wide variety instruments with distinctly different sonic and tonal qualities, and the new Tobias Growler from Gibson USA continues this honored tradition. Starting with its solid multi-piece swamp ash body, the Tobias Growler is one of the most resonant basses ever made by Gibson USA. Swamp ash tonewood is characterized by huge, open pores and soft layers, which gives each new Growler a deep reverberation and fullness of sound across the entire frequency spectrum. The Growler’s tone is unique, and it’s hard to match. The highs are clear and bell-like. The mids are bold and pronounced. And the lows are strong and definite.

Electronics and Controls Bring Out Its Diversity

The new 2009 Limited Run Series Tobias Growler from Gibson USA stands out, and it’s easy to hear why. It gets its power from one of the best bass pickups in the business – a quad-coil, 5-string bass pickup from Bartolini. This advanced design delivers an extended and more resonant frequency range, along with more air and definition at the top end without sacrificing its lows and low mids. The pickup is also cast in epoxy to effectively remove any unwanted feedback and microphonics. A separate pickup-blend control lets you sweep between all four of its coils for unlimited tonal possibilities. Additional controls include the customary volume knob, and separate bass, mid and treble controls. Together, the controls of the 2009 Limited Run Series Tobias Growler lets you choose between a boundless array of sonic alternatives, allowing you the ability to adapt to any playing environment.

Subtle Changes, Big Rewards

In most cases it’s best to leave perfection alone. But two key differences to the new 2009 Limited Run Series Tobias Growler make it one of the best basses in its class. First, Gibson USA improved the Growler’s truss rod by making it bi-directional. The new, fully adjustable “Quad Bass” truss rod allows players the ability to adjust the Growler’s neck in both directions, a feature that integrates well with probably its best overall enhancement – the Growler is the first Gibson bass to receive the revolutionary Plek system setup. The Plek is a German-made, computer controlled machine that carefully measures each fret, along with the fingerboard height under each string, and then automatically dresses each fret, virtually eliminating string buzz and greatly improving the overall playability of the bass. This pioneering process does in minutes what it takes a luthier several hours — sometimes even days — to accomplish. Every fret is accurately aligned, and the bass is properly intonated, leaving the instrument “Plek’d” and amazingly playable.

Precision Glued Neck Joint

Still another key feature of the new 2009 Limited Run Series Tobias Growler is the change from using a bolt-on neck to gluing it in place. As evident on many of Gibson’s most iconic models, gluing the 34”-scale length neck to the body of the Growler bass ensures an exact “wood-to-wood” contact, leaving no air space in the neck cavity and ensuring maximum contact between the neck and body. This allows the neck and body to function as a single unit, which results in better tone, longer sustain, and no loose or misaligned necks. The neck is constructed from pure maple with purple heart laminate for a creamy smooth feel and easy, comfortable playability. It is matched with a 24-fret rosewood fingerboard void of any inlay markers and no binding.

Tobias Tradition, Gibson Innovation

Everything about the 2009 Limited Run Series Tobias Growler breathes excellence. The rightful adherence to the quality and tradition set forth in the mid-1970s remains intact in every detail of today’s masterpiece. Just like the name Gibson represents more than a century of originality and superiority, the name Tobias guarantees quality and distinction, leaving no doubt that the bass in your hands is one of the finest in the world. The new 2009 Limited Run Series Tobias Growler from Gibson USA maintains this tradition. And like all the guitars from this special series, only 350 will be produced and distributed. Each one will come with a Tobias case and special Limited Run Series certificate of authenticity."

Having resigned myself to the fact/fate that I will never get my hands on a Continental V, I am now considering to obtain one of those:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Bass/Gibson-USA/Tobias-Growler.aspx

What makes this bass different from other Tobias Growlers both from the Michael Tobias and the (much derided among Tobiasites) Gibson (Gibson bought Tobias in the early nineties) era is the chrome hardware, the ABM bridge and the - a bow to Gibson tradition - set neck. (All other Tobias Growlers are bolt-on.)

So has ever anyone of you seen one of these in a shop or with one of the mailorder shops? The official Gibson site still lists them among Gibson USA basses, but that site is often hopelessly behind things. OTOH, I cannot believe that the market could have gobbled these up so quickly if really 350 were built. Tobias basses have their diehard fanbase, but 99% of them are only interested in the pre-Gibson takeover output. I've randomly checked ebay in the last few months, not once did one show up.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 03:08:05 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Has anybody seen one of those?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 06:12:41 AM »
Tobias Tradition, Gibson Innovation

Must be a typo.

I haven't seen any new Tobias for years. It's not something a Gibson dealer would normally order for store stock.

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 03:52:00 PM »
Innovation?  It looks like every other coffee table bass on the market.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 12:43:26 AM »
How did you miss this...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 02:58:28 AM »
I didn't. I was just waiting for a convenient one to gobble up because I thought these things would sell like rabied pups and a cheap one would come up sooner or later. But I never saw one crop up anywhere, expensive or cheap.

I guess this is is the high grade version of Tobias' Stingray or ATK. It's not the first time that Gibson builds a bass from formally another brand. The Lee Sklar Sig was a Valley Arts (that boutique Fender kitchen Gibson bought) idea and kept the look of it too.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 07:01:35 AM »
Looks like Uwe has GAS.

And it is contagious, I never gave a thought to Tobias before but I like that bass.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 07:04:06 AM »
If you can time travel back to 1995, you'll probably find all you want.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 08:05:30 AM »
There used to be tons of Tobias basses around here since in those days Knoxville was still in the outlying regions of Nashville players' orbit and I can attest that there really is something almost almost intangible that makes pre-Gibbie models far superior. I remember the first time I played a post-Gibson model; I wasn't even aware of the change in manufacturing/ownership but I could tell that the instrument in my hands didn't feel like any of the Tobias basses I was used to, and not in a good way. The Gibson produced models aren't bad basses, but they have never recaptured whatever magic was in the old ones. To be fair, none of the MTD basses I have played have either, but I'm pretty sure the only ones of those I have encountered have been import models.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 09:53:45 AM »
Common sentiment seems to be that Tobias lost the boutique feel after the Gibson takeover and that the new stuff feels upmarket off-the-rack in comparison.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 01:05:26 PM »
I know this is "Bring out your dead", but...

1987 EXPLORER - boutique

Pricey...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 04:23:21 PM »
Pricey ain't the word for it. That's ridiculously high.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 04:55:21 PM »

If you have GAS and don't know what to do, I'm really sporty for a Black Les Paul Oversized  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 11:18:41 AM »
That one's been on and off ebay for quite some time now. I just can't figure out why no one has bought it yet.  ;)

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 02:16:45 PM »
 ;D

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2013, 05:16:41 AM »
I have meanwhile learned from Gibson that the Tobias Growler 2009 Limited Run that started this thread was never built. The flood came when production should have started and they never bothered to return to that model once operations started again. Doesn't sound like a lot of orders then.  :mrgreen:

And once again - following the sad Continental V affair - I have been deprived of a Gibson model, insult to injury, insult to injury ...
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 07:03:03 AM by uwe »