Author Topic: Has anybody seen one of those?  (Read 7476 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Has anybody seen one of those?
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2013, 01:20:34 PM »
Personally, I think Uwe should sue Henry for mental cruelty, with that last page still being up, and maybe settle out of court with the prototype being delivered to ze Fatherland in lieu of damages...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2013, 06:43:44 AM »
I like the way you think, Ken.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2013, 10:59:45 AM »
Precision Glued Neck Joint

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Bass/Gibson-USA/Tobias-Growler.aspx

What makes this bass different from other Tobias Growlers both from the Michael Tobias and the (much derided among Tobiasites) Gibson (Gibson bought Tobias in the early nineties) era is the chrome hardware, the ABM bridge and the - a bow to Gibson tradition - set neck. (All other Tobias Growlers are bolt-on.)

I'll bet there is no tenon on the neck and it is simply a non-drilled bolt-on that is glued in place. Probably just getting rid of a pile of old Growler necks that were made and sitting in a pile....or ONE extra neck, hence the lack of more of them to sell :)

Like those Gibson Epi's stamped "Official Gibson Prototype" I have, using old Grabber/G3 necks that they hacked off the lower body horn on to make a "new" model. Good drugs in that R&D department.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2013, 12:33:50 PM »
I like the way you think, Ken.

The marthter hath taught me well...

The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2013, 08:25:56 AM »
I'll bet there is no tenon on the neck and it is simply a non-drilled bolt-on that is glued in place. Probably just getting rid of a pile of old Growler necks that were made and sitting in a pile....or ONE extra neck, hence the lack of more of them to sell :)

Like those Gibson Epi's stamped "Official Gibson Prototype" I have, using old Grabber/G3 necks that they hacked off the lower body horn on to make a "new" model. Good drugs in that R&D department.

I believe those did not even reach the prototype stage so that what we see on that pic might just be an old Growler with the neck screws photoshopped away. That is one thing were Gibson is strict: They don't male bolt-on basses. Even the reissues of former bolt-on basses such as G-3 and Grabber are set neck. It's been roughly 25 years since a bolt-on bass left Nashville, the one and only exception being the oddball Lee Sklar Signature bass which was originally a Valley Arts project and then abducted by Henry J into the Gibson CS.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...