Author Topic: Buzzard  (Read 19164 times)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: Buzzard
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2009, 03:38:18 PM »
This is getting complicated. So I was flirting with Uwe, thinking you were flirting with Uwe, while Uwe was flirting with Ken, while Ken hasn't been in touch with his feminine side yet and he has a secret crush on Mark?

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2009, 03:45:10 PM »

Exactly................except it's different  ;)

I'm bullying back alittle.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2009, 04:50:58 PM »
You got it all wrong there, Doug... I'm just lookin' out for my big sis...  I jus' don't wanna see her gettin' hurt  :o ;)

Crush...? Orange Chrush....! after all, what's my frequency...?

Uwe...? he doesn't need to flirt, he has my undying admiration...

and btw, if my most in-depth (Sci-Fi) literary work is anything to go by (first novels being autobiographical, so psychologists say), I'm in deep, deep trouble and due for collection any day now... (written, mostly, in first person, male and female, old/young/hetro/bi/gay lead characters, paranoid schizofrenics, God like beings, multi-dimensional, time-spanning beings, AI, planet relocations, and that's just the first 20 pages...)

T is long black sleeves with an off white body and a colour design, but it is in the loft - will try to dig out and check...  ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2009, 06:39:05 PM »
I still have that Priest shirt somewhere around here! Thanks for the memories!!
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2009, 10:05:30 PM »
Chris, I could see it was custom made, I just wasn't sure if it was from Warwick or if you were having it built by someone else.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2009, 10:41:00 PM »
Dave, the part of the plate was a bit of a joke;)

Yep, it's Warwick. Warwick founder and owner HP Wilfer is a business partner and a good friend of mine. He wanted me to play a Warwick and who am I to discuss that opinion? He also knows I dislike active basses and I don't like the small fast Wicks like the Thumb. So we made this plan and he made a good price. If I hadn't have this contact I would never be able to afford such a bass.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2009, 05:39:41 AM »
Chris, your going to have to grow some poofy hair !

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2009, 06:00:17 AM »
First time I've read through this thread. Total entertainment value as usual  ;D  Interesting bass Chris. Sounds like a cool project. I'm wondering what the balance is gonna be like?

Digresion our specialty!

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2009, 06:30:49 AM »
:)

Balance:

The strange thing is that the strap button is at the 19th fret instead of at the 12th fret on a Fender. The whole bass is situated to the left and you need long arms (which I have) to reach the G-tuner. Thank god it's angled... (the tuner)

Because it's so much to the left you immediately put the bass more to the right like BB King or... Entwistle. So you hold it more besides you. I do that all the time with other basses, so it's natural to me. I tried one out with different woods at the Messe and there was no real balance problem. I hope mine hasn't either. But I'm used to Birds, so a little neck heavy is just fine.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2009, 07:27:59 AM »
Yeah its interesting to me, coming from playing a Jazz mostly my whole life I have found it an interesting transition to playing Gibson style basses. Its been great looking at the pics some of you have posted (especially Marks  Birds) as far as getting a handle on how to make the comfort thing work for me. I know I nearly put my back out the first time I played the Explorer at a gig. But now with a different approach it is really very comfortable. The minimal neck dive that it has doesn't actually get noticed by me when I'm playing it.
Digresion our specialty!

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2009, 10:00:34 AM »
The minimal neck dive that it has doesn't actually get noticed by me when I'm playing it.

that's been my experience with neck dive in general.  death to the nefarious neck dive myth!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2009, 02:50:54 PM »
Not a myth! Some are worse than others, but I sure notice it. And the offender usually doesn't stay in my collection for long.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2009, 03:51:58 PM »
Doug, how you've changed, again...  ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2009, 10:18:47 PM »
I haven't changed that much, guys. No spandex of long curly hair for me. I just bought a matching black Fred Perry polo with a red and grey pinstripe:)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2009, 12:16:05 AM »
A bit late after a year, but I did some measurements. Of course the Buzzard has 26 frets, to 20 of a P. But I think the first MEC vintage humbucker is placed exactly at the same spot as the split pick up on a P. With neck through maple, mahogany bodywings and a rosewood board I guess it have to sound nice. And the second pick up can add some nice highs and together of course they will have the compressed dual humbucker Basvarken signature sound.