Author Topic: lollar tbird pups  (Read 4654 times)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: lollar tbird pups
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2011, 09:34:47 AM »

Mike's are still made domestically but now he's using a more reliable source in addition to his original supplier.

The Chinese manufacturers and consumers I know understand, "you get what you pay for", "caveat emptor", and "trust but verify" at least as well as most American buyers I've met in China...and they don't scrimp on QC.

At this stage of the game anything that is manufactured for export in China and is not what it's spec'ed to be is at least partially the fault of the buyer, either due to ignorance, arrogance, apathy or collusion.  IMO

Definately true!

The best model trains I can buy are from China, often the diework is created here and shipped there for the models to be produced/assembled, they're premium priced too. I've got no problem paying for a nicely executed piece like this one.
Notice the alternating side panels, free standing door locking bars and roller track for the doors........The paint and lettering is flawless, *if* one could have scratchbuilt such a fine model 10 years ago it would have won any contest! Today you can buy it and just enjoy right away.

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2011, 10:28:45 AM »
Please note that I said "more reliable." I'm not saying that Chinese products are generally unreliable.

Magnets and copper wire are commodities. When I see Chinese-made pickups selling for less than what the raw materials would cost if they were made according to normal specs, then something is not right. May be collusion between the manufacturer and importer, maybe not.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2011, 12:33:59 PM »
Please note that I said "more reliable." I'm not saying that Chinese products are generally unreliable.

Magnets and copper wire are commodities. When I see Chinese-made pickups selling for less than what the raw materials would cost if they were made according to normal specs, then something is not right. May be collusion between the manufacturer and importer, maybe not.

I totally agree Dave.  I think Barkless was trying to start something and succeeded ;D

Great boxcar and a beautiful shot, Mark.  I have a few Japanese 1/24 diecast sportscars.  Incredible detail down to the tiny mesh inside the hood scoops.  This is a '69 Ferrari Daytona I bought in Hong Kong and shot on my terrace in S. China.  Factories and smog in the distance.

n!k

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2011, 12:36:32 PM »
The manufacturing in China also has the great pleasure of dumping refinery chaff, waste chemicals, and dyes right in the river if they so please. The cost of hyper industrialization is paid for by the land and the people of modest means and that is part of the equation for me, too. Sometimes its not always about justifying a 10% price difference versus the quality of the product, sometimes the big picture is important too.

Sincerely,

an as-of-yet-not-outsourced American engineer.
Half-speed Hawkwind

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2011, 01:49:36 PM »
The manufacturing in China also has the great pleasure of dumping refinery chaff, waste chemicals, and dyes right in the river if they so please. The cost of hyper industrialization is paid for by the land and the people of modest means and that is part of the equation for me, too. Sometimes its not always about justifying a 10% price difference versus the quality of the product, sometimes the big picture is important too.

Sincerely,

an as-of-yet-not-outsourced American engineer.

Nik, this borders on a political discussion...where do you think the USA ranks among developed nations in environmental protection?  China has had an incredible 25 year run, it remains to be seen what they will do to solve their acknowledged environmental problems.  Many in the US do not even admit we have problems.  I lived in Louisiana for much of the Nineties.  That place was/is an environmental disaster.  The price differential is usually much more than 10% between Chinese and the equivalent quality US product but it is shrinking.

I outsourced myself when I tired of dealing with lazy workers and a worker's comp system totally out of whack.

n!k

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2011, 02:19:46 PM »
Its quite a bit more than political, its historical, ethical, ... the whole bag of worms. I don't know if political discussions are allowed here, and I certainly don't want to take away from music, a great refuge from the insanity of the world, if they're not.

Sometimes the difference is more than 10%, of course, it was just a number I threw out for my point. I don't think we can simply treat the equation as a normal, trivial, consumption decision. Like you would compare brands of eggs or models of cars.
Half-speed Hawkwind

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2011, 04:21:29 PM »
Its quite a bit more than political, its historical, ethical, ... the whole bag of worms. I don't know if political discussions are allowed here, and I certainly don't want to take away from music, a great refuge from the insanity of the world, if they're not.

Sometimes the difference is more than 10%, of course, it was just a number I threw out for my point. I don't think we can simply treat the equation as a normal, trivial, consumption decision. Like you would compare brands of eggs or models of cars.

Very true, it's extremely complicated.  But we live in a culture that increasingly oversimplifies issues.

PWV

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2011, 08:31:36 PM »
Not to derail the thread back to the OP, but Jason indicated to me that his TBird pup's would be ready in about 60 days.  I'm hoping to put them in my Fenderbird - and yes, Lollar P-bass pickups are the best I've heard as well.  So I'm kind of riding that mojo as I proceed...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2011, 10:37:49 PM »
Not to derail the thread back to the OP, but Jason indicated to me that his TBird pup's would be ready in about 60 days.  I'm hoping to put them in my Fenderbird - and yes, Lollar P-bass pickups are the best I've heard as well.  So I'm kind of riding that mojo as I proceed...

Dave, nice to see you posting again. And thanks for steering the thread back.  :)

PWV

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2011, 02:29:17 PM »
Dave, nice to see you posting again. And thanks for steering the thread back.  :)

You too Dave!  I'll try to be here more in 2011!  *Hey did you like my pun "Not to derail..."  Saw Mark's Model Train pic, and the door was wide open!  Can I get a rimshot?  :mrgreen:

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2011, 02:44:13 PM »

Dave,

If you're going to use some of Jason's pups in your Fenderbird and the originals become surplus let me know - I'd like to hear them again before you take them out.........
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2011, 04:44:45 PM »
You too Dave!  I'll try to be here more in 2011!  *Hey did you like my pun "Not to derail..."  Saw Mark's Model Train pic, and the door was wide open!  Can I get a rimshot?  :mrgreen:

At your service!  ;D

PWV

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2011, 08:41:27 PM »

Dave,

If you're going to use some of Jason's pups in your Fenderbird and the originals become surplus let me know - I'd like to hear them again before you take them out.........

Will do Mark - I'll let you know before I head over to his shop. 

OVERDRIVEN66

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2011, 05:41:16 PM »
I spoke to Jason and he said the internals for the Lull T-Bird pickup is from TV Jones.
Former touring professional. 60's T-Birds 300 days a year on the road with an SVT. Bliss!!

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2011, 05:58:29 PM »
I spoke to Jason and he said the internals for the Lull T-Bird pickup is from TV Jones.

Yes.

But let's keep it on the quiet side ( that was Mike's expressed preference) and he does use another larger domestic manufacturer as well because TV was unable to meet demand.