Author Topic: Siamese JAEbirds  (Read 39381 times)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: Siamese JAEbirds
« Reply #105 on: February 19, 2011, 11:39:46 AM »
I use a drawknife, or did until just breaking out the PorterCable after seeing how Fender did the originals.  Just takes doing a few in a row to get the technique down.  I'll post a pic of the results when I get out of the shop, and the drawknife too.

Re the pocket/bridge jig, working on that at the moment...what I find better than a vix is making the drill press into a "pin" drill press and using a template with that.  Again will get some pix when I sort things out.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #106 on: February 19, 2011, 01:13:53 PM »
 I didn't catch that in the Fender video  ??? Porter Cable what? Belt sander, Disc sander? Once I have mine roughed in I use My Ryobi 18v sander
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 04:41:39 PM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #107 on: February 19, 2011, 04:19:26 PM »
I didn't catch that in the Fender video  ??? Porter Cable what? Belt sander, Disc sander? One I have mine roughed in I use My Ryobi 18v sander
That's some beautiful mahogany and work, Scott!

Fender used a modified stroke sander.  My Porter Cable is a 4"x36" with 80 grit belt sander, pulls 10.6 amps.  We used to attach extension cords and race them at the speaker cabinet shop I worked at in the early 80s.  This one was less than $100 on Ebay, new maybe $250. turned on its side and clamped to the workbench it works pretty well as an edge sander.  I also have a Ryobi 3x24 but it doesn't have the grunt.

The draw knife has a very slight radius, works pretty well, I've used it on the previous JAEbirds using the same drawn radiuses on the back and side you did.  With the belt sander I hold my elbows in and pivot my torso.  Come on down, I'll give you a lesson. ;D

This is the jig I came up with for locating bridges, those are 1/8" brass pins sharpened in 1/8" holes .  Give  them a tap and the holes are located enough for wood screws.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #108 on: February 19, 2011, 04:45:04 PM »
Geeze I have some draw knives hanging in the carriage house, never thought to use them ! Come on down? I just might take you up on that !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 21, 2011, 10:25:48 AM »
That's what I was thinking about as well Carlo.  I still think that you save steps, and time, and eliminiate variability by using a centering bit and drilling the holes while the jig is on the body.  ;D  
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 08:14:22 PM by Lightyear »

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #110 on: February 21, 2011, 12:14:01 PM »
I agree with you, Buzz.  The template shown is strictly for drilling the bridge holes.  The template for cutting the pups/neck pocket mounts on the back and pin routed before the perimeter is shaped.  Once I'm sure these bridge holes are going to work consistently they'll be transferred to that jig and will be done with the pups/neck pocket. 

There's a slight innaccuracy with the pin router, 1 mm at the neck end off the centerline becomes 3 at the bridge but I think I may have it sorted out.

Lightyear

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 21, 2011, 04:07:33 PM »
I half expect you to come up with a used CNC setup here pretty fast - don't put too much energy into the jigs ;D
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 08:13:40 PM by Lightyear »

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 26, 2011, 07:02:28 PM »
Hey Carlo, now that I have my pin router set up the with the router under the table, which type of spiral bit would you recommend for it?  Upcut or downcut version?
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Lightyear

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 26, 2011, 08:17:44 PM »
I have used both.  The down cut will give you a cleaner cut edge but will clog much faster as it drives the trimmings down into the channel it's cutting.  The upcut bit won't clog as quickly but can cause some tearout.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 26, 2011, 09:10:58 PM »
I have used both.  The down cut will give you a cleaner cut edge but will clog much faster as it drives the trimmings down into the channel it's cutting.  The upcut bit won't clog as quickly but can cause some tearout.

Figures!  There's no perfect solution.  If I use a downcut and the template is on top, wouldn't the trimmings just fall down anyway?

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #115 on: February 27, 2011, 05:23:55 AM »
Figures!  There's no perfect solution.  If I use a downcut and the template is on top, wouldn't the trimmings just fall down anyway?

Onsrud recommends upcut, if you think about it on an upside down router up is down which is what you want.  The Onsrud has a great chip removal system so I haven't had a problem with tearout.  There's a place close to me that resharpens solid carbide bits for $18.

This is the best price I've found on bits
http://www.cncroutercentral.com/CNC-Router-Onsrud-bits-52-200.asp

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 27, 2011, 06:03:16 AM »
Onsrud recommends upcut, if you think about it on an upside down router up is down which is what you want.  The Onsrud has a great chip removal system so I haven't had a problem with tearout.  There's a place close to me that resharpens solid carbide bits for $18.

This is the best price I've found on bits
http://www.cncroutercentral.com/CNC-Router-Onsrud-bits-52-200.asp

Thanks, I placed an order this morning. Those are good prices.  Also ordered a bigger router with 1/2" collet for the bigger bits.

Lightyear

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 27, 2011, 12:40:29 PM »

The downcut will only clog the cut if you're cutting in captive spaces - like mortises and dados or neck pockets and pickup cavities ;)  Edges trimmings and shallow cuts wouldn't be a problem.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 27, 2011, 12:42:27 PM »
The downcut will only clog the cut if you're cutting in captive spaces - like mortises and dados or neck pockets and pickup cavities ;)  Edges trimmings and shallow cuts wouldn't be a problem.

Makes sense!  That's even better since most cavities will be mostly pickups and controls.  Thanks!

Lightyear

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 27, 2011, 12:55:15 PM »
Oh yeah, kind of my opinion here but, I like 1/2 inch bits run at slower speeds.  I get less tear out and less heating/burning.  The bits cost more but I think last longer -  the return is worth it.