Author Topic: James Gang  (Read 3091 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: James Gang
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2010, 04:16:04 PM »
Turn me over - play me again

If I have to explain, you ain't a fan...

Joe Walsh is sadly a shade now but I collected so much of his work over the years...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Chaser001

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2010, 11:40:50 AM »
part of what made me love JG was the power trio and clearly funk 49 should never be sung by anyone other than joe walsh.  I actually saw them with Bolin.  not a bad show

The first band I was in opened up for the James Gang once.  Despite not having Joe Walsh, I certainly felt they sounded great.  They were set up on a stage directly across from us.  I decided to not bother them, but Domenic Troiano did come over and talked to me briefly.  However, I do have to say that I tend to like power trios.  I listen to them a lot and my last band was a power trio.  I probably enjoyed playing more in that band than in any other. 

Chaser001

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2010, 12:04:15 PM »
Turn me over - play me again

If I have to explain, you ain't a fan...

Joe Walsh is sadly a shade now but I collected so much of his work over the years...

To answer my own question, I suspect that 2006 reunion tour might have been their swan song. 

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2010, 02:01:21 PM »
Now that we have touched american power trios.  Some of you out there must know of Glass Harp.  one of my ATF

Never heard of them, great sounding Jazz Bass/Traynor rig
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2010, 05:29:18 PM »
I remember my sister having a Phil Keaggy album a long time ago. I think it was some kind of Christian rock that he was doing then. Don't remember much about it at all tho.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2010, 07:34:47 PM »
I saw the James Gang in '06 and it was surprisingly one of the best concerts I have ever seen.  Joe's voice still sounded just like the records, and his guitar tone was fantastic.  The rhythm section were no slouches either.  They played a lot of material from "Rides Again" and a few from the 1st album & Thirds.  Excellent show - I really enjoyed it.

Muzikman7

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2010, 05:57:46 PM »
Sometime in the '60s ('68-'69) I saw a show at Saratoga Performing Arts Center with Arlo Guthrie, Three Dog Night and James Gang on the same bill.
Tony

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2010, 05:39:51 AM »
How was Three Dog Night live?

I always had a weak spot for them, still do. It was the "rock band" at school even the girls would like. And I remember being impressed by their first live album. Listening to it over at a friends house, I was smitten by the rawness of it. To my fledgling rock ears it sounded utterly "underground".  :-[ Listening to it today (I bought the CD a while back) it's a pretty echoe-y and indistinct affair though.  :mrgreen:
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2010, 05:45:02 AM »
Now that we have touched american power trios.  Some of you out there must know of Glass Harp.  one of my ATF

No wonder Scott likes them, the bass is too loud! I have never heard of them before either. I always thought Blue Cheer and early Grand Funk Railroad had been the first US power trios.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2010, 06:24:04 AM »
i don't know who was first but it didn't help that nobody knew who these guys were.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2010, 11:21:42 AM »
I also remember Keaggy as more of the christian rock and new age guy from the 80s.  Never thought to look back at what he'd done prior to that- that's a rockin' group!  Oh, and I got an Ebow several months back and had seen this demo of him with one...

That Ebow is impossibly hard, but I admittedly haven't spent much time with it yet.  He makes it look effortless here.

...and speaking of rockin', this is still my favorite version of Walk Away.  I like the aggressive sound and drumming here compared to the arrangement that made it onto Thirds.  Their heavier stuff always appealed to me- The Bomber, etc...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2010, 12:11:13 PM »
That IS a whopping version. They've taken all the Doobie Brothers out of it!

Muzikman7

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2010, 05:20:25 PM »
How was Three Dog Night live?

I always had a weak spot for them, still do. It was the "rock band" at school even the girls would like. And I remember being impressed by their first live album. Listening to it over at a friends house, I was smitten by the rawness of it. To my fledgling rock ears it sounded utterly "underground".  :-[ Listening to it today (I bought the CD a while back) it's a pretty echoe-y and indistinct affair though.  :mrgreen:
I did not buy their records but as a live band they were great the three of them could sing their asses off and as you said the band did have a rawness about them. All three acts were great that night Arlo Guthrie did "Alice's Resturant" I thought James Gang would have stayed together longer they were a good band.
Tony

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2010, 05:24:43 PM »
That IS a whopping version. They've taken all the Doobie Brothers out of it!
This version is very much like the one on a JG live album , can't remember the name, whatever the name it sure made a impression on me loved the bass sound!!!!!!!!! This arrangement is far superior to the studio version.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Chaser001

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2010, 06:18:47 PM »

"Walk Away" is my favorite James Gang song.  Here is "Midnight Man," something totally different.  It almost sounds like a country rock version of a Beatles song with female backing vocals.