Author Topic: ERGO BASS Redux  (Read 4328 times)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
ERGO BASS Redux
« on: September 26, 2010, 10:46:55 AM »
This didn't get much (any) response when posted this build.  I started a TB thread as part of some build 'contest.'  There was eough interest for me to complete the build.  2x4 body, Lace Alumitone pup, modded Ibanez neck, transparent black toner lacquer that looks sorta brown, gold, green or charcoal depending on the light.  It hasn't been color sanded or buffed yet.

TB thread  http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=684119

Original LBO thread  http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=4002.0

It weighs 6 lbs, not 5 (must be that extra coat of Nitro).  It's my take on a 21st Century PBass.  Passive, expressive, lightweight, 1 pup and "sustainable' but woodlike.
Good for a 4 set gig at Trader Tom's Topless Titty Tavern if it still existed.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 11:25:04 AM by dadagoboi »

Garrett

Re: ERGO BASS Redux
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 10:58:30 AM »
beautiful bass.....well done!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 11:19:41 AM »
Beautiful ! I really love the simplicity.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 11:49:42 AM »
That's sweet!

Is that a combo strap button/input jack?  That's interesting!

About the only thing I can't get used to is non conventional location of the control(s)

What's it sound like? I'm assuming that it's not neck heavy due to the upper horn length?

I'm wondering if there might not be some level of marketability in your concept here - light, simple, comfortable - cheap?!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 12:16:29 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the compliments.

That's sweet!

Is that a combo strap button/input jack?  That's interesting!

About the only thing I can't get used to is non conventional location of the control(s)

What's it sound like? I'm assuming that it's not neck heavy due to the upper horn length?

I'm wondering if there might not be some level of marketability in your concept here - light, simple, comfortable - cheap?!

Yep, endpin jack eliminates an extra component and wiring is a straight shot from there thru pup cavity to control cavity. 

The stack pot is easy to use and you can tell at a glance what your settings are.

The Lace pup has a very smooth response, weighs 2 oz.  No neck dive, the upper horn could be quite a bit smaller.  I like it visually.

I initially designed it to sell as a Geezer P for all those reasons.  But I don't want to do the marketing involved and have found it's easier to sell a replica of something that already has a known appeal, the expensive Fender clone makers are proof of that.  High end is really the place to aim in small numbers, too many good cheap basses out there to compete with.

The positive response is definitely encouraging, I may do one with a mahogany body.  The workmanship would be the same whatever the price.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 01:51:00 PM »
This came out really cool.  I remember those Ibanez basses in the 80s that had the really narrow/elongated bodies - looked strange but felt really comfy.  I like this shape of yours a lot better.

Nice idea on the stacked pots and placement too.  It almost seems like that might be a more natural place for the controls.  Easier to see at a glance, anyway.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 05:12:10 AM »
"Trader Tom's Topless Titty Tavern" - Hahahahahaha!

To be honest, I never saw the first thread! Nice job, Carlo!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 07:39:12 AM »
Very svelt. As Scott said, the simplicity is appealing. cool bass.
Digresion our specialty!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 07:45:10 AM »
I think it's more than a little elegant!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 07:47:47 AM »
nicely done.  it's got a real nice flow to it.
what can you tell me about the headstock laminate you used?  

Steve
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 08:22:37 AM »
Thanks for all the compliments!  I like to get things down to essentials, about the only unnecessary part is the pup ring.  Glad it's completed, last week I told my daughter it would probably be an orphan but maybe not.

nicely done.  it's got a real nice flow to it.
what can you tell me about the headstock laminate you used? 

Steve

The laminate is from woodcraft, 41/2"x12" sequenced maple about 1mm thick.  Small amount of figure.  Maybe 8 pieces in a pack for $9?  It did not want to bend in that direction.  I soaked it and that helped.  But I didn't let it dry enough before gluing it down and it cracked in a few places when everything dried, luckily it filled pretty easily, learning experience.  I used the same stuff on the back of my Fenderbird headstock, flat, with no problem.  They don't seem to have the exact stuff anymore.
http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2004978/2004978.aspx

This may be the closest
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2004978/6165/Maple-Figured-3-Sq-Ft-Veneer-Pack.aspx

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 03:12:08 PM »
Missed the first thread... probably before it's time...

Very interesting... 8)

I remember comrades remarking (jesting) on my re-placement of the pup selector in the Les Paul (sixer) position on my RD; after all, the controls were so well placed... ;)

Keep living on the edge, Carlo (not necessarily of the trailer park... ;D)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 03:38:21 PM »
Missed the first thread... probably before it's time...

Keep living on the edge, Carlo (not necessarily of the trailer park... ;D)

The first thread was a while back and sort of blah.  I also didn't post any updates.

Wish I did live in a trailer park, the road would probably be paved and I could get a good deal on meth.

birdie

• Trying hard to be the person my dog thinks I am.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2010, 09:58:25 PM »
Very cool bass! I like the end-pin idea a lot, also.
Fleet Guitars

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2010, 10:14:59 PM »
I like the bass, very much a refined Pilot bass look. Could you be specific about that Alumitone pickup's sound? I'm really wanting to try one in my three pickup 'Fender's' P position, but the cost of buying one is too much to chance on me not liking it. I know the soapbar will sound slightly different than the Precision model but you're the only person I've seen actually using ANY model of Alumitone.