Author Topic: ERGO BASS Redux  (Read 4409 times)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: ERGO BASS Redux
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2010, 03:21:59 AM »
I like the bass, very much a refined Pilot bass look. Could you be specific about that Alumitone pickup's sound? I'm really wanting to try one in my three pickup 'Fender's' P position, but the cost of buying one is too much to chance on me not liking it. I know the soapbar will sound slightly different than the Precision model but you're the only person I've seen actually using ANY model of Alumitone.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Lace-Helix-NeckThrough-Electric-Bass?sku=521012

I agree with the way the pups are described.  I bought a single pup bass from Musician's Friend (owned by Guitard Center BTW), loved the pup, was not impressed with the bass and returned it...cost $0.  Jeff Lace says the Bassbar is better, they sound the same to me.  There are some threads on TB discussing Alumitones.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2010, 04:58:05 AM »
There are some threads on TB discussing Alumitones.

I'm IP banned from TB, which means I'd have to view it through a proxy server. That's too much work for me to have to do that and then sift through all the BS there.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2010, 05:24:43 AM »
I'm IP banned from TB, which means I'd have to view it through a proxy server. That's too much work for me to have to do that and then sift through all the BS there.

I stick to the luthier corner pretty much.  Seems fairly sane compared to the rest of the place.  Show your hunk of wood, look at someone else's hunk of wood.  I don't care to get involved in a discussion about burled crapwood, seven stringed, 5band active Praise basses.  "Look, honey, I bought it for Jesus." ;)

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2010, 05:43:31 AM »
I don't know if you caught it when I posted in the Bach thread, but I've played several Warrior basses. The GOOD ones would be hard pressed to outdo a stock Mexi-Fender.  I'll keep the five plus grand in difference and have better tone and no need for the penis extensions, er, extra strings.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2010, 05:59:41 AM »
I don't know if you caught it when I posted in the Bach thread, but I've played several Warrior basses. The GOOD ones would be hard pressed to outdo a stock Mexi-Fender.  I'll keep the five plus grand in difference and have better tone and no need for the penis extensions, er, extra strings.

I didn't see your thread about Warriors but apparently we feel the same way about 'Boutique' basses.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2010, 08:37:00 AM »
very much a refined Pilot bass look.

That's what I was thinking. Cool bass. Well thought out and executed.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2010, 09:18:55 AM »
That's what I was thinking. Cool bass. Well thought out and executed.

I stole the shape from Lace's Helix, but it does resemble the Pilot's, especially the back end, just googled one, guess that's where they stole it.  Pretty much I modded the Lace shape to look a little more traditional, have better balance and sit on a knee better.

Original prototype compared to a Jazz

$50 Ebay Ibanez TR-50 as a donor for neck and body, extended the neck pocket and glued a 2x4 on the back end to have enough to work with.

I'm lucky enough to have had my design training before computers, I get to play with the equivalent of blocks instead of CAD.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2010, 11:17:18 AM »
Could you imagine letting me loose on a boutique model... :vader:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2010, 11:34:15 AM »
Maybe if there were no spokeshaves or drawknives in the vicinity.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2010, 11:36:58 AM »
You sure know how to hurt a fellow... :sad:

(belt-sander...? please...?)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...