Author Topic: Back from ze House of Pain ... (Dave Warning: Spalted Maple Content!!)  (Read 27610 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
I found a guitar for ya!

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-FX360-Electric-Guitar?sku=584489

MF's blurb calls spalted maple a tonewood. That's quite a stretch.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Hmm... so if I read the back story to this thread correctly, spalted timber is the luthierian equivalent of Icelandic shark meat, or Japanese puffer fish... as long as it is treated with respect, the pleasure of the person eating it is enhanced by the known risk they are taking...

Each to their own... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
"Can I get a #1 with a Coke please?"

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
Hmm... so if I read the back story to this thread correctly, spalted timber is the luthierian equivalent of Icelandic shark meat, or Japanese puffer fish... as long as it is treated with respect, the pleasure of the person eating it is enhanced by the known risk they are taking...

Each to their own... ;)

C'mon Kenny - meat is your friend - it doesn't want to hurt you!  ;D

Highlander

• View Profile
There are some seriously dangerous vegetables out there, too... have you ever eaten a seriously hot aubergine curry...?

Just don't work near a naked flame the next day... :o
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
There are some seriously dangerous vegetables out there, too...

Reminds me of a former coworker who ate a jalapeño and then went to the bathroom without washing his hands first. Amazing how far his screams carried.

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
Hot stuff! I like hot peppers but I always remember to wash my hands.
Don’t be stupid, be a smartie - come and join die schwarze Hardware party!

Highlander

• View Profile
I guess this is quite apt for the name of this thread...

Chilli Curry - I'm happy to supply the recipe for those man enough (daft enough, more like) to risk it...

I was mucking about for the top picture (safety glasses, etc) - it's much easier (and safer) to use scissors and never to touch the contents... the second pic show the onion, chillis, and paste, prior to reduction... this leaves you with a seriously warm but pleasantly feeling gut... not for novices or those with known gut issues and a SERIOUS-NO-NO for those with ulcers...

I've used Dorset Naga's for the heat but found them to be over-rated - scotch-bonnets have a better flavour; mostly I prefer Jalepenos with green or red birds-eye chillis (ratio of about 5 to 1) with red onions and spices...

On a serious note - if you don't know what to expect, don't even think it - I've been eating seriously hot food for over 35 years now and know the old adage...

What burns on the way in, burns on the way out...

Even cooking this amount of chillis can be detrimental to your eyes and nose-lining...

A cure for burning is dairy products (ideally natural yoghurt or soya milk works too) and don't be stupid enough to think that lost of cold drink will help - this only helps to disolve the acid and spread it further (making it worse) whereas "milk" emulsifies the acid and reduces the effect...

Oh yeah, and Dave, my Devon buddy did that the night these shots were taken, but was man-enough not to scream (didn't stop me laughing my head off, though ;D ;D ;D) more a zipper-catches-skin - Jackie took the pic of me chopping - she doesn't do chilli so it's all my own work... :vader:

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com

Kenny that looks pretty good!

Have you thought about refinning your P.C. Thunderbird like your shirt?   ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
Hi folks!  :mrgreen: This is the way we make Chili up in the north! We call it Gibson chili! Sometimes we even call the day after the chili The Thunderbird day. Can you imagine!

2 dried ancho-peppers
1 chipotle pepper
1 birdseye-pepper
1 jalapeno-pepper
olive oil
10, at least, pieces of garlic, chopped quite rough
2 kilos of meat
About 200 centiliters of light beer
a handfull of flour
1/2 coffeecup of chili powder
1 coffeecup dark meat broth
1 spoonfull cummin
1 spoonfull of oregano
1 spoon of grinded coriander seed
1 teaspoon of sugar
salt
(masa harina)

Start with the pepper. Use rubber gloves. Take away all except the fruit walls. Put it in some water, cook for about 15 minutes under lid. Let the pepper get cool.
Fry the garlic, soft, until it's light brown. Put it in a big pot on the stove.
Cut the meat in one centimeter big pieces. Fry the pieces until they're brown all around. Put the meat in the big pot with the garlic. Stir.
Mix the flour and the chilipowder, sprinkle it over the contents in the pot.
Strain off the pepper water. Mash the pepper, put it in the pot. Mix with the meat and the garlic.
Pour the pepper water, the meat broth and the light beer in the pot until it covers the meat. Let it boil! But just for a while. Turn down the heat so the pot just simmer.
Add the cummin, oregano and choriander. Stir often, so the meat don't get burnt. Let the pot cook until the meat starts to fall into smaller pieces. It might take a couple of hours, but no more then 3 hours.
Serve with corn chips, cheese, guacamole, maybe some lettuce, and beer or wine. And, of course, tequila. En masse!

Just one thing. Do not forget about the rubber gloves when taking care of the different peppers. Otherwise you might as well use a soldering iron if you stop to pick your nose.

This version of the chili is, of course, a softer Swedish one. I guess there's lots of Gibon-related recepies out there, and really hope we can get them alive here, in this very forum!

Hornisse

You guys are making me hungry!  Those are some serious peppers there Kenny.  I once (when I was much younger) bet a guy I could eat a Thai Pepper at a restaurant.  I would have been fine if it hadn't squirted the back of my throat when I chewed on it.  The waiter (who was Thai) just smiled.

Lightyear

• View Profile

Kenny that looks pretty good!

Have you thought about refinning your P.C. Thunderbird like your shirt?   ;)

What about to match the curry!? :P

I love hot food, growing up here in Texas I cut my teeth on it but, I'm really am not into erroding my stomach lining in pain and agony - let alone the flambe'd butt ;D

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com

Ahhh........

Nuthin' like a flamey "O" ring the next day to remind you of a good meal  ;D
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Lightyear

• View Profile
Yeah, but do they make a cream that contains dairy for that ;D

chromium

• View Profile
Nice, Ken!  That's what I'm talkin' about (looking at the pile of chillies).  I routinely pepper-gas my family while cooking, and they hate me for it   ;D

Love the Thai chillies too.  No meal complete without prik nam pla...