Author Topic: Back from ze House of Pain ... (Dave Warning: Spalted Maple Content!!)  (Read 27481 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
"When Parker and the freighter's captain (Stanley Fields) get into a fight because the drunken captain abused M'ling (Tetsu Komai), a terribly ugly servant, the captain tosses him overboard into Montgomery (Arthur Hohl) and Moreau's boat and hauls up the ladder. As the animals are being unloaded, Moreau tells Montgomery that he intends to take Lota (Kathleen Burke) to Parker, which surprises Montgomery greatly. Parker eats dinner, and then retires to the lounge. Moreau then introduces him to Lota, a beautiful and kind girl, who seems simple. They talk for a little while, and Lota talks to Parker in a very kind and tender way. Suddenly, the two hear screams coming from a locked room. Lota calls it the House Of Pain, and when Parker enters, he sees a horrible monster being given surgery by Montgomery and Moreau without any anasthetic. Convinced that Moreau is brainwashing and torturing people for fun, and that 'he's next', Parker tries to leave the house where he has been staying, and for the first time runs into the animal-men. Saved from them by Moreau and his assistants, Parker observes the island's strange social structure. Moreau cracks a whip and orders an animal-man known as the Sayer of the Law (Bela Lugosi) to repeat the rule against violence. Once that happens, the animal-men return to the jungle."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gL3P377BQA&feature=player_embedded

Ze wild creature before:

And after its "treatment" at Dr. Mathias Schindehütte's House of Pain:

« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 11:57:40 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Iome

• Born to rock..forced to work
    • View Profile
You burned it?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
 :mrgreen:

Not quite!!! (Man, how I knew appreciation for pimpy boutique tops would be hard to generate here!  :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:)

It received a spalted maple top (not veneer), gold TB Plus Chrome pups, Hipshot micro tuners and a Hipshot Supertone bridge.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 09:10:42 AM by uwe »

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com

I can deal with it pretty well except for the Supertone, I've yet to see applied to bass that it worked on aesthetically. On 'Birds it hangs over the center block ugh........It's curvy shape doesn't play well with the Explorer's "moderne" style either. It needs a nice Goldie 3 point Herr Moderator. just my .02 tho.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
You must REALLY love that bridge to install it in a bass that didn't have a 3-point! :D
Spalted top with gold hardware is kinda... mature for me, I'm only 31 (my mind has stuck on 16 or less thru), but I love Explorers! So thumbs up!
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
" I can deal with it pretty well ..."

"You must REALLY love that bridge ..."

You heathens!!!!   ;D The ghost of Dave W. lurks everywhere here.

Won't at least one person step up and sincerely lie how much he likes it?  ??? ??? ???
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 09:17:27 AM by uwe »

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
Spalted isn't really my favorite look, but I think this turned out pretty cool (And I don't even like gold hardware at all). I give it a big thumbs up! :thumbsup:
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Andy, have I ever told you what a handsome chap you are and fine player to boot?  :-* :-* :-* :-*

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
I agree...very cool look, and I'm not a gold hardware fan either...or generally a fan of spalted tops.  I often find them self-indulgent and overdone, but for some reason this works for me.   8)
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
I stand undefeated and unrepentant. My next project will see my Gibson V vamped up and receive an Eddie van Halen red/white/stripey fin!!! No joke, it's already at the luthier in the exquisite hands of Herr Schindehütte!!!

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com

"You heathens!!!!  "

You rang? 

Again I like it! (gold hardware and all) Just *that* bridge.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
Don't get me wrong, I like the Wal-ish look of the supertone, but I don't understand why did you use that and not a "normal" hipshot. Explorers rock, even spalted ones.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
I would be happy to Kennify something for you, my Lord... :vader:

(do I smell sulphur...?)

This is probably bad news for your approval aspirations, Uwe, but she get's my nod of approval... definitely a gold fan... definitely a spalted timber fan... You need a nice sunset shot with the sun behind you to show her off in all her glory... 8)

Just one caveat... couldn't this be considered fin-ist...? definitely now a boutique fin, so how will you be able to warrant another...

Actually, two... gotta agree with Mark... the bridge just does not go with the angular design... see if you can get someone to kraft an angular design - no curves...

Oh yeah, and commiserations from the Scot's - Holland Vs Spain...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Let me say without any irony or joking that I really like it. I'm not a fan of gold hardware at all yet it looks beautifully in place on that bass. You took a wallflower and turned her into a prom queen (Supertone and all)! She looks like the custom shop beauty she (now) is.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 10:36:11 AM by OldManC »

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
That came out beautiful !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird