Author Topic: Ibanez Thunderbird  (Read 10841 times)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Ibanez Thunderbird
« on: May 18, 2010, 11:09:15 AM »

I've long wanted one ( Thanks to George ) and now this one is on it's way to me!
A buddy on TB was looking at this but passed due to lack of funds, so it'll be here next week  ;D

This is the seller's pic, obviously it needs the company of a Blue Subaru.

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
Re: Ibanez Thunderbird
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 11:21:48 AM »
Nice! Now that I see how that sits in the case (like my Epi) I'm not so worried about it. :)
What kind of pups are in that?
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 11:24:57 AM »
Nice! Now that I see how that sits in the case (like my Epi) I'm not so worried about it. :)
What kind of pups are in that?

Their (Ibanez') design, I'm hoping George (Old Man C) will chime in later - I think he's got one. 
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 11:43:06 AM »
The feel of these wonderful basses is more Greco than Gibson. The nut width is the same as the Greco, as well as where the neck meets the body. The pickups sound great. My Ibanez records really well. There's a slight compression that helps it cut through a mix, and the tone is pure bird but maybe not as blurry as some can get. The bridge is a two point, but it's the early 70's Gibson two point style (ever -tilt), and mine has plastic saddles. The tail piece takes care of anchoring the strings though, so there's no problem with any tilting. The bolt neck is the only thing that might cause these basses to get less respect than their Greco cousins, but if so, it's only in the eye of the beholder.

BTW, I've heard that there are set neck Ibanez Thunderbirds, and I saw an auction for one once (though it could have been a Greco with an Ibanez TRC), but I've never played nor seen one in person.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 12:05:58 PM »
Very cool! Congratulations! Pick ups look like mini-humbuckers....

I hope to score a one pick up copy once...

Hornisse

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 02:32:08 PM »
Sweet bass Mark.  The guitar player in my band has 3 of the lawsuit Ibanez Destroyer guitars all from 1976.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 03:03:58 PM »
Who else has made Thunderbirds (quality stuff, not bargain bin) ...?

Edit: Kenny, I meant to reply to this but hit the wrong button and edited your post instead. Sorry!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 03:49:51 PM by OldManC »
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 03:49:11 PM »
Nice find- congrats, Mark!  You hardly ever see those for sale.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 03:51:20 PM »
Who else has made Thunderbirds (quality stuff, not bargain bin) ...?

Most of these are pretty rare to find (other than Greco, Epi, and Orville), as most weren't ever regular catalog items. The popularity if the body style led many brands to build them for their endorsing artists in the mid 80's to early 90's, so that's where most of these come from:

Epiphone
Epi Japan
Orville
Orville by Gibson
B.C. Rich
Jackson
Hamer
Spector
GMP
ESP

I'm sure there are more... What am I missing, guys?

Hornisse

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 05:44:40 PM »
I just posted some photo's of a Roscoe T-Bird on your other thread.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 08:09:13 PM »
I have played Dennis Kipridis from the Streamliners Ibanez. I admit to becoming enamoured by it. It sounds fantastic. Those pups are very sweet sounding. It has in my opoinion an almost perfect neck (for me).

http://www.myspace.com/thestreamliners
Digresion our specialty!

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 05:53:27 AM »
Nice score Mark!!!
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 06:48:23 AM »
That's a good-lookin' bass, Mark.  We'll look forward to the obligatory Subaru pix.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Basshappi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 10:59:51 AM »
Awesome!
Nothing is what it seems but everthing is exactly what it is.

Johnbob

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2010, 11:13:05 AM »
Wait, what is going on here? I know about the Greco's and Orville's but I never knew that Ibanez made a  Thunderbird. That's crazy. Of course I know that Ibanez and other big guitar manufacturers have made Jazz bass, P. Bass, Les Paul, Strat rip offs but I never knew Ibanez made a Thunderbird. I feel like other rip offs by major companies at least tried to change the headstock shape or something in an attempt to not get sued but that T-bird looks pretty much like an exact rip off. Did it actually come with the T-bird logo on the pickguard like that or did someone add that at some point? Crazy.