Author Topic: Ibanez Thunderbird  (Read 10838 times)

Hornisse

Re: Ibanez Thunderbird
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2010, 06:10:34 PM »
Very cool!  Can't wait to see a group shot.

Funkster

• View Profile
    • JFHProductions
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2010, 05:22:34 AM »
Awesome! can;t wait for the review!
LIFE Is all about ass. You're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, or trying to get a piece of it. 
http://www.jfhproductions.net/
Henry

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2010, 08:37:13 PM »

Allright!

So I've had a chance to play my new sweetie a bit, I really like it  ;D

As George mentioned early on the kinship to my Greco is more than just passing as the pics will show. Soundwise it's parentage is there too, but more refined than the Greco ( which is a Holy Terror!) with a little less bite and growl coming thru overall. I spent a little time cleaning it up with a dry toothbrush as it was quite dirty, with lots of unidentifiable detritis all over! It does have an Evertilt type of bridge with plastic saddles and is a bolt on neck construction bass as well. As I played it some I found the pickups were too close to the strings which lead to a lot of distortion and uneven sound reproduction -a few turns of the height adjustment screws fixed that in short order.    
 Playing it thru the Traynor it is nice, warm, growly and evenly balanced with both pick ups up full especially with pick. Rolling the bridge pup down a bit gives you the classic almost P kind of tone using your fingers, and taking the neck pup back some gives you a little more definition almost like John Taylor's tone. Pretty simple to get nice workable pleasing sound out - I like that

Here's some pics of it and a few extra's alongside it's Japanese cousin.....

Note the TRC without the Ibanez logo, George (Old Man C, you'll alway be '69vette to me! ) was very kind and sent me a scan of one with an the logo so I can make an new one. Thanks George!!!!

Ms. Greco

Kissin' cousins  ;)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 08:52:27 PM by TBird1958 »
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2010, 09:38:33 PM »
Looks great! Next time you record, try it out and see if it records as well as I think it will. I LOVE how mine sounds in recordings.

I've always loved the old Ibanez logo. Gotta love these birds!

Funkster

• View Profile
    • JFHProductions
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2010, 03:40:26 AM »
Oh My very nice write up and I'm completely jealouse! Congrats on a wonderful score. 8)
LIFE Is all about ass. You're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, or trying to get a piece of it. 
http://www.jfhproductions.net/
Henry

Hornisse

« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2010, 06:01:42 AM »
Looks great Mark!  A rare "bird" indeed!  I've never seen one in person, and I've seen a lot of basses.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2010, 10:33:52 AM »
Very nice, Mark; very nice...

The pups look tiny when she's beside your Greco... new covers coming up or will you leave as is...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2010, 11:25:45 AM »
Very nice, Mark; very nice...

The pups look tiny when she's beside your Greco... new covers coming up or will you leave as is...?

I like this bass as it is.........there's a kind of a fun kitchy vibe to it, yet it's a great player that I won't hesitate to take out to shows.  I started a new TRC this am, (again thanks George!) the only other thing will be the addition of a strap pin at the neck heel.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2010, 12:26:09 PM »
Cool bass Mark ! I have only seen one once before when they first came out !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2010, 01:31:47 PM »

Thanks Scott!

I'da thought you guys were gonna ding me on my wall color!  ;)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2010, 01:56:18 PM »
Close match to the Hamer I just bought ! Being a painter (among other things) for 30 plus years there is not such thing as a bad color. ;)
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2010, 03:05:30 PM »

Thanks Scott!

I'da thought you guys were gonna ding me on my wall color!  ;)

....As long as it's not purple, we cool!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2010, 10:35:58 AM »
Not very girlie... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2010, 07:40:32 AM »

A little truss rod cover post script.
Again a very big "Thank You" goes out to George (Old Man C) for the scan of his Ibanez Bird TRC, that's what makes LBO the best forum around anywhere! I made this one from a bit of polystyrene and then masked and painted it with some laquer ( I love the smell of Dupont 3602 in the morning!) and my Iwata double action airbrush.  :)

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2010, 08:22:40 AM »
Wow, that looks GREAT!