Author Topic: Tilt-O-Matic cure  (Read 8060 times)

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
Tilt-O-Matic cure
« on: January 28, 2010, 04:53:23 PM »
What have you all found is the best cure for a tilted bridge on an EB?  Is there any suitable replacement bridge available?

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Tilt-O-Matic cure
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 05:06:11 PM »
Hipshot has two new drop in replacements for the three point and the two point. You can see them here:

http://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_list&c=31

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 05:21:20 PM »
Those Hipshot bridges look ugly as sin (IMO :mrgreen:), but i'd bet they function very well.  Has anyone here used one to replace a Tilt-O-Matic?  Which one would fit?  If I remember correctly, the early two-point bar bridge has a slightly different stud spacing than the Tilt-O-Matic.

birdie

• Trying hard to be the person my dog thinks I am.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 05:38:33 PM »
I doubt I'm the only one here, but  depending on  the bass, I use a couple of coins under the front of the bridge. Works like a charm etc.....!
Fleet Guitars

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 05:43:44 PM »
Coins, washers etc.....................
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

birdie

• Trying hard to be the person my dog thinks I am.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 05:48:01 PM »
washers work, but coins add to the value ;)
Fleet Guitars

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 07:18:03 PM »
 I got  an Epi newport  & to redo, sort of speak. Im going to put  the base of a mute  under it for now. That way I wont gouge the top when I add the pennies. :mrgreen:
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 04:35:07 AM »
Those Hipshot bridges look ugly as sin (IMO :mrgreen:), but i'd bet they function very well.  Has anyone here used one to replace a Tilt-O-Matic?  Which one would fit?  If I remember correctly, the early two-point bar bridge has a slightly different stud spacing than the Tilt-O-Matic.

I like the design of the hipshots, but it is no doubt modernistic with a military-utalitarian look. But the Tilt-O-Matic is such a horrible piece of crap, I was prepared to foresake a period-apt look.

Though intended for the later sixties Evertilt with individual bridges and not the preceding bar bridge (which doesn't tilt as bad), the Hipshot Supertone fits both. I have it on my EB-3L, my EB-4 (both early seventies and with the later Tilt-O-Matic) and my Kalamazoo KB-1 (the SG, not the Bronco-like shape) which featured the original early sixties bar bridge. On that, the woodchip masonite of the body would not hold the posts/studs of the bar bridge anymore, they "ate" their way forward to a progressively greater tilt, so I tried the Supertone out of desperation. It did fit in stud spacing (Hipshot allowed for some leeway), but as the studs on the KB were not parallel but in slanted position (for better intonation with the bar bridge) the Hipshot bridge would have been slanted (it worked, but looked weird like some Dali picture) so I had my luthier drill new stud holes and voilĂ ! But the spacing distance would have worked and the early sixties Gibsons with the bar bridge have the studs in parallel.

This is the supertone bridge that would fit, it's called "two point super tone bass bridge" by Hipshot and is not quite as big a beast as the other one:

http://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=326

It's an excellent piece of work and vindicates US engineers and designers from the lingering shame of the Tilt-O-Matic, albeit belatedly. Buy it and try it. Should you not like it, I'll take it off your hands, I always keep a few around and would not hesitate to use them in a project too where there is no need to match the old stud spacing. They are easy to adjust, robust as a P-40 and make comfortable handrests for pick players. And look like they came out of a Terminator picture. You will also notice an increase in sustain and tone density though lack of sustain is such a non-issue with Gibson basses that this is not really a required improvement. But you'll notice it and it feels nice.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 04:40:40 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 04:43:30 AM »
Great review Uwe.
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 05:40:23 AM »
I put one (3-point version) on my TB burst rehab project and I love it.  It has the same versatile function/adjustability that the Warwick bridge used on the most recent LP basses had and is easily purchased here in the US.  In fact, Hipshot is only a hour or so from my house and I've spoken to them on the phone, great folks, very helpful!  I really like the look of the two point version.  In fact, I might use that one on a new project I have in mind later in the year.

Here's mine.  I think it looks fine.........and works well!

I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 06:12:16 AM »

Beautiful!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 08:06:13 AM »
Beautiful!

Thanks!  It turned out well and the bridge really is a nice piece of hardware.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 08:51:37 AM »
So it's now the Tilt-o-matic? Have we officially abandoned Evertilt?

No respect, I tell ya...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 01:30:47 PM »
But can you really get the action low with it?

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010, 01:33:54 PM »
I like it so low it buzzes and yes, on my TB, it works just fine.