Author Topic: Tilt-O-Matic cure  (Read 8065 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Tilt-O-Matic cure
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2010, 01:43:10 PM »
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

low!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2010, 02:22:34 PM »
Two thumbs up! I replaced the Tiltus Maximus on my '72 EB-3 with the Hipshot and it made a huge improvement in the playability
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2010, 06:57:22 PM »
 :toast:

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

low!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2010, 06:34:52 PM »
Has anyone mounted the SuperTone 2-point bridge on a long-scale bass yet?  I found some pictures of one mounted on an EB-0 here:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=575912

The bridge studs on my EB-4L are very close to the edge of the body.  I'm not sure if that SuperTone design with the long offset in the rear will mount on the body without hanging over the edge.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2010, 07:05:39 PM »
I've seen the Schaller two point replacement bridge on long scale EB basses and it does hang over the rear edge of the body a little bit. Not sure about the Hipshot. I'd like to put one on my long scale SB, but that had a different bridge all together. What's the bridge nut spacing on those ever-tilt basses?

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2010, 09:35:33 PM »
Has anyone mounted the SuperTone 2-point bridge on a long-scale bass yet?  I found some pictures of one mounted on an EB-0 here:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=575912

The bridge studs on my EB-4L are very close to the edge of the body.  I'm not sure if that SuperTone design with the long offset in the rear will mount on the body without hanging over the edge.

Why not email them or give them a call - from all reports these guys are top shelf and will go out their way to help.  Seems like would be easy enough get the distance from the center point of the mount hole to the back edge of the bridge.  To my eye it looks to be about 1 1/8"

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2010, 02:48:15 AM »
Why not ask me or read this thread from the start?  :rolleyes:

May I quote from reply # 7:

"Though intended for the later sixties Evertilt with individual bridges and not the preceding bar bridge (which doesn't tilt as bad), the Hipshot Supertone fits both. I have it on my EB-3L, my EB-4 (both early seventies and with the later Tilt-O-Matic) and my Kalamazoo KB-1 (the SG, not the Bronco-like shape) which featured the original early sixties bar bridge."

So yes, I've mounted the 2 point supertone on my EB-3L and my EB-4L. It is a snug fit, but doesn't hang over one bit. Distance from EB-4 pup ring to Supertone base is slightly less than 6" and the bridge base is slightly less than 2" wide, making it end just a little before the bevelling starts at the butt of the bass which is about 8" away from the pup ring. Verstanden? No issue.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 03:25:04 AM by uwe »

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2010, 05:22:58 AM »
Thank you, uwe.  As I'm sure you're aware of, Americans are known for our short attention spans. :-[ :-\

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2010, 07:15:02 AM »
What was your question again?  8)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2010, 10:58:47 AM »
I've seen the Schaller two point replacement bridge on long scale EB basses and it does hang over the rear edge of the body a little bit. Not sure about the Hipshot. I'd like to put one on my long scale SB, but that had a different bridge all together. What's the bridge nut spacing on those ever-tilt basses?

Don't tell me you actually want to get your SB-400 repaired after all these years?! Don't rush things!  :mrgreen:

The two point Supertone bridge would fit your SB. String spacing is the same on SBs, EB-0s, -3s and -4s. Besides the Supertone is string spacing adjustable too as the cylindrical notched saddles can be moved from side to side after loosening of an allen screw that holds them in place.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2010, 12:22:25 PM »
After some experimentation I found that lighter tension strings calmed down the neck a bit so I don't HAVE to replace the rod necessarily (it just looks like hell with a couple of washers thrown on and the acorn nut almost completely rounded off). I'm not as worried about string spacing as I am the spacing of the bolts that affix the bridge to the body. If that spacing it the same I may go for that fix. I actually like how those pickups sound (even if they are black plastic), so I won't be changing those out.  ;D

I've come to really like the EB shape so I want to start using it more. Can't do that until it has a serviceable bridge. Still have to decide what color to paint it though!

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2010, 02:13:58 PM »
I didn't know those SB basses had gotten this expensive:

http://eldreds.com/sales/detail.php?itemID=138383

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2010, 08:01:21 PM »
Extreme IMHO.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2010, 04:03:41 AM »
After some experimentation I found that lighter tension strings calmed down the neck a bit so I don't HAVE to replace the rod necessarily (it just looks like hell with a couple of washers thrown on and the acorn nut almost completely rounded off). I'm not as worried about string spacing as I am the spacing of the bolts that affix the bridge to the body. If that spacing it the same I may go for that fix. I actually like how those pickups sound (even if they are black plastic), so I won't be changing those out.  ;D

I've come to really like the EB shape so I want to start using it more. Can't do that until it has a serviceable bridge. Still have to decide what color to paint it though!

Oh, now I understand your question!  :-[ The studs of the Supertone are farther apart than on that one-of-a-kind bridge the SB 300 and 400 featured. The inner side of the mounting holes of the Supertone only start where the slooted mounting screws of the SB bridge have their middle. You might be able to force the Supetone on top with sheer force and ignorance, but it would look crab. Beside, the mounting studs for the Supertone have a much thicker diameter than the ones fpr the SB bridge.

That said, why do you want to preserve the original stud spacing? By the time SBs become collectible neither of us will be still alive.  :-\

It wouldn't look bad, you know (excuse pic quality - Blackberry shots)?

« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 04:15:57 AM by uwe »

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2010, 06:46:49 AM »
whoa! i've never seen that SB bridge before.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES