Author Topic: 1977 Gibby T-bird on Guitar Center's used gear page  (Read 8745 times)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
Re: 1977 Gibby T-bird on Guitar Center's used gear page
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2010, 04:49:03 PM »
No headstock repair. TB plus pups. They say it is beat up bad they gave it a 4.  I am working on a deal with them, what do you guys think I should offer them ?

Good luck! I'm glad I held off calling them since it will go to a good home if you pick it up!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Muzikman7

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2010, 06:43:49 PM »
Flash $900 at them they'll take it.
Tony

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2010, 07:36:06 PM »
Missing that Black '77 you sold me?  ;D

Oh, it's missed! Nah, I have a few things that might help Scott complete the bass (if that's what he wants to do with it). I could also use his services for a few things so I thought a trade might be in order. Too soon to count on anything though...

As for GC and their dealing, I found a used Ampeg cabinet there the week before Christmas and decided to see what I could get it for. The first guy I spoke to (who claimed not to be involved with the bass dept but was the only one who could help me at the time) said the longer a used piece is in inventory, the more they would deal on it. That being said, the cabinet I wanted had only just come off it's trade waiting period (I guess in case it was hot?), so he didn't think they'd deal much at all. Once the right sales guy showed up I told him what I wanted to pay for it and after checking his book I walked out the door with it for what I wanted to pay, which was $65 less than what they had it listed for. I've been watching GC used inventory ever since and even their asking price was $50 or more under what the cabinet is listed for (used) at all the other locations. I think I did alright, so you never know...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2010, 05:36:43 AM »
For the most part I find GC annoying but once and a while you can find a good deal there. My 70's fretless parts bass for 350.00, the Washburn B20 (squared off explorer looking thingy) $165 I flipped it for 700 +, My newly aquired LP Triumph $1,000. Just keep checking and something will pop up.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Iome

• Born to rock..forced to work
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2010, 05:41:44 AM »
You already got the Model G's for it?  ;D

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2010, 05:45:29 AM »
I do and a '76 cover  ;D
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2010, 05:48:29 AM »
There's no equivalent for GC (that I am aware of) in the UK...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2010, 09:23:38 AM »
There's no equivalent for GC (that I am aware of) in the UK...

I think the older more established GC's are much better than what I've got here in Seattle - they are filled to the brim with multiple examples of the cheapest crap, utterly detestable. I don't like to even give them money for strings but do so because it's convenient - across the street form my work.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2010, 11:00:00 AM »
Guitar Center was one of the first guitar shops I ever entered, back in 1978 or so. It was on a corner across the street where one is now on Sunset in Hollywood. Almost the whole block on that side of the street was guitar stores, so I spent a lot of time there over the years! The attitude and (lack of) organization were loudly evident even then. I think that was before GC was even a chain, but I don't know for sure. I do know that it was the worst shop on the block. I always figured it was because I was a 13 year old kid and they figured I'd never buy anything, but I never got that reception in the other shops and I eventually spent quite a bit of money on that block a few years later.

GC can be convenient and worthwhile if you go in knowing exactly what you want and what you think you should pay for it, because the sales guys are rarely any help. Whenever I found one he was gone a month or two later... The upside is the deals you can get once in a while. Even the newer stuff gets blown out every now and then and you can get some killer deals.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2010, 02:47:42 PM »
GC can be convenient and worthwhile if you go in knowing exactly what you want and what you think you should pay for it, because the sales guys are rarely any help. Whenever I found one he was gone a month or two later... The upside is the deals you can get once in a while. Even the newer stuff gets blown out every now and then and you can get some killer deals.

You can say the same about almost any big chain, from Home Depot to Best Buy. It's best to know your product ahead of time because most of the time you'll get someone who doesn't know what to tell you and is likely to say what he thinks you want to hear.

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2010, 12:09:20 PM »
So, for explanation, how do you buy something that you find on the GC website?  Say you are in Florida, and the thing you find is in California - do they ship it direct, to a local GC, do they have any standard shipping charges or arrangements?  I ask as a while back I was looking on their site and found something on the other side of the country, but it appeared you would buy it either on line or over the phone, but they had no provision for delivery.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2010, 12:25:06 PM »
On the website it mentions no charge shipping to your local store, but some things listed are marked as 'local sale only', so I guess it depends on the item or location.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2010, 01:11:51 PM »
Two calls in to these guys and still no reply, I guess they don't want to sell it.......................F 'em
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 01:32:49 PM by godofthunder »

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2010, 03:00:11 PM »
 I promised myself I would not call again........................but I did. They want $950 I think I have a new Tbird  ;)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2010, 03:12:54 PM »

You*think* you do?

Congratulations on your new bass!

I'll be interested to see if the TRC has slanted or straight script Gibson, nothing else says ROCK! like a black Thunderbird  :thumbsup:

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...