Author Topic: 1977 Gibby T-bird on Guitar Center's used gear page  (Read 8828 times)

birdie

• Trying hard to be the person my dog thinks I am.
    • View Profile
Re: 1977 Gibby T-bird on Guitar Center's used gear page
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2010, 10:18:25 AM »
Scott is on a spree!!
Fleet Guitars

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2010, 11:10:30 AM »
Some day there will be a statue at the ferry dock in Port Townsend honoring Mark.  It will be a statue of the back end of a Subaru with a T-bird on a stand behind it. Kids will walk up and try to play the T-Bird all day.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 11:15:44 AM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2010, 11:13:04 AM »
I saw 'back end' and thought this was going in another direction but you saved it with an apt description of the future memorial.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2010, 02:04:35 PM »
Scott is on a spree!!
So far self employment has been a good thing. 8)
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2010, 06:25:10 AM »
Big day today I can't wait !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2010, 04:52:15 PM »
 It's here ! A well worn but intact bird ! I spruced her up a bit, new guard and a model G hiding under the neck pup and a dummy cover by the bridge for now. I am going to send off some covers to Seymour Duncan but it could be six months before I see those pups ! I also added the correct knobs. This bass sure was played ! More pics tomorrow. How she arrived and now

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2010, 04:56:28 PM »
Some day there will be a statue at the ferry dock in Port Townsend honoring Mark.  It will be a statue of the back end of a Subaru with a T-bird on a stand behind it. Kids will walk up and try to play the T-Bird all day.

I love this Al, just one correction It should be Pt Angeles.

Scott the lettering on the TRC.......is it slanted or straight?
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2010, 04:59:03 PM »
Nice one!  

Hey did you consider skinning the TB+ pickups and loading up the 70s covers with those?  That would save you the time and $ of getting the SDs.  It seemed to be a pretty safe and easy process, just like Mark and Tom had said.  They sound great in my Bach.

Hornisse

« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2010, 05:00:53 PM »
What a st(d)eal!  Looks like it is smiling because it knows it is going to be played!!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2010, 05:02:58 PM »
Will she be "modified" for upper neck access...?  ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2010, 06:06:02 PM »
 Mark, the stamp on the truss rod cover is angled. I am not a fan of the TB plus pups so I won't be going that route, that is a slick mod if you like 'em though. Kenny no I will spare this one the saw, my white one is a 2001 not exactly vintage.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: 1977 Gibby T-bird the good the bad and the ugly
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2010, 12:55:24 PM »
This bass while worn is a lot better than I thought it would be. What I feared might be a crack on the upper wing is just a long compression mark. To install the TB Plus pickups the bridge cavity was deepened, cleanly with a router, no real harm done there. The pick up rings were widened with a file rather sloopy job , those will be replaced (one already has). The back has quite a bit of wear but it is honest player wear. The frets are original and are in excellent shape, no where near the player wear the body shows, must have had flats on it for it's working life. No headstock repair! :o The truss rod nut was ground flat on one side, the threads on the truss rod also look like it got hit with the grinder as some of the threads are ground flat, weird I don't know how or why this was done, the good news is that the truss rod works just fine. Not the prettiest of birds but a real bargain and I am already starting to fall for it. I may just keep the Dimarzio model G under the hood  ;D  Came with a nice new Epi Thunderbird case.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2010, 01:17:12 PM »
Another "after" shot.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2010, 01:44:44 PM »

So with a decal date instead of a stamp this was produced where? Kalamazoo? Nashville?
I'd have to check the Stamp on mine later but I seem to recall it being a '77 from Kalamazoo.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2010, 02:01:23 PM »
 I know that the '76 Thunderbirds had the decal and by '79 they had changed to a stamped serial, when that change took place I am not to sure.