Author Topic: Marshall bass amps  (Read 5999 times)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Marshall bass amps
« on: December 19, 2009, 01:15:27 PM »

Hey All,

I'm thinking about a second slightly smaller rig for some of our shows where my 750 watts and 8x10 GK rig is a bit much. I still want a separate head/speaker set up and plenty of umph to compete with our loud drummer and the fact that I may not go out a PA. Another real concern is power, or rather often the lack of it - many times at shows I've had to scramble to find a 20amp circuit to power up the GK ( it really wants that much!) without causing a local brownout. And.............and while I really like my GK I want to have something different.
 So I've been looking at what Marshall currently offers, specifically the MB450 head and an MBC410 which will give me 300 watts and a single cab, I like the thought of only moving one cab tho I'll likely make a dolly for it as they don't come with wheels.
Anybody here use one of these? or have an opinion pro and con?

I would also seriously consider an older Marshall head/cab like what Scott GOT59 is using but my efforts at research to this end are a bit frustrating due to my own lack of knowledge and again any thoughts from owners or former users are encouraged.

Vielen Danke,

Ze Fraulein  ;)

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Iome

• Born to rock..forced to work
    • View Profile
Re: Marshall bass amps
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 03:13:43 PM »
I use an old Marshall JMP Superbass head with it's 4x12 Greenback driver cab, i love it. when you crank it up you get a nice tube overdrive, it's not for people who loves sparkling clear and defined sound. It's pretty loud too, the drummer can't cover you. Before i used the JMC Superbass with the 400w 4x12 cab, very good too, a bit clearer and very LOUD! I've never played GK so i can't do a comparison, but i don't think they have much to share soundwise. You may want to consider the actual VBA amplification from Marshall, should be very nice and powerfull.
tschüß

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 07:48:49 AM »
Mark one of my favorite rigs was a Late 79's JMP 100w Bass with a early 70's Marshall baffled 2x12 and a Hiwatt 2x15. Be warned the sound will be dirty and edgy compared to the GK which funnily enough I sold my 100w Marshall in '82 to get a GK 800RB because I was taking so much crap from sound men for my dirty tone, lack of line out miking cabs etc. Not that the GK wasn't a very capable piece of gear but I sold it inside of three months and went out and bought my Marshall Major. If you go the vintage head route just make sure you have a good DI ( like Radial Bones) Carry your own mike for your cab (if you don't you get lame-O excuses like I don't have any mikes left from the sound man) You can have a Marshall modded to have a direct line out, my Hiwatt DR201 has been modded like this and I have to say it works fantastic all that overdriven sound pumped right to the mains ! As for vintage cabs I love  the look and the sound but I replace all original drives, a 30-40 year old bass driver just can't carry the load imho. I go through a number of drivers in a year so I load my cabs with Eminence and they  work great, I also Like Peavey Black Widows. Celestions for bass to me sound AWEFULL and need to be replaced asap !. I think The Tbird /Marshall combination will rock! I say go for it !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 09:19:45 AM »
I have been curious about the new bass head and cabs that I've seen from Marshall. I'd like to hear some thoughts on that as well. The pricing isn't bad imo. I think the head Mark is reffering to is a SS with tube preamp?

Here is a link:

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-MAR-MB450H-LIST
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 09:33:06 AM »
That might be worth a try, lot cheaper than the vintage route ! I'd be interested in checking one out !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

angrymatt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 12:58:12 PM »
I have one of the 30 watt MB combos for plonking around in the living room.  The "modern" channel tries to do the super clean sparkly tone, but comes up just a little short I think.  The vintage channel is glorious, I frequently wish I could get that sound out of my big boy rig.

I've considered getting the MB 450 to do that.  Mark, if you or anyone else gets one, I would love to hear an honest review of the beast.
angrymatt, the lurk
'13 NR Thunder "Blue" Bird | '09 BaCHBird | '07 Zebrabird | '06 Tobias Growler | '03 Spector Rebop 5 | '87 Heritage

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 03:04:07 PM »

I was thinking that an MB450 and the matching 4x10cab would be a nice combo for about 1k. The vintage route sounds like big $$$ but I'm not ruling it out, the prices on those heads on ebay is sobering tho...........
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 07:21:14 AM »
Mark,  The prices on the 100w Bass heads these days will certainly make you pause. They are a one trick pony, If you like that Geezer Butler and Roger Glover grind you will be in heaven. Also with a Tbird they ape JAE very well. You do need a bit of stage volume to get tone out of them though, but you said you have to keep up with a hard hitting drummer so maybe it will work for you. I like the look of the new Marshall MB450, they have all the modern amenities like a line out, that will make your life so much easier. down the road I just might pick one up. If you get one I will be anxious for a report !

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 07:58:14 AM »
Music 123 has a opened one for $439........................ wow  :o 450w for $439 sounds like a deal ! I like the channel blend to.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 12:13:15 PM »

Yeah that's a good price on one, I *think* you 300 get watts when using one cab, 450 when you have 2 - I *think*.
The reviews I've read on M.F. by owners are pretty good on the amp, the only downside I've noted on the cab is that it's heavy (that's ok) and has no wheels - plus it's made from MDF and attaching castors directly isn't a good idea, so I'd have to build a dolly for it.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 12:16:33 PM »
I wondered about the cabs, to bad they are not birch ply :sad: You got the wattage thing right. Plenty powerfull.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 01:51:14 PM »
My rather messy 1968 50w "smallbox" (to be found in the amp section, somewhere) is frighteningly loud through a 120w Marshall cab (probably nowhere near you GK, though)...

I was told at the "Plexi" that if I spent a couple of hundred USD she'd be potentially worth upwards of 3K... cost me about £150, with a damaged Shergold bass, back in '82.

Never gigged with her as she is noisey and I've never got round to refurbing...

Your sound is pretty bright so modern Marshall's may suit, but like everything, you need to find the right "mix" of cab and amp...

I haven't played through anything really loud in over 25 years, so...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 09:05:55 AM »
What about Avatar?  The 4 - 10 is rated at 1000W, has neo speakers, made out of 13 ply baltic birch ply, weighs in at 65 lbs and is just under $500 shipped.  The 2 -12 is a little cheaper and weighs 55 lbs. 

What about Markbass?  They sound pretty good and they're light!  The Littlemark II is rated at 450 watss into 4 ohms and weighs about 7 lbs.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2009, 05:20:33 PM »
What about Markbass?  They sound pretty good and they're light!  The Littlemark II is rated at 450 watss into 4 ohms and weighs about 7 lbs.

...and may or may not continue to function after its warranty expires with 450 very 'quiet' watts.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2009, 07:08:33 PM »
I realize a lot of folks jumped on the Markbass bandwagon, not I. Talk about being underwhelmed.