Author Topic: Fenderbird by BaCH  (Read 32739 times)

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Re: Fenderbird by BaCH
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2009, 02:32:47 PM »
Yeah, it's a perfectly good bass as it comes out of the box.  The only thing I've done to mine was change knobs, and put an old T-bird pickup in it.  That was even a tough decision.  The Arctec may be the best $30 pickup around.  The Gibson adds warmth and depth, but it's not as drastic a change as I'd have expected.  The Arctec does just fine on its own.  I've been swapping the BaCHBird and the Scroll on the last few gigs I've done, and it stands up with the best of them.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Hornisse

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2009, 02:44:40 PM »
They are great basses.  I'm in the process of putting vintage style tuners and new pots, knobs and strings.  I also have a Gibson truss rod cover for it.  I thought about doing the mod to the pickup and put the chrome cover over it but I'm just going to leave it as is.  I may use a push/pull volume pot for the double/single coil option. 

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2009, 03:29:53 PM »
I don't have a real NR to compare, but I have an almost embarrassing collection of NR photos to obsess over  ;D.  BaCH really got the structure of that bass down to the details (only some minor differences like the control cavity shape, and think someone mentioned the neck angle is slightly different).  The bridge assembly is almost a dead-ringer too.  Given that the other parts can all be sourced as NOS stuff or reproductions (the tailpieces, tuners, accurate size/shape pickguards, knobs, pickups, etc...) its a chance to get an original NR look, feel, and (roughly) the sound without huge collector premiums.

Here was mine before I tore it down for refin:

It feels and sounds all Tbird.  Its got that thin body and neck, and it really stands its ground well compared to the Elitist that I used to have, and also my Bicentennial.  The neck is beautiful.  There were no dead spots anywhere, strings were even decent (I think D'Addarios?), and the setup out of the box was actually very nice - with med/low action, no buzzing anywhere, frets were dressed well.  It obvious someone cared enough to finish it up.  That Silverburst Epi that I had here briefly cost roughly the same price had IMO absolutely no attention paid to final setup, and it required a good deal of tweaking to get it even playable.  It just shows that BaCH seems to care enough about their brand image to present their products well, and this was a nice surprise given that cost is down there in that entry-level range.  I wouldn't expect prices to stay there if they keep cranking out quality products and build a good reputation.

Does anyone here have one of the BaCH maho 51 Ps?  I remember when those hit the streets, people seemed to speak favorably of them too.  I have no doubt that these Fenderbirds would be a great value.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2009, 04:02:08 PM »
I've been swapping the BaCHBird and the Scroll on the last few gigs I've done, and it stands up with the best of them.

A $300 bass and a +$3000 bass. And the little bird actually stands its own. I know it's apples and oranges but that should say something right there!

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2009, 12:52:55 PM »
I'm interested: PM sent as well!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2009, 10:42:58 AM »
Does anyone here have one of the BaCH maho 51 Ps?  I remember when those hit the streets, people seemed to speak favorably of them too.  
Yep I have one of those. When I first played one of those and I was surpised by the good quality.
That's where it got started three years ago...

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2009, 05:16:59 AM »
Is it just me or is everyone else excited about this BaCH Fenderbird?
Clocks.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2009, 08:58:12 AM »
I would be excited, I just can't afford anything extra right now.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2009, 09:01:19 AM »

Actually I'm pretty excited!
 ;D

I *need* another bass  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Basshappi

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2009, 09:22:03 AM »
I'd be interested if they were lefty. Someone on Leftybass.com was trying to get the minimum number of committments needed to get a run of the NR T-birds made, but nothing has come of it. :(
Nothing is what it seems but everthing is exactly what it is.

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2009, 09:40:59 AM »
Actually I'm pretty excited!
 ;D
I *need* another bass  ;)

We all need another Thunderbird.  ;D

I'd be interested if they were lefty. Someone on Leftybass.com was trying to get the minimum number of committments needed to get a run of the NR T-birds made, but nothing has come of it. :(

They are working on it here, too.  http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=2516.0
Clocks.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2009, 09:50:01 AM »
Gentlemen,

I've (almost) come to an agreement with BaCH on the price.

The price of the bass itself we've agreed upon.
But now we have to settle for a shipping price.

Stay tuned!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2009, 01:52:47 PM »
Hell I can make my own and I'm excited ! I'll buy one to  ;D
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2009, 01:56:03 PM »
Once I know the price, I'll start negotiating with SWMBO...  :o
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2009, 03:38:23 PM »
Okay so BaCH and I have got an agreement on the price.

Price of the Fenderbird built by BaCH:
294 Euro. (BTW/VAT not included)
I'm not sure how it works with taxes if I sell stuff outside the EU.
In The Netherlands we have to add 19%. So for the Dutch it'll cost 349.86 Euro

Shipping cost depends where I need to send it to.

Fenderbird after the famous John Entwistle bass.

Body of mahogany. Slab body, so without raised center block like Thunderbird. Upper horn a little bigger and further to the front than Thunderbird. Color orange/red.
Precision type neck. Between A and B neck. Bolt on.
Two Artec humbuckers. With chromed plastic casing. (just like the pickup in the BaCHbird)
Black pickguard. 3 ply (B-W-B)
Two volume pots. One Tone pot.
BaCH TH1 bridge with separate tailpiece. Like BaCHbird.

I'm still waiting on an answer from BaCH when they'll start the production.
When I know that, I will need an advance payment from those who want to order a Fenderbird.