Author Topic: Hipshot Supertone 2 point replacement bridges  (Read 11920 times)

hollowbody

• Been working in the Kremlin with a two headed dog.
    • View Profile
Hipshot Supertone 2 point replacement bridges
« on: April 23, 2009, 05:12:30 PM »
I saw a listing on eBay selling them and I can't find anything on the Hipshot website.  I would assume that they're made for the later 2 pointer?

eb2

• View Profile
Re: Hipshot Supertone 2 point replacement bridges
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 07:02:41 PM »
I checked it out, and it looks like a replacement for the Evertilt.  It might be a replacement for the earlier type if it sits on a slant and has enough saddle travel.  I shot the guy at Hipshot an email to confirm what it is. Looks like a nice bridge.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 07:36:34 PM »
I remember reading over a year ago that they were working on one but it was (allegedly) for the earlier bar bridges and would also be usable on an EB-2 or other archtops. Nothing official, it was second hand from someone who supposedly had talked to them.

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 02:04:18 PM »
From the listing:

Hipshot Sez:

"Breathe new life into your Gibson bass with the new completely redesigned Hipshot SuperTone Bass Bridge. A direct replacement unit for your 1967-1973 Gibson 2 point bass bridge that uses your existing hole pattern. Machined out of solid aircraft quantity aluminum, the Hipshot SuperTone features complete adjustability that is easy to use: precise intonation, independent string height, and even side- to- side string spacing adjustment. Most important of all, TONE, PUNCH and SUSTAIN that will knock your socks off! Unleash the tone that is trapped in your bass with the new Hipshot Supertone Bass Bridge! "

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 02:30:10 PM »
Well, there's our answer. Thanks, Daniel.

hollowbody

• Been working in the Kremlin with a two headed dog.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 04:26:37 PM »
I don't know how I could have missed that part.  I picked up my new glasses today so it must have been my old prescription...  ;)

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 04:37:21 PM »
I would have noticed it if you had put up the link:)

Doesn't look like it's suitable for arched tops.

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 05:36:22 PM »
oooooh i need one for my SB-450.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 06:48:45 PM »
I don't know how I could have missed that part.  I picked up my new glasses today so it must have been my old prescription...  ;)

I e-mailed Hipshot today, and got a response back in relatively short order:

>>Thank you for your question about our new Two Bridges.
  You are in luck with the years that you have stated. It is for the 1967-1973 years and should be a direct replacement for your bass. I own a 1969 EB0 and it has been a blessing as the silk winding had always been a problem. We have contacted HD music to ask if they would include the years on their auction.
  Hope this helps, let us know if there are any other questions.<<

It's not your eyes, they updated the listing - you may rest easy... for now ;D
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 01:56:03 PM »
I emailed David at Hipshot, but never heard back.  But I suspect several of us got through.

I would imagine that would work on the EB2 as well - if the bolts go down to the stud inserts, you would need to maybe lift them with a pair of washers by just a tad at most.  The original had to clear the mute, which I would guess this doesn't take into account.

A bit of a problem I can see is that there are a lot more earlier than later bridge style basses, no?

MARICOPAA

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 09:12:09 PM »
I put one of these on a 1964 Epiphone Rivoli. It works but looks pretty uncomfortably funny...sits at an odd angle because the studs on a pre 67 Gibson or Epiphone are not symmetrical. The bridge is flat so you have to be careful how hard you screw down the stud screws on an arch topped EB-2 or Rivoli.

I am trying to get Dave @ Hipshot to make a "Vintage" model with offset holes so one of these will sit perpendicular on any of our older Gibson or Epiphone basses. I'm sending him a bass per his request to use as a guinea pig ;-) Also trying to get the edges rounded for hand comfort...the stock bridge is fairly sharp edged.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2009, 11:34:22 PM »
Hey Chris, where ya been hiding?

That really doesn't look too bad on your Rivoli, although I do hope you can get Dave B. to do a proper version.

I sure enjoyed your video.  :)

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2009, 08:42:26 AM »
I think it's cool that guys we've hung out with at these forums are plugged in enough to make a difference in product development that helps us all. On a scale that's large or small, it great to see it happening.

And that's a cool video. You guys rock!

MARICOPAA

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2009, 11:48:47 AM »
Thanks for the cudos Dave. I've been working my tail off with a Live album by The RaveUps. We are going to affectionately call it..."HAVING A YARDBIRD WITH THE RAVEUPS". As you know it is a twist on my favorite Yardbirds album (and the one we took our name from) Having a Raveup with the Yardbirds'. While we are definitely not a look-alike band by any stretch (it's ALL about the music...period!).

Nothing but 'choked' 1964 Rivoli through a Versatone bass amp played with a pick. We decided to do a twist on the album cover too (see below ;-). It's just a test edit pic of the one we will use...no graphics yet but imagine a similar font and colors to the original. if you know the original album cover you should get a kick out of this test pic. This is as close as The RaveUps will ever come to the look-alike aspect of out tribute to The Yardbirds. This cover is definitely a tongue-in-cheek effort but I thought some of you would appreciate.

That and doing a bunch of sessions lately along with my teaching schedule and playing rhythm guitar in a new instrumental band...surf stuff but many movie themes and even some TV shows. You have not lived until you have played Bonanza or Hawaii Five-O correctly ;-)) Lastly but firstly, all my time has been taken up moving! Have you ever had to organize and move 20+ years of stuff... unbelievable the amount of stuff I accumulate and then to sort/organize it, pack it all and move it. Then there is unpacking and doing everything in reverse while figuring what to throw away (I'm terrible at that!).

PS...the last chord to the James Bond Theme is...EmM7add9...whew! (Yep...E minor major 7 add 9)

PSS...I should be hearing from Hipshot this week and get this 'Vintage' version (1966 and earlier?) of their Two-Point up and on the boards.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 02:55:44 PM by MARICOPAA »

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2009, 08:40:37 PM »
That would be very nice.

How about a Starfire bridge?