Author Topic: Looks like a.... Fenderbird project!  (Read 6218 times)

PWV

• View Profile
Looks like a.... Fenderbird project!
« on: February 21, 2008, 09:05:27 AM »
I finally got up to Mike Lull's shop Tuesday (we teachers are off this week! ) with the Bicentennial.   

See: http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=91.0

Oh my - imagine going to the doctor expecting a physical, maybe hearing you need to lose some weight, exercise more, etc.  But then the doctor starts telling you your limbs are about to fall off, you've got 14 types of cancer, decapitation is the only cure.  I thought this baby needed a little restore, but in Mike's words I got "screwed" and picked up a bass that had been "obliterated."   (Obliterated - that's a bad word I think). 

Apparently the bass had been dropped, or thrown, or run-over - hell, I didn't see this through the refin but the hairline cracks in the finish tell a story.  It appears the headstock had snapped off, the neck was broken in 2-3 places, the input jack was smashed in (you can see that in the pics), body was probably cracked.  Hence the reason for the re-fin after Dr. Frankenstein did his work in the early 80's.  I suppose it could have been run over by a truck and that would explain the missing hardshell that the seller claimed was "stolen."  (Yes, I did wonder why someone would steal a case and leave the bass....)

Now after the shock and the realization that my first attempt at the Vintage TB market makes me feel like a complete idiot, I consulted the Fraulein, Bass NW, another bassist in Nashville - the picture became clearer.  I paid too much for a parts bass.  I could part out the chrome, pickguard, etc, and be out of some dough.  OR *drum roll please* I could take it back to Mike and begin a Fenderbird with Maple neck.  For those of you that haven't seen Mike's work he's pretty amazing - he could make the Bride of Frankenstein look like Jessica Alba with his skills.  (Don't know if she'd get plekked though).

The good news is the chrome hardware and tuners are in good shape.  And I like Maple necks.  I tried the Fenderbird up at Bass NW yesterday http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=175.0- it doesn't have the 3-point bridge on it and the neck pocket looks like you could store your car keys in there, but it played pretty well.  I'm thinking that Mike + TB body/parts = a plekked neck Fenderbird.    I'll try to make the best of this and still have a player even though I'll be selling other stuff to cover my nut.  Oh yeah, this bass definitely needs a new nut too.

Any suggestions on a new color?  In my initial state of delirium, a vision came to me of playing off the Bicentennial theme and painting it ala Buck Owens Bicent. Acoustic... campy huh?  But at least I could still get gigs on the 4th of July and at the local VFW. 

« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 09:10:38 AM by PWV »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Puzzled ...
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 09:23:12 AM »
"I thought this baby needed a little restore, but in Mike's words I got "screwed" and picked up a bass that had been "obliterated."   (Obliterated - that's a bad word I think). 

Apparently the bass had been dropped, or thrown, or run-over - hell, I didn't see this through the refin but the hairline cracks in the finish tell a story.  It appears the headstock had snapped off, the neck was broken in 2-3 places, the input jack was smashed in (you can see that in the pics), body was probably cracked.  Hence the reason for the re-fin after Dr. Frankenstein did his work in the early 80's.  I suppose it could have been run over by a truck and that would explain the missing hardshell that the seller claimed was "stolen." "

I'm confused now. The bass is in a playable state now, right? You said "it sounds great" in your original thread. All that stuff has been repaired and painted over. So why do you want a new neck now?

And its not the first TBird that has broken off at the body wing/center block connection. Nor is that an incurable defect. Same goes for the indented input jack, that comes with life on the road.

I would get this bass set up and maybe a fret job. Leave it finned as is, it certainly has a story to tell. Tearing off a functioning neck thru maho neck to implant a bolt-on Fender neck ... why I cry?!!!  :'( :'( :'(

Uwe
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 09:29:26 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

PWV

• View Profile
Re: Looks like a.... Fenderbird project!
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 09:44:01 AM »
I'm confused now. The bass is in a playable state now, right? You said "it sounds great" in your original thread. All that stuff has been repaired and painted over. So why do you want a new neck now?

Confused describes how I felt a couple of days ago.  The bass is playable albeit with high action. And the chrome pup's do sound great.  But a neck that can't be adjusted just doesn't seem right to me.  I suppose I could try to sell it and recoup some loss, but....plekked maple neck!!!   *sigh* Maybe I need a couple more days....

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 09:51:27 AM »
Maybe get a second opinion?

PWV

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 09:58:49 AM »
I would get this bass set up and maybe a fret job.

I don't think it can get set up or frets redone - the neck apparently is not stable enough since its been glued back together, that explains the broken truss rod in the middle (which I wish I would've paid more attention to)... and honestly, if Mike says he can't set it up I'm not sure anyone can.  Also, I wish I would have taken off the truss rod cover and discovered the different drill pattern on the headstock at the time of sale. 

I've got a call into Gibson's Repair/restore shop and I'll see what they have to say...

Yes, this bass has a story to tell that's for sure, Uwe!!!  (That guy that bought me in '08 - what a suckah!!  bwahahaha!!!    :-\

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 10:09:49 AM »
If the neck is that bad, I would ask Michael Dolan he did some work for Scott (Godofthunder), built him a new mahogany neck.

Gibson would charge an arm & leg.

Likewise if the body is badly cracked, maybe a Fenderbird is not such a bad idea. If you have access to a band saw, buy a plank of wood trace the old bird body, cut it out. Then get a luthier to rout new cavities & neck pocket to a bolt on neck of you're choosing

Dolan would probably build it for you for around $1000, painted & all with a bolt on off the shelf neck.

or buy a mighty mite neck - http://www.victorlitz.com/shop/category.asp?catid=126

PWV

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 10:13:54 AM »
Thanks for the info BD - I figured Gibson would charge a hefty fee, and I do need to call Dr. Dolan too.

Mr. Lull would charge about a grand as well.   I was thinking of a local components manufacturer re: the neck (although I'm not committing to anything at this point) :

http://www.usacustomguitars.com/  They're doing an awful lot of global shipping these days - I've watched their business grow tenfold in the last decade. 

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 10:16:20 AM »
Warmoth bodies could work but you need to get one unrouted, they are pricey!

My second body I cut out cost me $65 for the wood, $200 to rout & assemble and $200 to paint.

A Warmoth would cost $200 just for the body unrouted.

I was not hard to cut the body out. You just need to find a blank big enough. The lumber store even planed it down for free to what ever thickness I wanted (1 5/8")
The place I went to-
http://www.owlhardwood.com/

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 10:17:35 AM »
What about getting a Bach Bird and transplanting the guts?

That would be the cheapest way and you would end up with a more authentic Bird than the standard Bach

PWV

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 10:22:43 AM »
What about getting a Bach Bird and transplanting the guts?

That would be the cheapest way and you would end up with a more authentic Bird than the standard Bach

I'm a bit late on the Bach Bird info.  I'll search for the thread.... but when this is all said and done (what I was thinking of yesterday anyway) the only original thing missing would be the neck and headstock... oh, and the glue - but that's not original. 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 10:28:23 AM by PWV »

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 10:26:16 AM »
Here-

http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=19.0

I'm not sure if it's too late?

I would Email Rob if you are interseted.

The price can't be beat.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 10:27:12 AM »
The bass is playable albeit with high action. And the chrome pup's do sound great.  But a neck that can't be adjusted just doesn't seem right to me.

Something that might help you there is experimenting with a set of low tension strings, or maybe a lighter gauge to reduce tension, and let the neck relief bow back a bit- lowering the action for you.  Of course, I'm making an assumption about the strings that are on there now.

Bicentennial sounds nice with flats.  I think that is what Chris uses on his?  (althogh he hides it on his videos by posing with Ricenbackers :) ).

I know it doesn't help the bad feelings, but it might help you get it to a state where you can leave it be.  The reparis have held this long, and I still think it looks killer in its current state w/ that ice blue fin.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 10:33:34 AM »

You know Dave,  If you just can't deal.........I'd probably buy it. I have no qualms about making an F'Bird out of it. 
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008, 11:02:45 AM »
I didn't know the truss rod was broken. That changes my assessment.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008, 12:18:14 PM »
Too bad. If you decide to fix it, Lull's reputation is top notch. But you already know that. No need to look elsewhere, especially since he's local to you