Author Topic: Looks like a.... Fenderbird project!  (Read 6216 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Looks like a.... Fenderbird project!
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2008, 05:21:18 PM »
 Almost anything is possible. Michael Dolan is making a new neck for my shared of a NR body her is a picture he sent me a few weeks ago In fact today he emailed me and said the bass is already to go ! no pic though. How is the truss rod not functional ? Is the nut broken off ? If thats the case there is a fix.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

PWV

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2008, 05:37:02 PM »
How is the truss rod not functional ? Is the nut broken off ? If thats the case there is a fix.

The TR nut is worn out, but there are spares in the case.  Because the neck is so glued together, no one wants to turn it for fearing of shattering an already unstable neck.  Mike felt that in the initial break (2-3 times on the neck) that the TR was broken with it and there she lay...like a dead soldier.  Like a deer thats been shot and hunted down... like a satelite shot from the sky..... like a Nascar driver that hit the wall.... like *insert favorite "dead" metaphor here*...... Hey, I'm trying to maintain a sense a humor about the whole thing.  Its not like a grand piano that's been dropped from a 10-story building....

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2008, 11:14:00 PM »
In other words, you're trying to tell us that it's kicked the bucket, shuffled off its mortal coil, rung down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2008, 03:42:21 AM »
You're not gonna find out whether that trussrod works or not without trying to turn it. Just loosen it first to see whether that has any impact and then retighten it. I find it kind of hard to imagine that a glued neck, however badly done, will be pulled apart by a trussrod. Unless it's an old Ric of course.  ;D

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2008, 04:17:14 AM »
*insert favorite "dead" metaphor here*.

how about this one?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2008, 04:30:03 AM »
"Pushing up the daisies"  ;D
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2008, 05:49:25 AM »
Project bassses are far more rewarding then just getting an off the shelf player, in my opinion.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2008, 10:20:46 AM »
 Not to fear too much Gentleman, Dave and I spoke on the phone last before I went out dancing. I've counseled him into the idea of making an F'Bird out of it......Or at the very worst selling it to me so I can  :D
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 10:27:45 AM by TBird1958 »
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2008, 10:26:20 AM »
If the neck really is that bad, a Fenderbird would be the logical solution.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2008, 10:29:56 AM »

Yes, it is........I think he's just a little traumatized right now. But really he should just get on with it.
An F'Bird is one of the few things I'm really GASSING for..........
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

PWV

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2008, 10:59:32 AM »
Yes, it is........I think he's just a little traumatized right now. But really he should just get on with it.
An F'Bird is one of the few things I'm really GASSING for..........

Yes!  I'm all better now...love that Monty Python Dead Parrot sketch btw - "He's not dead - he's just resting."   ;D

Proceeding with *insert trumpet blare* THE THUNDERLULL!!!  (which will be cooler than any Fenderbird/Thunderbird/GaudyBudgieBird - heh.  Women will love me.  Men will fear me.  Babies will be named after  :-X....ok, I'm back now).

And thanks for rapping Mark - it was actually good to talk to another bass player for awhile. 

As I was telling Mark last night, I may be going through a "band transition" - not my idea, lead singer needs 24/7 commitment so I got bumped from a couple of dates.  I'm more about booking dates and watching the calendar fill up though as I have my plate full teaching high school music (think tour - ugh) and I have a great Church job (think Xmas and Easter).   I felt much better after the gig last night.  I pretty much nailed the sets, got an offer to join another band at the door, another guitarist came up on stage and started calling me "The Bootsy of Tacoma".... heh.   Sometimes its like what that Blues Guy Bleeding Gums Murphy told Lisa:  The blues aren't about making YOURSELF feel better Lisa.  Its about making OTHER people feel BAD!"  *Take that Lead Singer!*

The sun will rise again!

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2008, 11:05:54 AM »
Churches have some kick ass bands. Ours features bands from time to time, although one time we had a trumpet soloist with tim ear - PAINFUL!!!

Church band bass players usually get high in the mix as no one wants too loud or distorted guitars.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2008, 11:53:29 AM »

""The Bootsy of Tacoma"

Awwww........Dave Tacoma!!!?????

PWV

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2008, 12:13:47 PM »
""The Bootsy of Tacoma"

Awwww........Dave Tacoma!!!?????

Maybe you can help me with my costume, Mark! 

And the bar's set pretty low for a Bootsy impersonator in Tacoma.  "The bar's pretty low..."  Hell, all the bars are low in Tacoma!   :D

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2008, 12:18:11 PM »

" Tacoma........insertion point for Washington state's enema!  :-*