Author Topic: Another name...?  (Read 1891 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Another name...?
« on: March 24, 2009, 03:45:59 PM »
Thought I'd get in before anyone comments...

Well, whilst "Doug the Piranha Fyghter" is undergoing his identity chrisis, or Phoenix like rebirth, to "Explore" brave news runs, seek out new chords, to boldly play like no bass player... err, sorry, wandered a bit there...

My name change was a temporary expression of St Pat' and I thought it was time to settle into my new shoes with something with a little more meaning to me...

Mark's suits him, as it expresses the love of her life but I don't wish to pre-suppose what the '58 represents, she looks far too young to be a child of the fifties, can't be that...  :-X

Mine kinda steals the idea and transposes to suit...
" T' " a Yorkshire "The" - anyone know the "Four Yorkshiremen" sketch... not my origins, part of the roots of my warped state of mind...
"BaRD" - a double entendré - firstly, my family has a reputation for producing "bards", story tellers, someone who passes on the information from generation to generation, who holds the family memories... secondly, a play on Mark's as I play an RD...
" '59 " - just tried looking up the price of "single malt's" to match my vintage and taste - I could buy a T'bird, well at least a good Epi... Red's are nearly as bad (a good year for Bordeaux) a price; I'll settle for a nice Merlot, vegetarian, of course...

I think I'll stick with this... at least for this week...

The stories we all could tell...  ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: Another name...?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 03:55:05 PM »

T = Tranny..................
Bird = Thunderbird
1958 = The year I was born.................

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 04:33:08 PM »
Ha ha Mark, I thought the T was just for tbird! I should have known.  ;D

And while I'm not from Manchester, I did live there for a while (for the record, I preferred Eccles and Stockport to Salford in almost every way)... My latest name comes from the realization I had a couple years back that I was then where my dad was when I first got to know him. He's gone now, so that makes me Old Man Carlston to my two boys. To them, I'm OLD!

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 04:42:57 PM »

I miss 69Vette tho!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 04:44:59 PM »
T = Tranny..................

Manual or automatic?

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 04:56:01 PM »
Manual or automatic?

I don't know but I'll bet it has a quick-change rear.
 ;D
What???
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 05:32:12 PM »
George, don't ever let those from "God's Orn Kuuntré" hear you mention Cheshire or (even worse) Lancashire - what brought you to t' oop nooorth...? (in the finest "I remember when arr were a lad..." tradition, of course...)

69Vette - I presume that is what you used to run "under" at some point in the past, Mark...? and believe it or no, the "T for Tranny" never even entered my head, so much for lateral thinking...  ;)
... Surely you could never be that old, sis...  :o :o :o ("...and stop calling me Shirley" - your groan entered here please)

Dave and Lowend - please let that thread-line rest, or Mark will be asking us to check the level on her dipstick, or where should she put it...? you know how girls are when it comes to automobiles...  :o
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

nofi

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 06:18:48 PM »
how about some originalty there senor t'bard. this is akin to plagiarism. nes pa?

« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 06:30:23 PM by nofi »

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 06:31:33 PM »
I miss 69Vette tho!

I miss it too, brotha! I need to find a picture. One of my favorite cars.

Bard, that was my nick here before I got old. And Lancashire... I spent 3 months in Blackburn too and for the two years I was in England, that was the only area where I had to really concentrate to be able to understand what the heck anyone was saying! I was over there as a Mormon missionary (though I managed to avoid a bike the whole time I was there  ;D). I've loved the north ever since and still consider England my second home.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 06:37:49 PM »
I don't know but I'll bet it has a quick-change rear.
 ;D
What???

;D I was going to say it was one of those fancy either/or switch shifter things! ;) :P

Lightyear

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 06:43:09 PM »
I miss it too, brotha! I need to find a picture. One of my favorite cars.

Bard, that was my nick here before I got old. And Lancashire... I spent 3 months in Blackburn too and for the two years I was in England, that was the only area where I had to really concentrate to be able to understand what the heck anyone was saying! I was over there as a Mormon missionary (though I managed to avoid a bike the whole time I was there  ;D). I've loved the north ever since and still consider England my second home.

Man you lucked out on your mission!  I work with a guy that had one son sent to the Yukon for his mission - poor kid probably got snow shoes instead of a bike.  His other son went to Guatemala and came back with some wicked nasty/scary parasites.  My cowoker did his in remote Alaska.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 07:02:07 PM »
Nofi - just trying to remain within my green credentials, you know, re-cycling stuff, after all , music is a language with jsut seven notes and an infinite amount of recycling...

... and to cop a lyric from Mr Young, "Here I sit with this borrowed name, too wasted to write my own..."

Now George, that will be why you are settled in Utah... ended your wicked ways and double ententrés(69Vette, indeed...), though the "pup" thang almost made me skip a paragraph...  :o
I did almost all of my intruder alarm training in oop nooorth in Blackburn...
We have a Mormon meeting house in my fathers home village ways up in the Western Isles of Scotland (a dark and forbidding land filled with aging Norsemen called MacLeod and Pagans and "White Settlers" (the local description for "Non Island Folk" trying to show my brethern the errors of our ways), and have had for over 20 years if I remember rightly the house is still there, though I believe the occupants were eaten at Up-Hellyar one time or other...
Gotta admit that I would prefer it if England was my second home (Jackie, the better half/stabilising rock in my life, is from KY but has been over here most of her life) - life over here has changed so much in such a short time - I no longer can think of London as "My Home Town" - I go to so many places and I feel like the "foreigner", and it can be that I'm made to feel it too, which is sad...

Buzz, you ain't been to Blackburn at night - a REALLY scary place...

What is it with you Americans  - here's me at 0200 GMT and your all just coming on line - this is the third time I have tried to post this...!

Ah well, to sleep perchance to dream (of chrome...)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 07:07:39 PM by T' BaRD '59 »

Lightyear

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 07:12:22 PM »
Ken, from what I heard of how the kid lived for two years in Guatemala Blackburn would have been heaven - the kid that got sent up north kept calling home asking for more warm clothes - IN SUMMER! :)

GMT!  That's some kind of newworldorder metrical time keeping thing idn't? ;D ;D

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2009, 07:25:14 PM »
Man you lucked out on your mission! 

All I had to suffer was my appendix leaking all over my insides (I was sick for about a year after that). Luckily, the guy in charge of the missionaries in my area was new and sent me to a Bupa hospital (private insurance), where my treatment was excellent (as was my nurse, Vicki, who took her status as 'naughty English nurse' almost too seriously)! The scar from my appendectomy is pretty much invisible, and at its worst was only a thin, light purple 2 inch line. One of the other guys in my group went the NHS route and while I must stress that he recovered well, they must have splayed him like a trout from the scar he was left with.

I'll tell you though, most former missionaries (probably of other faiths as well) come home with some great stories they end up repeating constantly for the rest of their lives. Not quite the same kind as their college age peers at home, but varied nonetheless! ;D

Edit to add: And yes, I really did luck out. Picture a 19 year old Beatle freak finding out he's being assigned to Liverpool not long after arriving in England. Four months of scouser heaven, that was! And everywhere else was great too, even when the places I lived and worked in were scary. As missionaries, you're usually as far removed from pop culture as humanly possible, but in England that just wasn't going to happen. We had tea appointments (people feeding us dinner) every Thursday no matter what area I was in. Top of the Pops would just 'happen' to be on every week. Up until that time I'd never known older adults to be into pop music, so it was quite a shock to meet 40-50 year old guys (in 1984) who were into everything from the Beatles to Deep Purple and Iron Maiden. England was the PERFECT mission for me!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 07:34:41 PM by OldManC »

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2009, 07:40:20 PM »
life over here has changed so much in such a short time - I no longer can think of London as "My Home Town" - I go to so many places and I feel like the "foreigner", and it can be that I'm made to feel it too, which is sad...

The last few times I was over I was shocked at just how different things had become since I lived there. I've seen a lot of changes here in a few of the places I've lived, but nothing like what I saw in England. I hear you there, Ken...