Author Topic: A public apology.  (Read 3072 times)

Blazer

A public apology.
« on: March 17, 2009, 01:39:03 PM »
Okay you guys, I have gotten a mail by Uwe stating that there have been complaints about some posting I made in reply to several threads.

Thing is that it's difficult to express words when typing them down, you have to be very to the point, you can't use pitch or a questioning tone like you would when during a normal spoken conversation. Like for example during my thread about Paul McCartney's bass lesson where I figured that Macca wasn't using his famous Hofner because the taped on set list was gone. When Ilan corrected me I went "Oh really, I guess that he came back on his word" which was meant as to tell him that I didn't know about that and since Ilan held the instrument in question I knew he was right. As a token of good will I posted two links to two very respectable sites about Macca's 63 Hofner where the most recently happened removal of the set list wasn't mentioned because of both sides not being updated for a while. I then stated that one of the sites said that Macca's bass probably received a re-finish since the color became darker over a short period of time Ilan actually supported the idea after reading the thing himself and recalling that when he held the bass it showed traces of a refinish.
Unfortunately Dave saw my reply to Ilan's post as an attempt to correct him and to school him about things I have no knowledge about since I didn't see and never held the actual bass in my hands when Ilan in fact has, and that I had the nerve to even include links to prove Ilan wrong. I'm sorry Dave if you saw it that way but it was NEVER my intention to come across a wise guy here.

The Dick Dale thing is another one. I was paraphrasing what I learned from reading and seeing, over the years, Dick Dale's disease was mentioned frequently on shows about early Rock N Roll and in interview with people who worked with Dick over the years. The Jimi hendrix dedication of "Third stone from the sun" also was one of those things, I heard that so many times in documentaries about Hendrix even from the mouth of the late great Mitch Mitchell. I just assumed that it must be the truth.

Again, it's so difficult to express one's words by typing them down, you can't adjust your voice a little to sound either sarcastically, or inquisitive. I have learned a lot about Rock and the history of music and I know that I don't know everything. But it was NEVER my intention to come across as someone who's insensitive, a wise guy, a trouble maker or clueless.

So to get this off my chest, Dave, Ilan and everybody I failed to mention, I'm sorry.

Sincerely, Wouter Jaegers

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: A public apology.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 06:53:57 PM »
Wouter, apology accepted on my part. You said in a couple of threads that you didn't intend to come across as rude, and I believed you then. Sometimes you just need to step back, take a deep breath and realize that when you bombard people with too much information, links, videos etc. it comes across as if you think you always know more than everybody else, even if you don't intend it that way.

I hope everyone here understands that you can just relax here. You don't have to be an authority about anything to be a part of this forum.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 01:23:05 AM »
For the avoidance of doubt and speaking also on behalf of the great John Fertig: Fusion threads are strictly allowed!!!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 06:50:38 AM »
For the avoidance of doubt and speaking also on behalf of the great John Fertig: Fusion threads are strictly allowed!!!

Woo Hoo,  Party time!!  ;D
Digresion our specialty!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 07:41:45 AM »

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 07:42:23 AM »

I'm finding people in general here, not liking certain things (genre's), so shape your threads around that or if you really want post it in another forum with more "like" minded people. There are more Fusion, techno & metal genre fans at Talkbass.

Not that anyone is not allowed or can't post that stuff here, but you have to realize that your not going to make converts or get a large discussion (number of people) going on something that most here have little interest in.

I'm not suggesting going away, but other forums might be less frustrating trying to express the brilliance others can't seem to grasp.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 08:02:08 AM »
Let's not get carried away: Anybody is free to post about the music he likes here. There are no musical off-limits. No, and I would not deny Messrs Miller, Clarke and Wooten membership if they chose to join us. Free your mind.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 10:33:11 AM »
   ;D
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 10:44:22 AM »
There are no musical off-limits

So even this is acceptable?

I feel freeeeeeee!!!    :)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 05:49:22 PM by chromium »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 11:08:58 AM »
I like Joan Baez. I like her voice too. There, I've said it.

And I also like the Village People though this version is perhaps a bit too daring! But it still is a great uplifting tune, YMSKA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZTevbp24Jk&feature=PlayList&p=66DD5E330B2E5757&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=42

Blazer

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 11:17:09 AM »
So even this is acceptable?

I feel freeeeeeee!!!    :)

I'll gladly raise you...

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 12:09:51 PM »
Apology without penance?

« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 04:34:39 PM by Dave W »
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 12:13:46 PM »
What's wrong with Ella's version? Jack Bruce is on record for saying he wrote the riff on double bass, so it's all snugly full circle.

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 10:00:30 PM »
Every time I hear the word 'fusion' I reach for the nearest '69 EB-O and plug it into the nearest Ampeg SVT Stack consistin of 4X10's and 2X15's and start meditating!

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 11:39:19 PM »
THATS IT! you guys, Im gonna proudly post my pseudo Sienfeld-esque ..um....thingy that did last year and make you all cry.........
  /me goes off to find it in the archaic archives.
Digresion our specialty!