Author Topic: Let's see your rig!  (Read 224112 times)

morrow

• View Profile
Re: Let's see your rig!
« Reply #615 on: April 22, 2023, 05:27:58 AM »
For some reason I was hankering for an Aguilar SL112 cab. They’re not common up this way. With the Cdn dollar being what it is I was reluctant to order from the US , I’d get euchred with the exchange and the duties. And there’s always the dangers of shipping a considerably sized box. I looked at Canadian sites and uncovered one in Winnipeg , the seller was not willing to ship. I pretty much assumed this was not going to be. These searches had been going on for some time.
And then one popped up here in town , a bit pricey , but I immediately snagged it.
Now this is pretty much going to reside at home , but I might take it downtown this weekend to hear it up at room levels. 
Nice cab! I’ll be running it through various amps. Nerding out.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #616 on: April 22, 2023, 07:28:29 AM »
I've heard some good things about the Aguilar cabs....good sound for the $.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #617 on: June 28, 2023, 04:00:54 PM »
It’s a great cab. In fact I started looking around for a slightly used Tonehammer head for it. I’d like to use it with a head that was designed for it. The hammers come in 350, 500 and 700 watt sizes , and since this is just for home use the 350 would be fine.
So I’ve been looking around for a while , and today one popped up for sale in Harrisburg PA , the deal is done.
I’m excited!

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #618 on: July 11, 2023, 07:52:45 AM »
And it arrived this morning.
I’m spinning the knobs and getting an understanding of how this works. This is not a hifi head and I’ve been setting the gain just below the distortion point , so it’s got some girth but is not gnarly.
It’s a fine little amp , I’m very happy to have found it. For the time being I’m at the in-laws running it with a mini Phil Jones cab but it will eventually go home to sit on my Aggie cab.

I like it!

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #619 on: July 12, 2023, 02:18:41 PM »
And a pic , here at the practice nook at the in-laws with the little PhilJones cab. It will eventually stay at home. Spent most of the day playing around with the SG through it.

I really like it

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: July 13, 2023, 08:12:13 AM »
Glad you like it. I've only heard good things about Aguilar heads.

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #621 on: July 13, 2023, 09:14:28 AM »
The SG is wonderful with that little amp. Strung with flats it’s got a very distinct warm thump to it . It’s making that amp sound really nice.
Aguilar don’t use an assembly line making those amps. One guy puts it together.

soulman

• Just an old weekend warrior on his last outpost
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: January 23, 2024, 12:43:53 AM »
New to me and more recently harder than hell to get is a Genzler Magellan 350 Series 2 Combo.  It's sitting on top of my Epifani UL2 212 cab which I'm selling to replace with a Genzler BA2-112-3 Cab.
Surely some day my epitaph will read; "Don't mind him. He's just the bassist".

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #623 on: January 23, 2024, 06:12:14 AM »

I’ve been using a Barefaced One10 for rehearsals , and a Berg 112 for most gigs  , I can add a Berg 210 if I need more cab , but in the mid sized rooms I normally play the 112. I’ve been running a tube pre into the effect return of my Forte for power and flavour and get what I was striving for. A big warm old school thump. The tube pre delivers that. The Forte gives me 350 watts at 8ohms , 700 at 4.
So my gig gear is modular , everything is light , I’ve got tons of headroom , and have the tone I spent some years searching for.

At home I have some small dedicated practice rigs. This is the stuff I drive around.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #624 on: January 23, 2024, 03:15:44 PM »
New to me and more recently harder than hell to get is a Genzler Magellan 350 Series 2 Combo.  It's sitting on top of my Epifani UL2 212 cab which I'm selling to replace with a Genzler BA2-112-3 Cab.

Welcome, @soulman. Nice to see that you made it here. 
« Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 04:58:26 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

soulman

• View Profile
« Reply #625 on: January 23, 2024, 07:53:39 PM »
Welcome, @soulman. Nice to see that you made it here.

Yup, and thanks for guiding my way sir.  I'm still just wandering around getting the lay of land and hoping to get to know more of the players.  Some great looking rigs shown here as well.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #626 on: January 24, 2024, 11:58:44 AM »

Nice, and welcome!
How do you like the Genzler gear compared to Genz-Benz, did you ever play those?

I have stopped even thinking about buying new amps since I completed my current rig around 2008:
Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.0 head with one or both of EA CXL110 and EA CXL112.  If the Shuttle ever dies I would love to try a Genzler.

But, as I get older (currently 53 and not in the best shape I've been)... I start wondering if I should replace the 45-pound 112 with one of the modern ultralight cabs. The low end flatness of that cab is just amazing though.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2024, 06:14:33 PM by slinkp »
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #627 on: January 24, 2024, 05:18:43 PM »
Andy Field , who designed much of the later GenzBenz amps continues to service them. I sent a Streamliner to him to get checked out and now it’s like a brand new amp. I felt it was well worth investing in. It wasn’t expensive. Money well spent.
He is in California though.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #628 on: January 25, 2024, 07:29:27 AM »
Nice, and welcome!
How do you like the Genzler gear compared to Genz-Benz, did you ever play those?

I have stopped even thinking about buying new amps since I got my current rig over a decade ago:
Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.0 head with one or both of EA CXL110 and EA CXL112.  If the Shuttle ever dies I would love to try a Genzler.

But, as I get older (currently 53 and not in the best shape I've been)... I start wondering if I should replace the 45-pound 112 with one of the modern ultralight cabs. The low end flatness of that cab is just amazing though.

I think it was in 2010 or 2012 (age 60 or 62, depending) that my lovely wife gave me a Shuttle 6.0 and a pair of the T12 Shuttle speaker cabs for Christmas.  I later swapped the 6.0 for a Shuttle 6.2 because I heard its voicing was a bit deeper, but I'll be darned if I can hear any difference. I sure like the docking amp on the T12 cab.

soulman

• View Profile
« Reply #629 on: January 25, 2024, 11:01:15 PM »
Nice, and welcome!

I have stopped even thinking about buying new amps since I completed my current rig around 2008:

Although it always interested me I've never owned any Genz-Benz gear.  So this is my first experience with Jeff Genzler's amps and cabs but Pilgrim is a friend and a neighbor if you will as we both live in Ft. Collins, CO and he's always been very complimentary of his Shuttle head.  The MG350 is perfect for me and I love it's EQ set up with the contour control and the sweep-able mids.

It may actually be the easiest bass amp to EQ I've ever used. I can use the contour control to give me the basic EQ curve I want then just use Bass, Treble, and Mids to fine tune for whatever bass I'm playing.  It should also be that easy to EQ for room acoustics but I haven't gigged with it yet.  No lack of power either.  It puts out more than enough volume for my needs.

Although my Epifani 212 weighs just over 50lbs I live in a second floor unit with no elevator so it would be a bear to haul up and down 22 steps leading to the second floor.  It's an incredible cab and sounds great with the BA-110 but I want to cut down on size and weight so the Genzler BA cabs are where I'm headed.  I would call them very transparent and uncolored.

That little BA 110 has an amazing range and a full yet tight low end.  Once I can add a BA 112 to it I'll be able to use the full 350w output of the head when needed or I can go with a solo cab @ 175w.  All of my other more powerful heads and other cabs are gone except that UL2 212 and it's for sale along with a brand the new never used MG350 head I got with the combo.  I already had one I'd bought previously.