Author Topic: Tough review  (Read 2384 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Tough review
« on: January 21, 2009, 06:12:59 AM »
OK, I've had my Mosrite Celebrity bass for several months now.  I took it totally apart to clean and repair some age induced issues (broken pup wire, ill-fitting neck joint, nick down to the wood, truss rod issues, etc).  I've spent a lot of time with this bass and have come to several conclusions.

1.  They are very unique in their styling, not trying to copy any of the other guitar makers of the time.
2.  The construction was very good, but not as good as Fender or Gibson.
3.  The pickups on this bass are as unremarkable as Dave and Scott said they were.
4.  I've spent hours on it and it just sounds like crap and doesn't even play all that well.
5.  It's toast, I'm parting it out to buy some power tools!

End of my Mosrite saga.  I'll stick to Gibsons and Guilds.  They really knew how to build hollow body instruments.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

rahock

• View Profile
Re: Tough review
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 06:55:05 AM »
Sad ending to the story :sad:
I always liked the way they looked and felt but as it's been said many times , many ways, the pickups need more juice to make it right.
Rick

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 07:07:10 AM »
Both pups measure out at 8.3 k, which you would think would be enough, but there's more to it.  I suspect the construction and materials also contribute to their lackluster performance.  Oh well, I'm going to make some folks very happy when they see the nice collection of parts that will be available on eBay.  And my shop will be happy too!

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 09:29:31 AM »

You're going to send it off to the Knackerman...............Just like the family minivan.
A most disturbing tendancy  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 09:41:40 AM »

5.  It's toast, I'm parting it out to buy some power tools!

Fine, but please realize that you don't have to justify buying more power tools. And you certainly don't need to wait until you actually need them to buy them.  ;D

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 11:53:21 AM »
Sorry to hear that about the Mosrite!

I thought the curriculum of Advanced Power Tool 501 (Graduate level) includes planning each project so that it justifies buying another tool before you can start the project.  A properly sequenced set of projects can lead to a nicely equipped shop.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 12:50:05 PM »
You're going to send it off to the Knackerman...............Just like the family minivan.
A most disturbing tendancy  ;)

Oh yeah, I'm getting less sentimental in my old age!!!!  And the van is resting happily at a local non-profit country museum where the grounds folks now use it as a rolling tool shed!  Pretty cool ,no?

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 12:51:30 PM »
Fine, but please realize that you don't have to justify buying more power tools. And you certainly don't need to wait until you actually need them to buy them.  ;D

My problem has been financial support for my tool needs, not requirements for them!  Every time I rehab or buy a bass, I have trouble letting it go.  SO, I gotta sell something once in awhile to expand my capabilities.  It's all good!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 12:53:43 PM »
Sorry to hear that about the Mosrite!

I thought the curriculum of Advanced Power Tool 501 (Graduate level) includes planning each project so that it justifies buying another tool before you can start the project.  A properly sequenced set of projects can lead to a nicely equipped shop.

I used this "man law" you refer to Al for years.  But the wife has caught on and I need to generate more of my own "shop funding" as she has been spending my disposable funds on things like new kitchens, hardwood floors, blah, blah blah!!!

At least the house is a lot nicer now and we're both loving it.  But it sure hurts my shop expansion potential.

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 01:25:50 PM »
I used this "man law" you refer to Al for years.  But the wife has caught on and I need to generate more of my own "shop funding" as she has been spending my disposable funds on things like new kitchens, hardwood floors, blah, blah blah!!!

At least the house is a lot nicer now and we're both loving it.  But it sure hurts my shop expansion potential.

if all else fails: ... fall on her bosum gently displaying a profound weakness of your knees and start bawling with real tears and with many sobs elaborate on how good she is for you.
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 02:34:25 PM »
if all else fails: ... fall on her bosum gently displaying a profound weakness of your knees and start bawling with real tears and with many sobs elaborate on how good she is for you.

Every time I do that with my wife I end up getting all distracted.  Of course, that's OK too.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009, 02:41:44 PM »
Fine, but please realize that you don't have to justify buying more power tools.

I have to justify ANYTHING to my wife and myself with a home mortgage & college payments at the same time.

Bass Nazi sez

"No More Basses for You!"

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2009, 03:01:18 PM »

Finally you all see the benifits of being both the man and woman of the house,
all my arguements about money are won be me! I get what I want  ;D
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 03:06:47 PM »
Finally you all see the benifits of being both the man and woman of the house,
all my arguements about money are won be me! I get what I want  ;D

I get what I want too and it isn't always money or power tools!  I hear ya Al!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2009, 03:08:47 PM »
Did I forget to mention college tuition for my son? That's even more than home improvements!   I'm so glad I only had 2 kids!  In another year, I'm gonna have so much disposable income, I'm probably gonna have a bit of a problem containing myself.  But I'll manage anyway!