Author Topic: Tough review  (Read 2383 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: Tough review
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2009, 08:58:42 AM »
I also meant to mention that the Vox bass I built out of an old Vox Tornado body sounds ten times better than the Mosrite did.  The Vox-clone pup made by Phantom guitars is a great pup and I'd use one again  (in fact I'm planning on it).
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

rockinrayduke

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2009, 12:43:53 PM »
I guess you're not interested in this one then......... :mrgreen:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/msg/1002265431.html

I keed, I keed!! ;D

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2009, 01:48:12 PM »
Is that another 24" scale frankenbass or is it the same one Bill almost got stuck with a few months ago?

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2009, 02:39:15 PM »
I also meant to mention that the Vox bass I built out of an old Vox Tornado body sounds ten times better than the Mosrite did.  The Vox-clone pup made by Phantom guitars is a great pup and I'd use one again  (in fact I'm planning on it).

It's interesting that you brought the name Vox into the picture. The only guy I knew who really got a nice sound out of his Mosrite bass (about 40 years ago) was using a Vox amp. I can't recall the model name. Everyone called it a Super Beatle, but it wasn't. It was a bit less power than than the 240 watt Beatle, it was a tube head and it had a 15" and a 10" speaker in the cab. The Mosrite lacked balls through anything else he tried, but that amp did it up real well. Another story with a sad ending :sad:.
He kept blowing the 10" speaker so he got rid of the amp. He couldn't find anything else that sounded good with the Mosrite , so he dumped it too :o
Rick

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2009, 05:06:17 PM »
I guess you're not interested in this one then......... :mrgreen:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/msg/1002265431.html

I keed, I keed!! ;D

Damn, that's another of those stupid frankenbasses Semie made with a 24" scale neck.  I don't get it.  Could there actually have been a market for them?  I can't imagine anyone would actually want one.  Talk about farting in a bathtub!!!!   Besides the one I got and returned to Andy Mosley (with PayPal's help), I've bet I've seen 3 or 4 of these for sale in various places.  What the hell was he smoking back then?  I think I know!   8)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2009, 05:11:30 PM »
It's interesting that you brought the name Vox into the picture. The only guy I knew who really got a nice sound out of his Mosrite bass (about 40 years ago) was using a Vox amp. I can't recall the model name. Everyone called it a Super Beatle, but it wasn't. It was a bit less power than than the 240 watt Beatle, it was a tube head and it had a 15" and a 10" speaker in the cab. The Mosrite lacked balls through anything else he tried, but that amp did it up real well. Another story with a sad ending :sad:.
He kept blowing the 10" speaker so he got rid of the amp. He couldn't find anything else that sounded good with the Mosrite , so he dumped it too :o
Rick

I love the look of both the hollow and solid Mosrite basses.  I give Semie credit, he didn't copy anyone else, his designs were original and attractive.  The electronics leave a lot to be desired though.  I actually thought about keeping it and putting TV Jones ThunderTrons in it, but I got such a good deal on it, I figured I could get all of my minimal investment back by parting it out.  Besides, the Celebrity basses weren't the top of the line, so breaking it up wasn't a major sin, just a minor one.  I know lots of Mosrite folks who will be very happy withe parts I'm providing.  Best wishes to all of them.  Now, back to my power tool shopping list................. ;)