Author Topic: Gretsch , a big old orange one  (Read 1484 times)

morrow

• View Profile
Gretsch , a big old orange one
« on: November 29, 2023, 04:13:16 PM »
It looks like I just bought an orange G5123B. Herself loves big orange Gretsches. Mentioned it the other day and I did a google search just for fun. I must have done the same search a dozen times before. Found several for sale , but was taken by one in Weymouth Mass. Talked it over with Herself and put in an offer.
It was accepted.
Shouldn’t take too long to arrive. I’ve been looking over these for some years.

Ken

• View Profile
Re: Gretsch , a big old orange one
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2023, 07:34:22 PM »
That's really pretty.  Good luck with it!

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2023, 10:51:16 PM »
Looks like a good choice.
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2023, 01:51:35 AM »
Is that the 32" TV Jones pickup LimEd?

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2023, 05:26:29 AM »
Yes indeed. There was a limited run in Europe too.
I’m no stranger to hollow bodies. These do not have a center block.
Herself offered to buy it but my little musical emergency fund was good. I’m looking forward to playing it.
I guess it was inevitable.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2023, 05:40:06 AM »
I reviewed that bass and I regret not buying it at the time., Great sound, great looks, the 32" plays great. I bought the Billy Bo later, so I'm okat, but that's really one that got away. The one I tested and reviewed was from the European limited run. I thought it looked and sounded much better than other affordable Gretsches. Good luck with it and have fun!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2023, 07:48:38 AM »
Very nice!  :thumbsup:

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2023, 08:16:28 AM »
I bought one of the first run. There was a long thread about them on TB which alerted me to their availability at GC.

The local GC in Fort Collins had sold theirs (in theory, each store only got one in the first issue) but talked them into having one of the Denver stores send theirs up for me. I committed sight unseen, as I love Gretsch instruments and that although orange isn't my favorite color but THAT orange is a lovely color that only Gretsch does well.

Those first issues didn't come with cases, but I found a RoadRunner hard case that fit nicely and shared the part number on the TB thread. I know a lot of people bought them to go with the 5123s. I suspect the case in the photo is one of them.

I really like mine, and it feels good just to hold it and play it. Of course, it received my favorite Labella Deep Talkin' flats immediately.  If memory serves, the pickups are ThunderTrons. Also, IIRC I bought a longer than usual strap because the body is a bit deeper front to back than the 335-style hollowbodies, and the bass hung better with a longer strap.

Enjoy!!

BTW - here's the original TB thread: https://www.talkbass.com/threads/new-gretsch-electromatic-hollowbody-bass.713507/#post10458997

And here's one where people were comparing serial numbers. You might figure out the approximate age of the bass by comparing to yours:
 https://www.talkbass.com/threads/gretsch-g5123b-serial-numbers.742249/

« Last Edit: November 30, 2023, 10:43:32 AM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2023, 10:24:18 AM »
I think there might already be flats on it. If not I’ll be tossing a set on right away. I want this to be a thumper.

It will ship later today.

Sometime things can sit in Customs for days , I hope this won’t be sitting around for too long. I’m looking forward to playing this. I have a big white Eastwood take on a Gretsch hollow body and have been putting time there so I’ll be quite comfy with it once it arrives.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2023, 10:39:42 AM »
I'm confident that you will have a really nice pair of basses there!!  Enjoy!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2023, 02:55:30 PM »
Arrived today , very, very slight bridge tweak , already strung with flats. Herself was floored by it. It is a gorgeous looking thing.

Nic woody tone , I’m just playing it through the mini practice rig at the in-laws. Lots of character. I really love the neck , has some nice heft , but not uncomfortable. They did a nice balancing act there. I wish the usual Thurs rehearsal was happening so I could hear it at drum levels. I do have the Sunday jam to hear it at room levels. So far I’m about as happy as could be. It did come with the Roadrunner case many seem to have bought for it.

Not a mark on it. Beautiful shape.

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2023, 04:22:28 PM »
BTW - here's the original TB thread: https://www.talkbass.com/threads/new-gretsch-electromatic-hollowbody-bass.713507/#post10458997

And here's one where people were comparing serial numbers. You might figure out the approximate age of the bass by comparing to yours:
 https://www.talkbass.com/threads/gretsch-g5123b-serial-numbers.742249/

Thankyou for those threads , Pilgrim. I’m caught at the moment between playing it and just admiring the look of it. It will be nice to know the background a little better.

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2023, 07:56:09 PM »
Great looking!
Congrats

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2023, 10:00:28 AM »

Quick video , just the mic in my iPad , but this has a very pleasant woody thump. I don’t recognize the flats on this but may replace them with something a touch lighter , I think TI’s would work beautifully on this. I didn’t bother flipping the selector switch or the tone knob , but there is a mix of nails and fingers. I’m looking forward to plugging this into a larger amp.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2023, 10:20:54 AM »
You probably know this, but make it a habit to tighten the screw-down strap buttons every time you pick up the bass. They're not overly prone to loosening up, but it can happen.