Author Topic: Gretsch , a big old orange one  (Read 1483 times)

Ken

• View Profile
Re: Gretsch , a big old orange one
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2023, 10:54:04 AM »
That both looks and sounds great.  I wonder how bright rounds would sound on it.

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2023, 11:08:56 AM »
You probably know this, but make it a habit to tighten the screw-down strap buttons every time you pick up the bass. They're not overly prone to loosening up, but it can happen.

I’m planning to put a toothpick up there this afternoon. I’ll be using the classic skinny belt with a shoulder pad type of strap with it. Much of the time I can play sitting down , but there’s one gig where that is really not an option.

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2023, 12:12:06 PM »
I brought the Gretsch to the jam last night , and also got to hear a couple of friends play it. Stage sound was simply gorgeous. It came with flats , fairly heavy ones. Might put on a lighter set of flats , might just leave it. It sounds wonderful. Out in the front of the room the sound was perfect.
It’s a big bodied bass.
Those that played it last night loved it.
My serial number is KS10113976 so it’s a bit later in the run. The bass looks like it was never played. No dings , chips or scratches. No sign of any fretwear. Beautiful , like new condition.
It’s a big thing to lug around , but looks beautiful , and sounds as good as it looks. Nice warm woody thump. I was using a nice amp.
I’m really happy to have picked it up. And thank Herself for suggesting it. Before that I really had no intention to buy another bass.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2023, 01:12:52 PM »
Sounds like it filled a gap in your bass selection that you didn't know you had!  Glad you like it.

Yes, the body is 1-2 inches deeper than many hollows, so it does feel bigger to play.

Incidentally, I found a Gretsch tooled (stamped) G6332 guitar strap that looks great on it. Here's one of the better prices, but it's available many places:

https://reverb.com/p/gretsch-g6332-tooled-vintage-leather-1-guitar-strap-with-amber-jeweled-buckle
« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 01:20:34 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2023, 05:52:13 AM »
I had a Rivoli , that looked better than it sounded , sold it , and missed looking at it. So when a white Eastwood Gretsch style hollow body popped up on kijiji for a good price I snagged it. I have about a half dozen short scale hollow bodies , but three are Danos.
Before buying the Gretsch I started playing the Eastwood to get a rough feel for the size and big body. The Eastwood is actually a pretty good bass , but the TV Jones pickups in the new Gretsch certainly give it a much nicer warmer woody tone. And it is a bigass orange Gretsch.
I’ve got twenty something basses , so I’m far from collector status , but have still acquired a good sized pile of them. There’s only a couple I’d sell at the moment. I mentioned selling the Eastwood to Herself after buying the Gretsch and she said the white one was beautiful , and not to sell it.
I have cab , and maybe a couple of amps I’d like to sell , but not before Christmas , I’ll probably wait until tax return season in March or so …
I used a vintage Gretsch padded strap for years and years , and have a new one in that style. Thin strap with the sliding shoulder pad , the classic vintage strap.