Author Topic: The G&L lightning struck....  (Read 2588 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
The G&L lightning struck....
« on: October 15, 2021, 11:39:24 AM »
The spirit of Damon Runyan is slightly with me this morning.....

So, I'm hanging out in a nice pawnshop in downtown Pagosa Springs, which is a nice little town if you're not too into urban settings. I'm helping my friend Gimpy Bob hunt for a stereo receiver to replace his kaput one, since of course this little town of 2,000 has no joint where a guy can buy a new stereo on a Saturday, or mostly any other day, for that matter.

Now, Gimpy Bob is a nice guy, and seein' as how I do the stereo stuff, we are very pleased when we find a not very old Sony receiver that will do just what he needs.

I am hanging out by the counter while Bob does the credit card tap dance with the shop owner, when my wife has a moment of insanity.

"Wow, that's a pretty bass" she sez.

And since I am always a thoughtful and supportive husband, I sez "What bass is that?".....................

My lovely wife points to a blue metallic object on the guitar rack. I am struck by the attractive appearance of this bass, but notice that it is not of the Fender persuasion even though it's jazz-shaped. But upon a bit of handling and plucking, I decide that this proposition is both more than somewhat good-looking, and nicely playable. More examination shows that it's a very recent G&L JB Tribute, with at least one Seymour Duncan pickup added, and a maple neck that's only 1.5 inches at the nut. This is indeed a very fast neck with satin finish, pleasant to the hand. The proprietor clues me in that there's a nice hard case with the original hex wrenches and, a new guitar cable, strap and basic clip-on tuner.

So at this point, I decide that if my wife finds this bass to be so attractive, it should come home with us. I find myself doing the credit card tap dance with the proprietor, and carry this new axe out to the car.  Sometimes lack of planning does not prevent finding a new bass.

Labella low tension flats are ordered and should arrive this weekend.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 02:14:46 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

morrow

• View Profile
Re: The lightning struck again....
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 11:53:40 AM »
Those Tributes are fine basses , I have an older Korean L2500 . On the heavy side , but a great bass .
Did you get the burst/maple combination ? 

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: The lightning struck again....
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 02:16:42 PM »
Those Tributes are fine basses , I have an older Korean L2500 . On the heavy side , but a great bass .
Did you get the burst/maple combination ?

Now that I've figured out how to attach photos, you can see the Lake Placid Blue result.....
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

morrow

• View Profile
Re: The G&L lightning struck....
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2021, 04:42:36 PM »
There’s a little screw on the side of the bridge that locks everything up . You have to loosen it to adjust the bridge . And the tributes are metric … it’s a tiny little hex thing .

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2021, 05:10:01 PM »
Nice find!

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2021, 06:36:54 PM »
Funny someone would replace the stock pickup .

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2021, 08:01:11 PM »
Funny someone would replace the stock pickup .

Seems odd to me too. It doesn't look like a screwdriver has ever touched the pickup mounting screws. And why would someone buy and install that pickup, then pawn it?

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2021, 10:00:38 PM »
Nice! I love the color on a J.

People who change the pickup on a relatively new bass and then get rid of it make me shake my head. If you make a commitment to improving it, at least stick with it for awhile. Three or four years ago there was an almost new (US) G&L SB-1 in a local shop. The guy had special ordered it, got it, changed that excellent G&L P pickup for an (ugh!) EMG Geezer Butler P. Then traded it back in. The shop was only asking $700 for a bass that must have gone for $13-1400 new, so the guy really took a beating on that one when he traded it in.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2021, 08:48:30 AM »
Nice.  Totally not my bag but that's a cool colour.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2021, 09:54:00 AM »
My wife spilled the beans about the bass today. She says she pointed out the bass because she figured I'd spot it soon anyway.  We needed to get back to our friends' house to watch the WSU game, and she figured she might as well move me along a bit faster than I'd move by myself. It did seem like she was remarkably quiet while I was checking out the bass and making the deal.

Oh man, you live with someone for a mere 37 years and they already know you that well......

At least I got the like-new bass with the "upgraded" pickup and hard case for under $400, about $125 off the new street price.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2021, 08:04:13 AM »
Nice looking bass, and funny story! They even threw in an extra fret!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2021, 09:29:03 AM »
Yeah, I've been playing mostly short scale, but the narrow neck makes it a bit easier to play this 34" neck.

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2021, 03:42:05 PM »

Oh man, you live with someone for a mere 37 years and they already know you that well......

:rimshot:

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2021, 07:15:45 PM »
I’ve been mostly playing short scale basses , bought some interesting long scales since  , but continue to prefer short scales .
The exceptions were a Yamaha Flying Samurai and a Riverhead Unicorn . Interesting basses !

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2021, 08:36:10 PM »
Any photos? Not familiar with either one...